Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #1

You can't buy gas in the South

In the last two years we have seen a huge change in how interstate gas stops are set up. We just returned from a trip to Orlando (from Ohio).

Gas became a problem right away and continued to be a problem the entire trip until we got as far north as WV/KY.

It is the new configuration of gas stops that is driving us nuts; we can't get in to the pumps and if we do, we can't get back out. I imagine you know what I am talking about. They have changed the configuration of gas stations, from having two or three lanes of pumps laid out parallel with the road to setting up 8-10 pump islands set up perpendicular to the road. Great for getting more cars to the pumps at one time but impossible for larger rigs to use.

Like many of you, our rig is 57 feet long with the jeep attached. And also like most (but not all) with a gas rig you have a larger turning radius because you can't create a 55 degree cut when you have an engine sitting between the two front wheels. So even if you can angle in (blocking two islands typically) you don't have the wheel cut to pull out. These islands put you in the position of having to drive toward the building, or toward the curb, even if there are no cars parked in the spaces in front of the building, it is still doubtful you can make that sharp turn. It doesn’t help the problem when they fill the area on either end of the islands with parking spaces.

This was really a frustrating situation this trip. We made a half dozen dry attempts to get gas off the interstate until we found an older gas stop that had the longer islands with enough space to get in and out.

The turnpike plazas have proper entry and exit setups and the truck stops do too but again only one or two the rest of the islands are the short ones.

We made 6 successful stops for gas and half again that many unsuccessful stops. The point is, though we did find gas on the 2100 mile trip, it wasn’t easy and I find some stops to be a little stressful as you try not to swing the toad into the pumps on the way out while also watching the curb, building and traffic. If you get caught or blocked, there is only one way out, disconnect the toad, something I try to avoid when on the road.

This is not as much a problem for shorter rigs of course.

What are others with 36/40 foot rigs doing about this? Have you find a way to use these new set ups?
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #2

Roll,
I favor Flying J with RV lanes. Some I have found to be very very busy but easy in and out with the dedicated lanes. We have the Pilot App on our phones and plan our fuel stops around them. Also a number of Love's have lots of clearance around the pump lanes.
Good luck,
Larry...

2013 Coachmen Encounter 36KS, 2020 Chevrolet Equinox toad, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Brake Buddy Vantage Select, Protect-a-Tow, 5 Star Tune, M4 LED lights, BIRD, ATS, Xantrex PROwatt 1000 SW Inverter and many other accessories & mods.
LLVanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #3

I use Flying J/Pilot as often as possible. It is difficult in the Florida Keys to find gas stations that I can get into with a 37 MH and a Jeep.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #4

Looks like the planners, like you eluded too, are maximizing pump layout for the auto. That makes sense, but causes a huge problem for rigs like yours. I don't see those same planners, taking into account, customers using those fuel island layouts with 50+ foot rigs since $'s sold drives the layout.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #5

I use a combination of Gas Buddy and Google maps (using the Satellite view) to preview where I'm going...I can usually see the layout of the station in the Sat view and plan accordingly, sometimes skipping the station that is tight looking.

I've also found much cheaper gas before or after major cities (about 30-50 miles out). Many times in the plains states, the stations that cater to the cattle semis have way cheaper fuel than the name brand sites close in. Probably not much help on the east coast corridor tho :-/
smo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
In the last two years we have seen a huge change in how interstate gas stops are set up. We just returned from a trip to Orlando (from Ohio).

Gas became a problem right away and continued to be a problem the entire trip until we got as far north as WV/KY.

It is the new configuration of gas stops that is driving us nuts; we can't get in to the pumps and if we do, we can't get back out. I imagine you know what I am talking about. They have changed the configuration of gas stations, from having two or three lanes of pumps laid out parallel with the road to setting up 8-10 pump islands set up perpendicular to the road. Great for getting more cars to the pumps at one time but impossible for larger rigs to use.

Like many of you, our rig is 57 feet long with the jeep attached. And also like most (but not all) with a gas rig you have a larger turning radius because you can't create a 55 degree cut when you have an engine sitting between the two front wheels. So even if you can angle in (blocking two islands typically) you don't have the wheel cut to pull out. These islands put you in the position of having to drive toward the building, or toward the curb, even if there are no cars parked in the spaces in front of the building, it is still doubtful you can make that sharp turn. It doesn’t help the problem when they fill the area on either end of the islands with parking spaces.

This was really a frustrating situation this trip. We made a half dozen dry attempts to get gas off the interstate until we found an older gas stop that had the longer islands with enough space to get in and out.

The turnpike plazas have proper entry and exit setups and the truck stops do too but again only one or two the rest of the islands are the short ones.

We made 6 successful stops for gas and half again that many unsuccessful stops. The point is, though we did find gas on the 2100 mile trip, it wasn’t easy and I find some stops to be a little stressful as you try not to swing the toad into the pumps on the way out while also watching the curb, building and traffic. If you get caught or blocked, there is only one way out, disconnect the toad, something I try to avoid when on the road.

This is not as much a problem for shorter rigs of course.

What are others with 36/40 foot rigs doing about this? Have you find a way to use these new set ups?
I have a Flying J/Pilot app most of them are pretty easy in and out, same with Truck Stop America. Prefer FJ/P because of rv discount.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge2283 View Post
I use Flying J/Pilot as often as possible. It is difficult in the Florida Keys to find gas stations that I can get into with a 37 MH and a Jeep.
X 2 Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #8

Not nearly the problem of maneuvering to the pumps what I find frustrating in South Carolina is that the price you see on the sign is only for cash. If credit card it is much more. These days who really uses cash especially in a gas hog like an RV? This misleading price is not in North Carolina, or Virginia that I can see. Haven't been in other states in the region but at least I see it all the time in SC.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #9

Ever. There are a lot of stations in CA that have that same cash thing.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #10

QT marks in lower NC and SC and upper GA on I-85. they allow for bigger rigs. We just drove that route a few weeks back. Nice Quickey marts too. Very clean, I do use the Gas and Diesel pumps on the truck sides.
randy
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Not nearly the problem of maneuvering to the pumps what I find frustrating in South Carolina is that the price you see on the sign is only for cash. If credit card it is much more. These days who really uses cash especially in a gas hog like an RV? This misleading price is not in North Carolina, or Virginia that I can see. Haven't been in other states in the region but at least I see it all the time in SC.
Pretty much all the gas stations I see anymore have 2 prices on their signs. One is for cash and one is for credit. I'd guess that for most stations, 90% of their business is going to be people with smaller gas tanks where the savings between cash and credit is only going to be a dollar or two at most. Based on the comments here, RVs are an afterthought for most gas stations.

FWIW, the only reason I ever carry cash is specifically for getting gas for my car. Although I only have to get it once every 2 weeks.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:28 PM   #12
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
They have changed the configuration of gas stations, from having two or three lanes of pumps laid out parallel with the road to setting up 8-10 pump islands set up perpendicular to the road. Great for getting more cars to the pumps at one time but impossible for larger rigs to use.
Roger that and this includes Pilot/FlyingJs w/o dedicated RV lanes. This is the case along I-95 in NC and SC.
My wife has noticed that Shell stations normally have the parallel pump configuration. We have yet to run into a perpendicular pump island layout at a Shell along I-95 south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #13

Cash for gas

It's the same in Washington. Don't make the mistake of thinking that means you can use a debit card. when it says cash, that is exactly what it means. If you use anything other than cash, the additional charge is typically 10 cents, well more than enough to cover any debit or credit expense incurred by the business.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #14

I use FJ/Pilot when ever possible, for the diesel on the rv lane because I'm 53 ft bumper to bumper.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #15

I use the Next Exit book that high lights rv friendly fuel stops along the the trip. Plan fuel stops around rv friendly places. Just upgraded the iExit app and now does the same: Do not leave home without it so to speak. Ran into a serious head wind problem on Interstate in Kansas. Book saved the day as I had to fuel up earlier than planned!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #16
Retired Ford Tech

I have a Sam's club MC and it gives us 5% at any station. When I see the pump configuration like you said, I choose the right most island, then angle the coach so that I'm around 45 degrees at the pump island. When I'm done it's easy to leave!
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #17

flying j

flying j and pilot got me twice with card skimmers, be careful.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
That crap also started in Georgia a couple of years ago. One 'good 'ole boy in the Savannah area started it, and eventually all of the other dealers/distributors in the area and around the state jumped on the band wagon. It was contrary to state law at the time to post a restricted price as the only or most prominent on a price sign. Now, the cash or "club" price is the most prominent displayed. The "club" stuff is a station/chain issue of a debit card. Thanks, but no thanks. The only debit card I will have is one issued from my bank. Consequently, I shop stores that don't have these kinds of price tiers such as Kroger, Wal-Mart, SAM's Club, etc.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandSH View Post
That crap also started in Georgia a couple of years ago. One 'good 'ole boy in the Savannah area started it, and eventually all of the other dealers/distributors in the area and around the state jumped on the band wagon. It was contrary to state law at the time to post a restricted price as the only or most prominent on a price sign. Now, the cash or "club" price is the most prominent displayed. The "club" stuff is a station/chain issue of a debit card. Thanks, but no thanks. The only debit card I will have is one issued from my bank. Consequently, I shop stores that don't have these kinds of price tiers such as Kroger, Wal-Mart, SAM's Club, etc.
Wal-Mart/Sam's Club has had it's own debit card for years. It saves you like 5 cents per gallon.

It's nearly impossible to find a place that doesn't offer something similar.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #20
Georgia Rally Coordinator

It's a crap shoot as far as what station charge whether cash or credit. If I happen to hit a station that gives discount for cash then I pay cash. Most times use Pilot or FlyJ no problem as being a GS member I get 6cent discount off pump price. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas