Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #1

Aviator Electra

I will be picking up my new Aviator Electra this weekend. This will be my third travel trailer and second forest river product. My first forest river was an Rpod which we loved but was simply too small. We then traded for a Gulfstream Visa and unfortunately had enough problems with that unit that it simply made sense to upgrade. Originally we had considered an Airstream but after my research on this unit it simply won out hands down. I hope that this unit preforms in real life as good as it looks on paper and with a simple walk through.
bridge707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #2

Congrats on the purchase!!! Where did you but it??? I have an A orator Wright Flyer and have thoroughly enjoyed it!
ToyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #3

Where did I buy

I picked it up from Bankston Motor Homes in Nashville TN. I have purchased from these folks before and have to say they have been nothing but wonderful to deal with.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #4

Hey Bridge,

Does your father have a motorbike? The reason I asked I met and old man last week in Pigeon Forge and he came over and took pictures of my Aviator and said he was sending them to his son in Nashville to go look at the Aviator that Bankston had in stock. Just wonder if you were the son?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #5

Sorry, not motorbike, I meant motor home.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #6

Nope not me. I had actually taken my Gulfstream in last Saturday for Warranty issues which have been significant and was ore than a little irritated with GS because every time we have had an issue we had to fight with them to get the warranty work authorized. They had this unit on the lot and my wife and I liked its size but price was a little scary. We came home I got online and started researching and the more I read about this unit the more I became convinced that it was the right one for us. The only option it doesn't have is the tablet, which is ok by me cause it would be just one more I would have to learn to operate. Interesting to read all of the comments on issues. My dealer called earlier tonight to tell me the TV in the living area had a scratch on the screen and they were ordering a new one but it wont be there before we pick up on Sat. So far that is the only glitch I am aware of. We shall see what the delivery brings . . .
Old 08-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #7

Well we picked up the new Electra this afternoon. The dealer arranged a camp site for us next to his dealership and I am putting the unit to its first test. My wife gets in from a conference in about an hour and will bring her to the camper. I am very impressed with thing so far. We did have some minor glitches that are being dealt with but suffice it to say I could not be happier. If I have any complaints it is with the lack of outside storage.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #8

travel trailers are not known for an abundance of outside storage. the Wright Flyer has the pass thru in the back and 1 on either side in the front.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #9

Yep just have to restructure how I load. The tow home went without a problem. I was concerned as this is the largest unit I have ever owned.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #10

I got kind of nonchalant about towing my fifth wheel, so towing the Aviator is like not having anything behind me. Drove my wife nuts when I towed the 5th wheel, just kind of forgot it was there .
Old 08-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #11

@Bridge

Formerly GoofyPod right?

<----Travis and Carrie, saw you folks at HorsePark this year. Sorry to hear the Visa didn't work out for you, it was a really nice looking unit.

Hope to bump into you folks again sometime....we really love the Aviators!
kymooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #12

Yep that was us. This new one is known as Goof 3.0 and I am sure we will see each other again
Old 08-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge707 View Post
Yep that was us. This new one is known as Goof 3.0 and I am sure we will see each other again

I hope so, we'd love to see the Aviator! Congratulations!!
kymooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #14

Post a pic of your rig with the Electra!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #15

Will post pictures this weekend
Old 08-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #16

just got back from setting up at Disney, not fun!!! Awning would not open, fabric stuck together, finally got it open, than Disney has had a problem with critters getting into the electric panels, mine was shorted out, flat tire on golf cart, etc, etc, etc. I guess this is normal for me.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #17

I am looking at doing a camp at Disney in the coming year but this weekend when we took our unit out we discovered that the front windshield leaks and the slide out use blows every time we move the unit so it is back to the dealer this week. The sad part is the dealer is 90 miles away so warranty work gets expensive. More as the saga continues.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #18

just got back, more issues
Old 08-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #19

Dropped off my Electra at the dealer today to work on the warranty issues. I have to say my dealer is probably as upset if not more so than I am at the issues. I can only say good things about these folks. I have no doubts that the problems will be fixed and fixed right. I kind of look at it the same way I looked at buying my new home a few years ago there are going to be problems with any type of construction the true measure of the product is how the builder/contractor/ dealer stands by the product and takes care of the problems. Since this is my second Forest River product I can honestly say that they have been easy to work with. I cannot say that of the Gulfstream product that I had before my aviator.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #20

my home is now 1 year and 8 months old, not one problem needed to be addressed under the builders warranty. Aviator use once return for warranty work, repeat. I do realize the issues are minor compared to my last 2 FR products but still at the price they wanted for these there should be very few major issues and no minor ones, besides Airstream there is no other travel trailer that cost this much, quality control should be a high priority, I mean things like my entry door, which was so far out of alignment that it could not be locked, should not have happened!