Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #61
Rivnut

CJ: so sorry to hear the problem you have, I was following your lead and getting things fixed. This shop you referred me to run by Jamie, is in Ardmore,TN. Still have apt for 29 Dec if water at slide corner continues from outside. Will be visiting Dandy in Anniston this week. Will post What he says. Keep me in mind about the Curtains. Regards and hang in there...Rivnut
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #62

Nightjumper6mike. I've had my Aviator Wright FLYER FOR a year and a half. Had three problems that my local dealer fixed. Onboard water tank hose to pump was crimped. Wiring from hitch plug came loose in the underbelly from a cheap, badly crimped butt splice, and front hood did not fit (lots of body work to fix). Other than that, very happy with the unit. This is my fourth TT.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:46 PM   #63

Nice to hear from another Aviator owner. Not too many of us around. Like all brands, there has been some problems but overall I think they have been a pretty solid trailer. It seems like the majority of the owners are located in the south/southeast areas of the country. Maybe someday we can have a mini Aviator rally somewhere along the Gulf Coast.
I don't know of any other owners from the upper Midwest where I am at.
Too damn cold!

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #64

Just converted the vents over and under the bedroom TV to a linen cabinet and liquor cabinet. Just put a shelf 9" deep in the top and hinged the vent grill. Used magnetic catches to keep it closed. Hinged the lower grill from the bottom for the liquor cabnet. This frees up a lots of space in the kitchen cabnets and hall closet. I also replaced the outside TV with a 110vt Sony 31" and installed a Chromecast dongle. Also, added a second spare tire to the rack under the unit. You never know....... Also replaced the water pump with a larger, higher volumn pump as presure to the kitchen and bathroom sinks was way too low.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #65

Those are great ideas! I have also thought the bedroom wall was a lot of wasted space. I really want to do something there, too. Another place that is not well utilized is right above the microwave. I want to hinge that panel instead of it being screwed shut. I keep all my owner's manuals up there now. I never thought about changing the water pump though and with all tire problems I hear an extra spare could come in very handy. I put a small door on either side of the under-dinette storage area so you can access it from the inside of the camper. At the rear of the dinette, I also removed the long storage compartment lid that is under the cushions and cut it in half. This way I have to take only the right or left side cushions to get the the storage area. Before I had to take the entire dinette apart to open the rear lid. I've done plenty of other mods, but am running out of ideas so I would like to hear about any others.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #66

Great idea for the area overs the microwave. Now I have a project for tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #67

Blackhat6Mike, I was wondering if you worked on that space over the microwave yet and how it turned out.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-17-2014, 01:10 AM   #68

Thumbs up

Finished the new cabinet door over the microwave but it wasn't easy. Home Depot had the jack-knifing type of hinges that I had to use. I installed the hinges on top of the removed panel, but broke two drillbits due to the angle I had to work with the drill. Not all that much room up there, but at least it's usable now. Hinges were hard to find without using the mortized hinges where you would need a router.
Also installed a Perko swith on the two batteries. Bat one, bat 2, both or off, take your pick.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:17 AM   #69

While I'm at it.....I also installed plexiglass panels on top of the awning to cover the 6 inch gap between the awning and the roof. Now no rain can come through. They are installed with GOOP and one screw at each end into the awning brases. Roof has no holes in it.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #70

I also installed two battery switches. Nice to have that option. Thanks for sharing on adding the overhead door. That is on my list of improvements this spring. I also ordered two more LED lights for the bedroom closets. With the plexiglass you added, was it to keep water from running between the awning box and down the sidewall? I hadn't noticed a problem but then again, when it was raining I was likely inside the camper so I may not have notice.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #71

Love my Flyer! No more problems with it than either of the 4 units I've owned in the past. I've had it for a year and a half and still discovering neet things about it. It always draws a crowd where ever we go. Available cargo load is 3,300 lbs which is WAY over most units it's size.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #72

The plexiglass covers between the awning and the roof was to keep rain from splashing through. We can now stay under the awning while it is raining. It works well if you get caught in the rain while grilling and I can leave my battery charger running for the trolling motor battery under the awning. We carry a 14 ft canoe with us where ever we go and a large battery will run it all day long and charge over night.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Love my Flyer! No more problems with it than either of the 4 units I've owned in the past. I've had it for a year and a half and still discovering neet things about it. It always draws a crowd where ever we go. Available cargo load is 3,300 lbs which is WAY over most units it's size.
We really like our too. Even though mine is put away in our pole barn when I go inside my eyes are drawn straight to the big front windows and it makes you feel like you are right back outside! I noticed the high 3000 lb carrying capacity too. You could park a small car in back and take some of the weight off that tongue heavy front!

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-25-2015, 01:04 AM   #74
cjearle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
Nice to hear from another Aviator owner. Not too many of us around. Like all brands, there has been some problems but overall I think they have been a pretty solid trailer. It seems like the majority of the owners are located in the south/southeast areas of the country. Maybe someday we can have a mini Aviator rally somewhere along the Gulf Coast.
I don't know of any other owners from the upper Midwest where I am at.
Too damn cold!
That would be great if we could get a Aviator Rally together. It would be small. We would love to see the changes ya'll have done to your aviators!

Carol and Jim Earle
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:11 AM   #75
cjearle

So am I correct? Do we have 5 aviator owners here?
Old 01-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #76

It appears most of the known Aviator owners are not too far from the Gulf Coast and an ocean front RV park would be a great place to go and meet everyone. My biggest problem is we are not yet retired and our youngest son is still in high-school still so getting the time for all of us to travel from Minnesota to the Gulf is hard to do.
We will have to see who all is interested, where they live, and how far they are able to travel.

I will list the Aviator owners I can think of. 7 so far, only 63 to go! Hopefully other owners will see this post and add themselves to the list

CJeale2 Alabama
Blackhat6Mike Georgia
LorettaYoung Texas
Dshome Texas
Naviator South Carolina
Kenhwy61 Minnesota
Rivnut Tennessee

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-27-2015, 12:11 AM   #77
cjearle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
It appears most of the known Aviator owners are not too far from the Gulf Coast and an ocean front RV park would be a great place to go and meet everyone. My biggest problem is we are not yet retired and our youngest son is still in high-school still so getting the time for all of us to travel from Minnesota to the Gulf is hard to do.
We will have to see who all is interested, where they live, and how far they are able to travel.

I will list the Aviator owners I can think of. 7 so far, only 63 to go! Hopefully other owners will see this post and add themselves to the list

CJeale2 Alabama
Blackhat6Mike Georgia
LorettaYoung Texas
Dshome Texas
Naviator South Carolina
Kenhwy61 Minnesota
Rivnut Tennessee

It would also take some time to plan. Most ocean front Rv parks have a waiting list. Especially if we plan something in the summer because of school out. My husband still works as well. about 5-6 more years. He is gone about 20 days a month. Maybe we can get a few or who ever is willing to meet up mid states sometime. It would be fun to have this many aviators together. It would be a head turner event for sure. Kinda like a mustang club but Aviator Club! something to think about.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:22 AM   #78
Rivnut

Count us in, where ever!
Rivnut
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:32 PM   #79

We would love to camp on the ocean someday, but I'm sure so does everyone else which makes hard to get spots. Branson, Missouri might be another good central location for those who can't make it Goshen. But either location still leaves me with my original problem: Too many places, not enough time!
If anyone is looking for a trip north to beat the summer heat, feel free to join us the last week of August on the clear and cool waters of lake Superior in beautiful Grand Marais, MN. Average high temp is a pleasant 70 with low humidity! Or, if you are a fan of the West, check Crystal Springs Rodeo in SD. 3 days of boondocking and rodeos!

Grand Marais Camping Marina RV on Lake Superior

Crystal Springs Ranch Rodeo | Clear Lake, South Dakota | Bareback, Saddle Bronc, Tie Down Roping, Steer Wrestling, Team Roping, Bull Riding, Barrell Racing

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #80
cjearle

O know we are going to try for Goshen. That is if we can get a spot. I heard there has not been any Aviators registered before as group. Hoping to get a group of Aviator owners to go. But I would like to see and visit Lake Superior. Hear it is beautiful! Maybe we can plan some dates. The Beach would be great. Just have to plan way out in advance.