Old 10-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #1

Aviator Owners

Haven't heard much lately from Aviator owners. HOT topic for awhile then nada. Some know now the Aviator style travel trailer we own are now discontinued. It's my hopes that we won't be forgotten as these were pretty pricey trailers and owners deserve continued support from Forest River. As I understand it? about 73 were built by a small group of people that were dedicated in building the Aviator Electra, and the Wright Flyer. The owners of these unts will either be blessed with a high quality trailer that will last as advertised or, cursed with an orphan with no factory support and a resale value far less than expected. In other words, a collector, or a failure that folks will run from like other composite trailer's like the Earthbound, and others that have failed.

So far, mine has been okay I guess, I'm new to the trailer aspect of life on the road so dont have anything else to compare to. I've owned plenty of motor homes over the years and after my last coach a Blue Bird Wanderlodge went up in flames due to a refrigerator fire I decided not to go back into a motor coach. Time will tell if this was worth it or not. So far I've been able to repair all defects myself....a lot simpler than my previous bus...thats for sure.

Slim

Old 10-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #2

FR will support the Aviator right up till the warranty expires on the last of the 70 original units. As it is now any Aviator specific parts, like cabinets, fabrics, carpet exterior parts, etc have to made as a warranty or request for said part is made. They do not stock parts for them. So my guess is that in a couple of years time we will own orphans. As far as resale, you can buy a brand new Wright Flyer with every option including 2nd A/c for less than 54,000 from the same dealer that I bought mine from for 67,000 back in May. I tried to trade it and, well lets just say I will have it a long, long time.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #3

Bob,
Front and rear caps would be hard to get now. Windshields are the same going into the new redesigned Aviator. Cabinets we're on our own, I've spent quite a bit of time aligning and adding inner supports for strength. Caps are fiberglass and repairable if slightly damaged, exterior sidewall damage....couldn't answer that one. Im sure they could be repaired if not too seriously damaged.

Windows, axels, exterior, interior lighting, and all the other stuff aappliances and so forth are used in many other applications. So its not all bad, heck there's a lot of other people in the same boat ...just sucks about the amount of money spent verses the what there really worth.

But, I've always said, you don't lose anything if you don't sell it.

Slim
Old 10-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF1945 View Post
Bob,
Front and rear caps would be hard to get now. Windshields are the same going into the new redesigned Aviator. Cabinets we're on our own, I've spent quite a bit of time aligning and adding inner supports for strength. Caps are fiberglass and repairable if slightly damaged, exterior sidewall damage....couldn't answer that one. Im sure they could be repaired if not too seriously damaged.

Windows, axels, exterior, interior lighting, and all the other stuff aappliances and so forth are used in many other applications. So its not all bad, heck there's a lot of other people in the same boat ...just sucks about the amount of money spent verses the what there really worth.

But, I've always said, you don't lose anything if you don't sell it.

Slim
not very crowded in this boat less than 25 across the country from what I have been told. At this time FR is bending over backwards to keep the parts flowing, they seem to overnight most parts no matter how big, you do have to wait for the item to be made but they ship them fast. My hope is that exterior parts become impossible to find, that way if the front window breaks my insurance will total it, a lot like the yugo in the 80's. but than again the insurance Co. will probably still be able to buy me a new one for far less than I paid and save money.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #5

I think it will take a lot more than windshields to total one. Unless of course the object that broke the glass continues inside the coach and tears other stuff up.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #6

depends on when one breaks one, if the manufacturer that produced it no longer does so or wants a lot to produce a new one, insurance would total it. As I said remember the Yugo, when they stopped importing parts any damage became a total loss. Lets hope things like this do not happen but with a total production of 70 units how many parts suppliers are going to continue to supply them? Just this week my local dealer had to replace the upper cabinets in an aviator FR had to have it made, of coarse it came in damaged so they have to make another one, but the point is if after warranty is over who is going to pay the price if you need said cabinets, windshield, end caps etc if you have to pay a producer to make it for you the cost would be great.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #7

Located an awsome aviator type Rv, after 11 trips this one crashed killing 11 people then Joseph Stalin scrapped the projects for 2 more to be built and had the Engineer/Project Manager executed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Russian Plane.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	40966  
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #8

I want one, but even at the much reduced price, I won't chance it. The reasons given above mirror my thoughts, and hence my reluctance. They are beautiful and unique trailers, and look to be very functional... ie. the coolest TTs ever made, in my opinion... I would also have to upgrade my TV so I'm gonna stick to what I have for now. I wish you all the best with your Aviators...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batts-toy View Post
Located an awsome aviator type Rv, after 11 trips this one crashed killing 11 people then Joseph Stalin scrapped the projects for 2 more to be built and had the Engineer/Project Manager executed.
now that I like. I see a lot of the same engineering in our Aviators.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
now that I like. I see a lot of the same engineering in our Aviators.
now that's funny.

2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote