Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #21

The trailer is still at the dealer repairing the fit and finish issues I had. The rv industry seriously needs to improve its quality control. I appreciate your tips on what else to look for. They are going to hook up water and power to verify everything works. I am going to print off your list and check out all your suggestions!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #22

trying to think of other issues as it has been a while since I used it, but a few things I remembered since this morning are the awning on mine sticks when trying to open and the seals attached to the RV body pull off when the slide is opened. also check the front handles for the hood and make sure they are not loose and the rubber tie downs don't pop off while driving. you also will not be able to use the surround sound with the TV unless you add an optical cable, since you do not have the rear air some of the other issues will not apply. nothing else comes to mind right now. the only thing I caution you on is since your serial number is low, yours was painted by a company that they had problems with so check your paint carefully.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #23

Thanks for letting me know about the other issues. I had read about the paint issue but unless I'm mistaken, I only read about problems with the optional paint job. The fancy paint job looks great but like most things in life, the prettier it is the more trouble there is to be had! The one I bought has been sitting outside for well over a year and as far as I can tell the paint looks good as new. The dealer is taking care of the outside metal storage door latches as they are beginning to rust, but other than that the exterior seems to be weathering well.
I suspect all the gadgetry may be future trouble, but I bought it hoping the main structure lasts a very long time.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #24

I hope so also as I was one of the fools who bought into the Avaitor long before they decided to blow them out and cancel the project. all of the early ones were painted by the same company so just watch for peeling below the window up front and hope you never need any aviator specific parts as they won't be making them.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #25

KenHwy61... I was looking into one of these at Cleburne, Tx. Looks like I waited too long... they sold it. Where are you? I am still following this because I still think these are the coolest TTs ever made. It's a shame more of them won't be made.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
KenHwy61... I was looking into one of these at Cleburne, Tx. Looks like I waited too long... they sold it. Where are you? I am still following this because I still think these are the coolest TTs ever made. It's a shame more of them won't be made.
And the shame would be......? seriously they built 70 over 2 years ago and my local dealer still has 11 for sale. So if they made more than what , more inventory for sale that people just did not want at 90,000. for some reason FR thought that people would drop airstream and buy the Aviator , not going to happen , and as they found it did not.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #27

Bob, it always sucks to pay too much, but that doesn't make a person a fool. If we could predict the future we'd all be stock market millionaires. As far as replacing parts the only thing I really worry about breaking is one of the big front windows. Most everything else is just details.

In response to Shrederman. I live in Minnesota. There are still Aviators out there but I think the price is finally becoming affordable to a fair percentage of the population so I think the rest will be sold sooner rather than later.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:34 PM   #28

Bob's right about it being a failed experiment for Forest River. They underestimated air stream brand loyalty and then were left with a bunch of trailers few could afford.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:18 PM   #29

beleive it or not those lovely curved cabinets have a thin veneer of aluminum over fiber board and they do break, cost for upper cabinet is over 1,000 plus shipping, that is because they have no stock and each one has to be remade.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF1945 View Post
Hello folks,
I'm new to the forum here. I have many years experience in motor homes and buses. My last coach was a Blue Bird Wanderlodge that I owned for eight years. Coming out of a bus to a travel trailer is a big adjustment for me. I wanted somerhing different so decided on the Aviator Wright Flyer. I'm currently rrecovering from rotator cuff surgery "no fun" and haven't had time to get very enthusiastic about it. Hoping to meet other owners here as well.

Thanks
2013 Aviator
Im STILL recovering from BILATERAL rotator cuff repairs (actually rotators, labrum, AND Mumford repairs) ..one in aug and one in oct.....no fun!!..anyway..those are neat trailors!!.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote