Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #1

Aviator Wright Flyer Owner New to Forum

Hello folks,
I'm new to the forum here. I have many years experience in motor homes and buses. My last coach was a Blue Bird Wanderlodge that I owned for eight years. Coming out of a bus to a travel trailer is a big adjustment for me. I wanted somerhing different so decided on the Aviator Wright Flyer. I'm currently rrecovering from rotator cuff surgery "no fun" and haven't had time to get very enthusiastic about it. Hoping to meet other owners here as well.

Thanks
2013 Aviator
AWF1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to FRF!!!

i think you are the first person on this forum, that has actually purchased one of the Aviator trailers.
in fact, i haven't seen anyone on any other RV forum that has bought one.

many here will be interested in pics and your opinions on it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #3

Good luck with that rotator cuff therapy. I just got done with my second tour of total shoulder replacements. Not fun, but much needed.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome. I'm pecking away with one finger for now until I can gain some use of my arm. As far as the pictures, a search here revealed some grest photos already posted. I will try and answer any questions you may have about the Aviator. I am new with it but will answer what I can.

Regards
2013 Aviator
2013 Ram 3500
Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #5

Well, I'll say that I am truly jealous!
I'm wondering though, how does the round table work out for you?
Oh, welcome - I guess... HAHA!!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #6

Twisty, no need to be jealous theres more where mine came from. As far as the table, I like it. Makes a great card table too. Over all a neat TT, a few bugs to work out here and there as with all new units.

2013 Aviator
2013 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins
Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
jdadoug

Nice

Nice Rig there!
That had to set you back a bit? I've never seen one, wife liked it too.
(did a google search)
That has to be one of the more "modern" looking travel trailers on the market..... I like it better than the Air Stream.
Hope you get recovered from your surgery, my wife is two weeks out of a AC joint repair. Needless to say, I've learned a lot about house duties again. jdadoug
Old 01-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Phat Phrog

Welcome and I must say I have never seen the Aviator either! Just googled it and Oh My Gosh it is amazing!!! Wishing you a speedy recovery so you can get out there and enjoy!! I look forward to seeing photos one day!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdadoug View Post
Nice Rig there!
That had to set you back a bit? I've never seen one, wife liked it too.
(did a google search)
That has to be one of the more "modern" looking travel trailers on the market..... I like it better than the Air Stream.
Hope you get recovered from your surgery, my wife is two weeks out of a AC joint repair. Needless to say, I've learned a lot about house duties again. jdadoug

Thanks,

It is a cool looking trailer. We did consider the Airstream, however they seemed like a lot of up keep polishing aluminum, possibility of hail damage, as well as other factors $$. We wanted something with less maintenance but something up for the job. After coming out of a 99 Wanderlodge LXi I've pretty much had my fill of costly repairs and maintenance of which I performed myself which saved me a ton of money.

After eight years of owning the coach the Norcold 1200 series refrigerator caught fire and destroyed the entire coach. What a sick feeling that was. I'm just not into getting another coach as a result. With that said I'm into quality and the Aviator seems like a fine piece of work thus far. I'm still studying it over and have already made a trip to the plant for a close up into the building of the Aviator. Impressive so far but I'm not finished yet.

Okay jadadoug, you'd better go tend to the wife..good luck! I'm getting my wife to get me some tea ...she needs to hurry up!! yea right, she'll never read this...I hope!

Heres a picture of my previous coach after fire:

Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #10

AVIATOR Wright Flyer

Im new here. I have my eyes locked on a new Aviator. For those that are curious and Im sure there's alot , the cost for the fully loaded Aviator Wright Flyer is around $65 to $70. Yes three zero's. It sounds rediculous but like someone else mentioned, aluminum and fibreglass are expensive. The one piece fibreglass roof is the way to go. No leaks to worry about. The electric awning retracts automatically when it senses higher winds. How cool is that ? For those that are interested, I hope to be pulling it by late spring with A Toyota Tundra.
The trailers dry weight is like 8000lbs the Tundra maxed weight is 10100lbs.
But she might need another fuel tank installed. lol
makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #11

Thanks for posting the price verification, yes we were all curious. I looked at it online and they sure are a nice looking rig and seem to be built well. Enjoy when you get one.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #12

That is a great looking trailer, one I too have had my eye on. This past July we purchased our first RV of any kind and went with a Coachmen FE 292 BHDS; a good travel trailer, haven’t had any major issues with it. That said, now that we have one I can see things I’d really like to have from a comfort and operational standpoint. We are planning to purchase something new in the next 18-24 months and are looking at these options ranging from another travel trailer, Class B+, Class C and Class Super C:

- Aviator Wright Flyer – honestly, I love the layout and the major upgrades
- Forester 3011 DS
- Forester 3051 S
- Nexus Ghost 34G or 36G (new for their 2014 line up)

All have their pros/cons and I am not sure what we are leaning towards right now.

I am looking forward to more posts about your new Aviator, that is one fine Travel Trailer for sure!!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #13

2013 Wright Flyer

I have an awesome 2013 Aviator Wright Flyer for sale. Asking $39,999. Call or text Scott at 417-317-2372
Scott Stettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #14

I have a 2013 Aviator Wright Flyer for sale, Asking $39,999 for quick sell. It's in new condition. Call or text Scott at 417-317-2372
Scott Stettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #15

that is soooooo sad, buying when they first came out sucks!!! I could have bought 2 for what I paid. Toyboy traded his in on a MH, Giant would let his go for 45,000 and it has a lot up upgrades, the factory repaint is amazing and I love the colors they used. Oh well good luck but you might want to list it in the for sale section
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #16

Greetings to my fellow Aviators. My wife and I just bought the last (or maybe the only) Wright-Flyer in Minnesota #AWF1908. We have been admiring them for more than a year and decided with a very limited supply and prices down to about the same a nice 5er it was good as time as any. The used aviator for sale in the posting above was tempting, but after reading on the forum about various problems, we wanted the factory warranty. Scott Steetes is a rv salesman in Missouri who took it in on trade, I think it was Roving bear's Aviator. I've enjoyed reading all the posts and hearing about the the good and the bad. Buying an unproven product is always risky but I like the Aviator concept. I guess time will tell. Think spring!
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #17
Anacortesians

We're Class a RVrs, but we know what you're going through with that surgery, DW has had both shoulders done. The first one (LH) was the after effects of being a dental assistant to a children's dentist for 12 years. That one was done by conventional techniques with about a 3" incision.

About 18 months later, she was dragged across a neighbor's front yard by our Labrador chasing his cat. She didn't dare let go because the dog would have gone into the neigbou'rs house and done all kinds of damage.

I guess the damage to the second shoulder was a lot worse. The surgeon that did the operation is supposed to be one of the best in the nation. It was done with micro tools. Unfortunatley, the result was nowhere near as good as the earlier one and she's still having problems.

Not sure what next. Since she's an avid knitter, this particular problem really bugs her, as it cuts into her knitting time!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
Greetings to my fellow Aviators. My wife and I just bought the last (or maybe the only) Wright-Flyer in Minnesota #AWF1908. We have been admiring them for more than a year and decided with a very limited supply and prices down to about the same a nice 5er it was good as time as any. The used aviator for sale in the posting above was tempting, but after reading on the forum about various problems, we wanted the factory warranty. Scott Steetes is a rv salesman in Missouri who took it in on trade, I think it was Roving bear's Aviator. I've enjoyed reading all the posts and hearing about the the good and the bad. Buying an unproven product is always risky but I like the Aviator concept. I guess time will tell. Think spring!
I am sure you got a good price as around here a fully equiped wright flyer is around 54,000 with everything including 2 A/C units, just be warned trade in really sucks
Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #19

I think we got a pretty fair price (47k no second a/c or fancy paint). I know there is always a better deal to be had and trade-in value is much less, but I have no plans to trade it in. I plan to keep it at a great RV park on the north shore of lake Superior. The days are beautiful, but the nights can be quite cool so I will likely use the furnace rather than the A/C. The thick insulation should save on propane costs. My last two travel trailers slowly rotted away so I'm hopeful with the fiberglass roof and other composites this trailer will last for decades. I really look forward to hearing from everybody how their Aviators are working out!
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 AM   #20

unless corrected you will notice the lights flash when you turn on the bathroom lights, second look under your round table and make sure they did not split the wood that attaches the table to the stand. Water flow at the kitchen was another problem, also the outside quick connect for the hose was the wrong one, door on mine is out of alignment so the dead bolt was not actually locking. as far as wall thickness, it is not a consistent 5" so its not quite as well insulated as advertised, lack of a heat pump makes the furnace a necessity, also on humid days you will want to equalize the inside and outside temps. prior to leaving it closed up as you will find moisture on all of the interior surfaces when you open it up. also install a battery cutoff as they last about 7 days in storage. And yes 47,000 is a good price for a new one.