Old 12-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #41

Look forward to seeing your pictures! Camping on a Florida beach sounds pretty nice about now even though it has been pretty mild here. Someday I will make it down to the sunshine and sea breezes

Finished up my water system redo by finally getting to the valve station. I made a two panel design to mount everything to. By attaching everything to the bottom section the need to pull out the panel for servicing is no longer necessary. Everything can be reached by removing the top access panel. This means the flexible braided tubing can be eliminated because the slack and flexibility are no longer needed. I also had removed the winterizing valves as I always use compressed air. Now it is clean and simple with minimal chance for leaks. The vast majority of water leaks on the Aviator come from this area due to the incorrect use of braided tubing with PEX fittings.
It wasn't all work today though. Took some time for a cup of coffee, a nice fire and and an old WW2 movie!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	docking station.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	95696   Click image for larger version

Name:	docking staion 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	95697   Click image for larger version

Name:	relaxing in av.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	95698  

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #42

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
The area behind that panel is where several of my leaks and crimps took place. What were they thinking?? Looks like someone dropped a hand grenade into a large pot of spaghetti.
What is the substrate you used for the new center? Looks like aluminum or stainless steel.
Pumped a gallon of bleach into the FW tank to sanitize before leaving Wed. I'll drain it tomorrow AM. I brought it home for 2 days to get it ready to go. Hope I don't get any guff from the neighborhood Nazis. Most of them have no idea what the CC&Rs say about RVs at your home. I'm legal for 30 days at a time but rarely stay over 3 days at a time.
I'm still amazed at how fast the refrigerator cools down on our unit. The two 120mm fans I installed in place of the single 80mm make all the difference in the world AND they are much quieter than the 80mm. Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #43

I actually used a left over scrap of marine grade plywood and painted it to look like aluminum. I agree on the looking like an exploded pot of spaghetti. I've removed about 3/4 of what was there so now back there looks super simple with very little leak potential. I also did the two fan mod. It is beyond me why a company that has been making refrigerators for decades would think that kind of annoying whining noise would be acceptable. With all the mods you've done I always thought you kept your Aviator at home. You must keep it at a RV storage lot I'm guessing. Living in the boonies has its advantages. Nobody cares what I do!

2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-07-2015, 08:13 PM   #44

Actually I live in a gated golf course community with rules up the wazoo. A lot of retired CEOs and corp. execs that have nothing to do but complain about everyone else. Not my idea of an ideal place to live but the investment potential is great. I would love to have 10 acres somewhere near here, but DW says she would not feel secure when I wasn't around. Granted there is little to no crime here on the island but I don't worry about that. Our last home didn't even have locks on the doors. Times have changed.
Being a firearms instructor, nobody causes me any trouble. I've trained 6 residence in the use of home defence firearms and tactics and the word just seemed to get around. Works for me.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #45

To heck with investment potential! Go get that 10 acres and put up your dream pole barn with an oversized air conditioned shop. Tell your DW to come camping, boating and fishing with you and she will not only feel secure but have fun too!
I haven't locked a door here in the 20 years I've lived here and wouldn't have it any other way. Besides locks only keep out the honest thieves!

2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #46

DW has been in real estate since the 70s, so investments are part of her DNA. She started her own HOA management business that has grown exponentially. She planned on 15 neighborhoods and now has 46. She has agreed to sell the company when it hits the 50 mark. Until then, buying a piece of land and putting up that pole barn will have to wait. BTW, why is it called a "pole barn"?
Old 12-14-2015, 09:40 PM   #47

Winter project continues

Since winter doesn't seem to coming to Minnesota this year I've been able to keep working on my Aviator. I've just about finished underneath with cleaning up all the electric, plumbing and duct work. The first pix is a foamboard insulation piece I made to cover the shower drain floor opening which is quite large. I covered the drain piping with non-stick wrap before spray foaming it in case I need to service it. I also spray foamed around where the heat registers go through the floor. Inside the trailer and behind the fireplace is another large floor cutout made to run wires. The hole is big enough for all types of undesirable rodents so I foamed that too. Finally, I added 4 square feet to the undersink cabinet by extended the shelving all the to the wall. I added led lighting as well. One thing I've noticed and is often mentioned on this forum is the amount of construction debris left hidden behind all the cabinets. Why they don't keep a shop vac in the trailer and clean as they work is a mystery to me. lots of things could of been done in a more professional construction trade fashion but I am overall pleased with construction of my Wright-Flyer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drain cover.jpg
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	96225   Click image for larger version

Name:	behind fireplace.jpg
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	96226   Click image for larger version

Name:	undercounter.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	96227  

2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #48

New wheel well to protect against blowouts. 1/8" steel mounted to frame with 3/8" bolts.
I've had my wheel well ripped out twice now and a lot of damage under it. The original wheel well is paper thin sheet metal that offers absolutely no protection to the wiring harness, propane and water lines that some genius engineer chose to run right in front of the tire so it would be destroyed by a tread separation.
The energy exerted by a flopping tread is tremendous. It will destroy anything it touches before it rips loose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1151.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	96350  
Old 12-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #49

Are you doing both sides or just the side where the propane line runs? I don't believe the China bombs are going away time soon so great idea. Those blowout can really cause a lot of damage. If car tires blew out at the rate ST trailer tires do there would be a congressional hearing!

2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #50

I'm just doing the right front well as there is nothing much under the left side that needs protecting. I'm seriously concerned about that propane gas line and electrical wires running side by side in the same harness. If they both go at the same time, you will become a 60 mph torch that would be impossible to save. Probably wouldn't have a problem changing lanes to get to the side of the road. I'd let me through!!
That new wheel well cost big bucks, but it's going to be done right or not at all. As a retired commercial pilot, duct tape is not an option.
I'll post finished pix soon. Newcastle RV in Brunswick, GA has been a God send to getting me back in operation. They had the well built two days after taking it to them, and will finish installing it tomorrow and within insurance estimate plus deductible. First class folks to do business with.
FYI. http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tire-...ed-plant-code/

Tags
modifications