Old 01-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #51

Winter Project continues

Next up in my underbelly makeover is the three tank heaters. One was just hanging by the wires and none of them worked. When I flipped any of the three switches all the pilot lights turned on but none of the heaters actually got warm. I determined the 12v positive leg was getting there but something with the ground was wired wrong. Keep in mind there is really no way these are checked at the factory because it has to be quite cold for them to operate. Anyway, I cut the white ground wires that ran to the heaters and ran a new ground directly to the frame. Now they all work as they should. You can even hear the converter fan increase with the increased amp draw. Each heater draws 4-5 amps as shown in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160103_134432_283.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	97268  

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #52

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
Twelve to 15 amps is a lot of juice. Hope its on at least a 20 amp circuit.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #53

Only one Aviator recall out of 122. Not too shabby.

Forest River recalls from Dec 12, 2015 to Dec 24, 2015 @ Pissed Consumer
Old 01-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #54

Looks like the recall was for electric steps the Aviator doesn't even have!
I probably would have been a pissed consumer myself if I weren't able to do all my own repairs. With all the little things wrong, I wondered at first if a I made a wise buying decision. I've since put in a lot of hours improving but now feel it was well worth it and am looking forward to hitting the road!

2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
Looks like the recall was for electric steps the Aviator doesn't even have!
I probably would have been a pissed consumer myself if I weren't able to do all my own repairs. With all the little things wrong, I wondered at first if a I made a wise buying decision. I've since put in a lot of hours improving but now feel it was well worth it and am looking forward to hitting the road!
I agree about being happy I made a great investment in the Aviator. The site about all the recalls was meant to let others with FR products to use to see if their units had any recalls.
I only saw one that would affect ANY AVIATORS. Mine didn't come with electric steps either, so we are good to go.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #56

Warm enough for more mods!

A balmy 30 degrees gave me a chance to do some more work on our Aviator. I added a really cool color digital thermometer and ran the probe through a small hole I drilled in the grab handle. Right below the thermometer I put a small led lamp that turns on with the courtesy lamps. This illuminates the control panel nicely and gives you a nice "welcome back" lamp to keep you from stumbling into a dark camper. Also, it can be turned on from the bedroom using the bedside switch. Might be useful for checking on strange noises in the night!
I got the idea for the lighted handle from this forum. Very easy and looks great. I wired it in with the over-the-door light and put a switch on the control panel to operate them both. I also added a solar thermometer in the utility compartment to monitor the underbelly temperature. It uses the led light I previously installed as its power source. All was fairly easy to install with all the wiring right there at the control panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160202_145200_566.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	98813   Click image for larger version

Name:	door light mod.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	98814   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement thermometer.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	98815  

2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 02-10-2016, 10:04 PM   #57
BamaCamper

YAH! Getting our Aviator back from Goshen. They have been so good to us. Took care of every problem and then some! So Happy. Picking it up early March. Forest river has us forever.
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #58

I'm glad they are taking good care of you Carol! Post some pictures of the new paint when you can. I never did hear back from Susan about Aviator history so if you happen to talk to her it would be interesting to learn more. What else did you have them do?

2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 02-24-2016, 11:37 PM   #59
BamaCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
I'm glad they are taking good care of you Carol! Post some pictures of the new paint when you can. I never did hear back from Susan about Aviator history so if you happen to talk to her it would be interesting to learn more. What else did you have them do?
KenHwy61,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. We are finally going to pick it up March 3rd.
We had the whole camper repainted (same color). Added a second air conditioner, had a rear camera installed. They repaired the under belly, replaced the awning that was falling apart, repaired the air vents that were never cut out completely the created a rain effect due to condensation in the camper, they replaced two tv's and the Blue ray player. Replaced the wall between the bath and living area (because the dealer did not tell us the original TV was ripped out of the wall and there was a hole in the wall and the extra long screws they used to screw a metal mounting plate to wall, went clean thru the bathroom wall, Dealer applied the paint sealer to the windows as well which etched to the glass and would not come clean. They hired someone to come and polish all the glass. They replaced the front hood because the dealer mounted our sway bar mounts incorrectly, which cracked the hood. Replaced the mattress because the other was horrible. Repaired the black tank wash that never worked. Repaired the door locks, doors would come open for no reason, was not latching properly. Lordy the list goes on and on. We can now finally hopefully enjoy our Aviator.
Forest River has us forever. Susan has been so good to us. I will try to get the history of the Aviator for you. We are taking her and her crew to lunch for being so kind to us. Can't wait!!!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #60
BamaCamper

By the way we are moving back to AL. Did not care Nevada and to store the Aviator out there was a house payment basically. Hope to be moved back first part of summer.

Tags
modifications