Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #1

Carefree awning

Anyone know the part number of an aviator wright flyer awning my motor went out and needed to be replace? Is it better to replace the whole awning or replace the motor? Any advise all new to this. Thank you. Camping World St. George Utah want to much for it.
rmtaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #2

Mine also went out but it was before I even took it home so they replaced it under warranty. It was my understanding the original motors were defective. Try calling Carefree. They have a helpful service department. Look the phone number up online as it is not listed on their website as far as I could find. Good luck!

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Looks like you can buy a replacement from Carefree around $250 or so. Could not find the awning you mentioned tho. Takes a model num to find the right one. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #4

Thank you all for the info
rmtaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #5

The Carefree awning on my Aviator just broke the rear pivot pin bracket and they don't show a replacement part for it. Will have to remove the bracket, re-weld it with full-length welds instead of little spot welds and reinstall it. It's mounted with aluminum pop rivets!!!
Also having to replace the entire motor assembly [$350]as there is no replacement for the in-out limit switch which also went out and would not adjust. It's all one piece..... according to Carefree. We will see how this works out with Carefree. Spent close to an hour on the phone with them today just trying to explain what broke.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #6

After years of manual awnings I have been spoiled by the convenience of these automatic units. They really have some great features like the auto retract but I wish they would be build them a little more robust. They seem to have a high rate of failure and stories like yours makes me not want to use mine very much. But knowing how well you do things, you will fix it better than new!

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 07-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
After years of manual awnings I have been spoiled by the convenience of these automatic units. They really have some great features like the auto retract but I wish they would be build them a little more robust. They seem to have a high rate of failure and stories like yours makes me not want to use mine very much. But knowing how well you do things, you will fix it better than new!
Kenhwy61 I can assure you the new welds will be stronger than the little spot welds that they came with. I just don't understand why they would cut such a corner. The welder that tacked these up would have only had to run a few seconds more to do a first class job. My problem is to correctly realign the brackets to do the welds right. Sometimes when you weld things together, they warp. These brackets are pretty thin already and not very strong. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did with all the pressure they have on them.
My advice to others with these units is NEVER roll them all the way out. Way too much tension on the little flimsy brackets. I'm sure Carefree is aware of the problem.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #8

Hard to say if the welder cut corners or was following the build instructions as written. Either way it would take very little more to do it right. That is a good tip about not extending it 100%. I usually have to give mine a little push to get it going out although it retracts fine.
Now working on a screen door. My wife just has a little more sewing to make a magnetic Magic Screen fit just right. I think it is going to work good and will post pictures when finished.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 07-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #9

Since the day we bought the Aviator, I have been trying to figure out how to install a curved screen door to fit the curved opening of the doorway. I figured a draped screen would end up there sooner or later. Another day, another project!
BTW, the welds were done by a programmed welding machine, not a man. It was totally planned the way it turned out. Perfect little bead, but way to small AND too short.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
cjearle

Our motor went out as well. We were camping and carefree was very helpful to help us so we could pack up. Luckily a camper next to us was an electrician. He had the ladder, correct size socket wrench, and zip ties. We had to manually retract the awning and zip tie to secure it. Everything with our awning was replaced but the casing so far. We now carry our own ladder and more variety tools with us. Still love our Aviator!
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #11

We haven't had any issues with our awning yet. But... We worried about not having any real support. So he built support arms. Also figured it would help in supporting screen walls later on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1437944490.630149.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	84229

2013 Aviator Electra
2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
and a chihuahua named Daisy
SharkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:03 PM   #12

SharkGirl
Hope you turn off the automatic retract switch while you have the support poles in place. If a wind comes up, the unit will retract and both poles will strike the side of the unit. Ask me how I know???
Old 07-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #13

That's funny you said that I was just getting ready to say the same thing when your post popped up!

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 07-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #14

Carefree awning

Yes! Shoulda said that as well! It is turned off! Trying to make it last longer not shorter! Haha.

We do not use the support poles if it's too windy out. But we also pull the awning in as well.

Overly protective of the awning!

2013 Aviator Electra
Old 07-27-2015, 11:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkGirl View Post
Yes! Shoulda said that as well! It is turned off! Trying to make it last longer not shorter! Haha.

We do not use the support poles if it's too windy out. But we also pull the awning in as well.

Overly protective of the awning!

2013 Aviator Electra
I never leave the awning power switch on. Lesson learned the hard way. DUH
Old 08-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I never leave the awning power switch on. Lesson learned the hard way. DUH
I misstated my actual answer to the awning switch. I never turn it OFF if the awning is extended. Since I no longer use support polls, I always leave the switch ON. I have no clue as to why I said I never leave it on. DUH!
Old 08-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I misstated my actual answer to the awning switch. I never turn it OFF if the awning is extended. Since I no longer use support polls, I always leave the switch ON. I have no clue as to why I said I never leave it on. DUH!

Do you ever think it would be nice to screen the awning area? You would need support poles then. Correct??

2013 Aviator Electra
Old 08-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkGirl View Post
Do you ever think it would be nice to screen the awning area? You would need support poles then. Correct??

2013 Aviator Electra
Absolutely.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:03 PM   #19

For sure use support poles with a screen enclosure. Those arms are under enough stress already. Don't put any more on them without support.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #20

Hey Blackhat6mike it seems that within a week of reading this thread (all the while thinking my awning has been performing perfectly) my awning dies. It rolled itself back in never to wake up again. Fuse is fine so it must be the dreaded dead motor. I can't find mention of model name or number in any info we have with Aviator. Do you remember what to tell Carefree to order the part/s?
snowtosurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning