Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #21

Congratulations on your new Wright-Flyer! We enjoy ours very much. Making improvements is fun for me and I just wanted to share a few things I did. I noticed the Dometic refrigerator was much noisier than our previous model. This was a common complaint among RV owners. I replaced the cooling fan with one much quieter. Also, I found the outside water faucet hose connection very difficult to connect to when the water system was pressurize so I removed the quick-connect fitting and replaced it with a standard female hose fitting. From the inside of the camper , you can't access the storage under the dinette with taking off the cushions so I added cabinet doors. I also replaced the plastic tiling behind the stove with tin ceiling tiles. See photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aviator back splash.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	58420   Click image for larger version

Name:	aviator door.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	58421  
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #22
cjearle

That looks amazing. Love the tin behind the stove. And the idea of cabinet door. Was the plastic hard to remove?
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #23
cjearle

Where do you store the cushions that go on the table top?
Old 07-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #24

It was my wife's idea to put those tiles on and I agree they look really nice. The old tiling just peels off in one big sheet. Pretty easy upgrade. The cabinet doors I found in a clearance bin at the local home improvement store for 5$ each. I just stained them to match. They are really handy to have. As far as the cushions go, they are stored behind the big curved dinette backrests. You may want to consider getting some kind of oversized mudflaps for your truck for your drive home. I went to South Dakota last month and unfortunately got quite a few rock chips in the front of my camper.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #25
cjearle

Another good idea! I will check that out.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #26
Rivnut

Enjoy the trip home.!!!!
Write posts if you need help.
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #27
cjearle

Lightbulb

We are researching the different routes across the US. Trying to figure the best way home and to find the best campgrounds in route. Any Ideas? Our adventure starts from Eugene, Or to Cherokee, AL. May try to go to College Station, TX to visit our daughter. Phew that is going to be a long trip!!!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjearle2 View Post
We are researching the different routes across the US. Trying to figure the best way home and to find the best campgrounds in route. Any Ideas? Our adventure starts from Eugene, Or to Cherokee, AL. May try to go to College Station, TX to visit our daughter. Phew that is going to be a long trip!!!!!

One thing you may want to do is invest in this:
http://www.passportamerica.com/campgrounds

Will save you some $$$ on campgrounds on the way back home

Sent from my iPad Air using FRF App for iOS
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #29

another thing to consider is the fact yours is one of the first ones built so it has been sitting for 2+years , you might want to consider camping near the dealer for a while because I assure you that if you need warranty work while on your way home you will not be on the top of any dealers list for repairs other than the one who sold it to you. Any FR dealer is authorized to repair it but they are not required to. again good luck with your new Aviator, we only had minor problems with ours and the problems were pretty much common to all of them. Check your paint carefully as the early ones were painted by a different company than later ones and some had paint issues.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #30
cjearle

Have the Aviator now! Absolutely love it. Some minor issues but a dealer close to me in Florence, Al said they will be glad to work with us. Was in Yellowstone with temps in the 30's. The elec heater/fireplace works very well. Pulls very well. Just love it!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #31
Site Team

Good to hear that you have it and are already camping in it.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #32
cjearle

Thanks it is a beautiful Rig!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #33

Happy to hear you are enjoying your Aviator and you found a local dealer willing to help if need be. I agree the fireplace is great for taking the chill out and it looks nice too. We enjoy our Aviator very much and many people stop and ask about it. We are currently overlooking the waters of lake Superior. Time for smores!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #34
cjearle

Oh fun! Yes every time we stop we get questions. We have driven from Eugene, OR via Yellowstone and now heading towards Kansas City then toward Nashville to go home in AL. Looking forward to a camping trip where we can stay several days. Maybe one day there will be an Aviator group camping to meet fellow Aviator campers!. Have fun
Old 08-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #35
Rivnut

When you get home, contact me about a dealer in Florence. Also read the discussion about changing water filters. Might want to stay with the blue one on the hose.
Rivnut
chas.massey@frontiernet.net
AWE1972
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #36
cjearle

Dropped off my Aviator at Bankston RV in Florence, AL. Jaime there was very nice and more than willing to help us out with the warranty issues we had and boy the list grew everyday coming home. The last night the Awning motor decided to go out. But we still love the camper and think after the bugs are worked out it will be great. But after hearing all horror stories about dealers not wanting to help us out because we did not purchase it from them, I have to admit I was worried. But Jaime at Bankston RV Florence Location has really eased my concerns.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #37

Our awning motor went out too. Fortunately it went out while it was at the dealer. I was told Carefree Awnings had a lot of problems with this motor. Hopefully the replacement is made to last a little longer!
Old 08-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #38
cjearle

Oh I hope so! We were at the camp ground when it went out. This was the first time we used it! Did you have any problems with your kitchen faucet coming on with the vibration of the camper? We did twice and flooded the camper. Bankston Rv is going to see what can be done about that.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #39

Yes we had the same trouble with the faucet but it is easy to deal with. All you need to do is first make sure that if you have water in your fresh water tank the water pump is turned off (Switch in the bathroom). Second, after you disconnect the water from the campground open the kitchen faucet and hold the toilet flush pedal down until there is no water pressure left in the system. Now you can just leave the kitchen faucet in the down position and nothing will happen. We also travel with the round dinette lowered just to keep it from straining the pedestal to much.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #40
cjearle

Good Idea! We will try that. Also the Dinette table is a good Idea. Thanks for that advice.