Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #1

Considering purchase of an Electra!

Hi all,

Wasn't expecting to be posting this, but I came across an Aviator Electra at a dealer while looking for a different trailer and I was smitten a bit.... it sure seems like an interesting rig. I've read a lot of posts on here to educate myself a little.. but just thought I would place a quick post here to ask if there are any specific problems to look for that are unique to this trailer... (aside that everything seems to be unique on this trailer.. ).

I have read a lot about the plumbing issues.. so I will make sure the rig is tested with city pressure. And of course basic electrical stuff... but the dealer say's he has no documentation on it all and only offered to check out the "basic" systems. To be honest, I get the feeling there will be zero dealer support on the trailer if I did purchase it... and the price he wants is close to $30k.

I guess that's another question I have.... is $30K reasonable for the rig from a dealer that offers no support? I'm pretty comfortable with fixing things... and I really value solid construction / insulation in a trailer ( I've been looking for an Outdoors RV trailer for awhile, but haven't found anything locally).

The serial number is 1935 and right now I'm thinking will I take the drive to look at it next week.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments from the experts here!

Still shopping...
cmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #2

Craig, you are right in your assumption that the dealer will be of little support but we should be able to tell you anything about the Aviator you want to know. Virtually all issues are minor and typical of any RV and are easily repaired with handyman skills. There hasn't been any major issues reported. As far as price, around 30K seems to be about where the Aviator price has settled. There are so few available and they really are built to last. I have a Wright-Flyer but there are a few Electra owners here on the forum so if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #3

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the response!

I guess my major concern is parts in the event of major problem. For example, that large front window seems vulnerable to stone damage on the road or even a roque branch in a campground. I'm certainly not afraid of fixing things in general... but the potential parts problem does concern me. As much as think it would be great to own something so unique, I'm also just not in a position to be able to own a museum piece if that makes any sense.

Afraid I don't have any really good questions at this point (haven't seen it in person), but might on Wednesday.

Craig

Still shopping...
Old 03-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #4

The Aviator line is very well built with durable materials. No worries about wood rot or weak roofing structure. As you have noticed, there are a number of one-off items that would be hard to replace if damaged. With that said, I'm more comfortable with that risk than of hidden water damage from roof leaks and the other issues that typically end the life of a conventionally-built trailer. I couldn't be happier.
saltsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #5

Thanks saltsman, I'm still considering it carefully. I think my lack of RV experience is another drawback (not sure the size is just right, etc), but it is tempting.... decisions decisions....

Still shopping...