Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
cjearle

Dealer for aviator

The dealer we bought it from did us wrong in a lot of ways. It is a long story and they will not call me back!

BUT I did find a dealer in AL. and let me tell you: I am so impressed with Bankston RV in Florence, AL. Went today to check status on our camper. They are working so hard on it and found things that we did not notice and fixing them as well. We did not purchase this trailer from them and they are giving us the red carpet treatment. I want everyone to know about them. Never have I experienced such nice treatment. They are under new management and it shows the new guys are working hard to turn it around. I could not be any happier. Can you Tell!!! Ask for Jaime. He and his wife running the place now. And the technician/mechanic there is very nice as well and through! Thanks Bankston for taking us and the Aviator on you have made me feel so much more confident in the TT!
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #2

Glad to hear they are taking care of you! Can't say much good about the dealer I got ours from, but then again, I wouldn't want them touching mine:-|
Naviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjearle2 View Post
The dealer we bought it from did us wrong in a lot of ways. It is a long story and they will not call me back!

BUT I did find a dealer in AL. and let me tell you: I am so impressed with Bankston RV in Florence, AL. Went today to check status on our camper. They are working so hard on it and found things that we did not notice and fixing them as well. We did not purchase this trailer from them and they are giving us the red carpet treatment. I want everyone to know about them. Never have I experienced such nice treatment. They are under new management and it shows the new guys are working hard to turn it around. I could not be any happier. Can you Tell!!! Ask for Jaime. He and his wife running the place now. And the technician/mechanic there is very nice as well and through! Thanks Bankston for taking us and the Aviator on you have made me feel so much more confident in the TT!
This is the dealer that flew you and your spouse up just to look at the Aviator, and nearly cut the price in half to sell it to you?

Have you done a review on this dealer in the dealer review section?

I guess I missed out on a lot of stuff, didn't know you'd had so many problems with your new prized baby.

In any event, I'm glad you found someone to take care of ya!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
cjearle

Well to start my salesman was fired before we picked it up. Then no one notified us about it. So the list of repairs we had listed were not forwarded to service. SO it took a lot of talking and two days to get things done. Then things were happening each day while were out. We did stay at a camp ground locally for two days. Glad we took that advice because the reading light fell off the wall the fuse box cover broke and the Ac and half the lights shorted out all from the reading light breaking. Then it was something each day after that.

But Bankston is taking real good care of us. They are under new management and Jaime and his wife are being real Jewels about it. Trying to get it ready for the Alabama Frog Rally in October.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #5
Rivnut

I'm glad Florence of Bankston is helping. I also got Dandy RV in Anniston to take me in between customers on Christmas week. He adjusted my slide to keep the water from coming in and flooding the floor. He said he would do warranty work between his customers but call, Greg Henderson and His Mechanic JOE. All my snags are done, and beware of the FR1 water filter by Waterpur, if you haven't read up on it, do so or mail me.
Enter the name on Google and get a 6 page story on Bankston.
See you at the August rally or maybe sooner if BAMA BOB gets this AL Rally going.
R
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:29 AM   #6

Was just on RV trader.com and noticed something Aviator owners may find interesting. There are two used Wright-Flyers currently for sale, one in Arizona and one in Alabama. The interesting part is that these used Aviators are both priced over 10 thousand HIGHER than used Aviators listed for last year and are even priced higher than the last of the brand new Aviator's sold for as well. Who knows what these two will actually sell for but it is pretty unusual for any used RV's to rise in price. With so few built, maybe our unique and innovative "lemons" will turn out to be lemonade after all!

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #7

Never considered my Aviator Wright Flyer as a "lemon", but just the opposite. I love my Flyer, it's the tires FR sent it out the door with. Should have been "E"s, not "D"s. Totally comfortable and a wonder to tow. I LOVE IT!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums Retired Army Pathfinder Vietnam vet.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #8

BleckhatmIke, I love mine Aviator too. I meant "lemon" in the "Edsel"sense of the word. (if that makes any better sense!) It was an innovative trailer few people wanted especially at the initial asking price. I believe they will become sought after as people realize and time proves them to be as impervious to rot as they were designed to be.

While I haven't had any trouble with my tires yet, I did notice the total carrying capacity of the 4 tires is less than the gross weight of the trailer. It seems Forest River should of went with a higher load range.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
BleckhatmIke, I love mine Aviator too. I meant "lemon" in the "Edsel"sense of the word. (if that makes any better sense!) It was an innovative trailer few people wanted especially at the initial asking price. I believe they will become sought after as people realize and time proves them to be as impervious to rot as they were designed to be.

While I haven't had any trouble with my tires yet, I did notice the total carrying capacity of the 4 tires is less than the gross weight of the trailer. It seems Forest River should of went with a higher load range.

I agree! They are turning out to be not only a great unit, but an even better investment. The tires were the only real problem and that's been taken care of. Now we just need time to use it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums Retired Army Pathfinder Vietnam vet.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #10

We have a couple trips already planned for this summer. 9 days on the north shore of lake Superior and then 11 days starting in South Dakota for few days of prairie camping at the Crystal Springs Rodeo and then on to Cody Wyoming where we will visit Yellowstone and the Teton mountains. One thing I want to do is buy a high-rise fiberglass truck cap to help push the air and bugs up and over the Aviator's front windshield. I wish the Aviator came with windshield wipers and washer fluid lol!

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #11
Rivnut

Dealer for Aviator

Glad you will get it out there in the spring. I have a fishing trip in June to Lacrosse, WI, then the Aug Goshen rally, then Oct Frog rally in Alabama, then Christmas in Miami again. It's busy being retired. I'm wishing for a fishing trip to Black Foot river in Montana one day. I noticed the lights you were installing so I got the 12v strips from Auto store and run them on a battery for now, sure lights up the cabinets.
regards
Old 01-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #12

You do have a busy camping schedule Rivnut! I'm not retired yet so I can't get that much time off. I live about 2 hours up the Mississippi from Lacrosse in Hastngs, Mn. The river valley in that area is very scenic with lots of nice river towns. I wish I could make it to Goshen this year but someday I will. Those LED lights work great. I have put them in almost all the cabinets and closets. It is pretty easy to find 12v power running throughout the trailer to tap into. Enjoy your travels!

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #13
Rivnut

Thanks, I'm going to keep it until I can't stand up, ...what did you use for light strips, I've been buying them at the auto store.?
regards
Old 01-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #14

I bought the lights off Amazon. They are Goldstar 12v LED RV lights. I am very happy with them. Easy to install, bright white light and have a nice rocker type switch. I bought two more to put in the bedroom closets this spring. I will just hook the up to the wiring that feeds the reading lamps above the bed.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #15
cjearle

HMM! I will have to look at the light thing as well. My Aviator is still in the shop! Making Sutton RV pay for all that needs to be done. My batteries are dead and they were 2011 batteries on a 2013 RV. Tires had to much wear on them for a new RV! They are considering putting new tires on. Paint is peeling in some places they are looking into that as well. Had new TV's put in because others were going out. New reading light, new Awning, new power jack, new front cap tie straps, got black water flush tank repaired, new door lock (front), Trim repaired inside, new fridge vent that was broken, Shower door repaired, blue ray DVD repaired, power awning motor replaced, found out that the under belly had been cut thru and duck taped! the list goes on and on. Hopefully will get it back soon.
We are planning on going to Goshen, the ALabma Rally and want to go back out west!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:06 PM   #16

You will love the LED lights. They make a huge difference in being able to see in the cabinets. Sorry to hear your Aviator is still in the shop. RV service often seems ridiculously slow for some reason. I had heard about some paint peeling particularly on some of the early units with the fancy paint. Hopefully all the issues are not making you wish you didn't buy your Aviator. I have had all sorts of things done poorly or that didn't work correctly. Most of the Aviator's components and installation techniques are common to the RV industry making all the problems pretty typical. Despite having problems, what makes me happy is knowing we have a pretty cool RV with a fiberglass roof that won't leak, composite floors and walls that will never rot, and giant front picture windows that makes you feel like you're outside even when you're not. I hope they get yours all fixed up for you soon. I would think in Alabama you can camp year round and you're never too far from a sunny beach.
I am going west to Wyoming myself in the beginning of July. Can't wait!

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #17

Aviator Furnace

I wasn't getting much air flow out of my furnace and warm air coming out the cold air pick up under the fridge. When I pulled off the vent cover, I discovered the plenium [sp] box that routes all the ducting was missing two of the blocking plates that cover up the ports that are not used. More hot air was coming out of the cold air return than was coming out the vents. Reinstalled the plates in the ports and used metal tape around them and the front cover edges. Works just fine now with plenty of heat and air flow. Now I have a unit full of styrofoam bits that were never cleaned out of the vents from new. Looked like it was snowing!!
Also replaced all the exterior "iron" screws in the lights that were dripping rust and replaced them with stainless steel screws. I can't believe FR cut THAT MANY corners.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:13 AM   #18
cjearle

Yes KenHwy61, I don't regret buying the Aviator at all. I absolutely love the unit. Jaime at Bankston Motor homes in Florence, AL has been incredible and at bat for us. It has been the warranty dept and Sutton RV that has drug their feet. But finally got ahold of someone at Sutton willing to talk with us. They are now woking with Jaime to get it taken care of. Jaime has done all he can until Sutton RV comes thru. We love it and like you love the big picture window, and the fact it will not rot. And I was also pleased to see the used aviators in the RVtrader priced more than we paid for ours!
Looking forward to being able to take it out again.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I wasn't getting much air flow out of my furnace and warm air coming out the cold air pick up under the fridge. When I pulled off the vent cover, I discovered the plenium [sp] box that routes all the ducting was missing two of the blocking plates that cover up the ports that are not used. More hot air was coming out of the cold air return than was coming out the vents. Reinstalled the plates in the ports and used metal tape around them and the front cover edges. Works just fine now with plenty of heat and air flow. Now I have a unit full of styrofoam bits that were never cleaned out of the vents from new. Looked like it was snowing!!
Also replaced all the exterior "iron" screws in the lights that were dripping rust and replaced them with stainless steel screws. I can't believe FR cut THAT MANY corners.
I am going to pull off the return air grill and check that venting today. It wouldn't surprise me if it was done wrong but I haven't really used the furnace as the fireplace keeps the camper warm all by itself. Also what serial number unit do you have? From what I have heard they run from 1905 to 1975.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjearle2 View Post
Yes KenHwy61, I don't regret buying the Aviator at all. I absolutely love the unit. Jaime at Bankston Motor homes in Florence, AL has been incredible and at bat for us. It has been the warranty dept and Sutton RV that has drug their feet. But finally got ahold of someone at Sutton willing to talk with us. They are now woking with Jaime to get it taken care of. Jaime has done all he can until Sutton RV comes thru. We love it and like you love the big picture window, and the fact it will not rot. And I was also pleased to see the used aviators in the RVtrader priced more than we paid for ours!
Looking forward to being able to take it out again.
I'm glad Bankston is taking care of you. In return, they are getting some free positive advertising from you! I was amazed to see the price of used going up. That is very unusual in the RV business. When we bought our Aviator I told my wife I hoped we weren't making a big and expensive mistake but now it appears we made a wise choice.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD

Tags
dealer