Old 10-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Thanks for the replies everyone. I realize now that I loaded up this thread with 2 totally different points but the info has been good. It seems as though the Aviator travel trailers have been an interesting experiment. Sorry for those of you who would like to get out of them.

The "Pilot, Spirit of St. Louis" is a really nice TT and my dealer has one on the lot. We are going there on Saturday to look at several units, 5W and TT.

As for 5W versus TT, I am seeing a lot of nice travel trailers with 5W floorplans now. The Prime Time Lacrosse 327RES, 324RST, and Pilot have caught my eye. The Lacrosse is really loaded up with nice options inside. In the 5W category, we like the Crusader 325RES, Salem 327RES, and Surveyor SVF293.

I am going to look at all of them in the next week and then try to work out the 5W vs. TT thing in my head.

Thanks again,

Jamie Harris
Southeastern, PA
2014 Lacrosse 327RES
Ford F-250 Diesel
jamie325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
daydreaming about camping
I just looked at the FR website to get an idea of what you are talking about. I believe the Aviator line was intended to compete with Airstream, while the Pilot line looks to be much like LaCrose, Coachmen, Surveyor etc is general appearance, however with nicer finish and amenities.

As to your question about TT vs. 5er, we have a TT mostly because our tow vehicle at the time was not a pick-up but a 3/4 ton SUV. Now I have roughly the same truck you do. I have thought about a 5er, and here are the things that stand out to me.

-more overall room, broken up with more clearly defined "areas".
-more basement storage
-theoretically easier to tow, manuever etc.

-lower profile makes it easier to store, less likely to hit gas stations etc.
-no inside steps, less broken up floorplan
-usually lighter overall, and less tongue weight means you can carry more stuff in truck.

So while we could step up to a 5er now, I don't really want to. The exception would be if we went to toy hauler, but that really puts me into a bigger truck, etc.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
I do not believe the Pilot line existed prior to this year, it was created to pickup the floorplans eliminated in the aviator line. the interiors in both lines seem to utilize all the same materials and electronics, which leads me to think they had a lot of materials on hand for the aviator line and had to do something with them, as far as I know the Aviator was the only line that used Sony products until the pilot line.

bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote