Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #61

As far as size, most of the federal parks in the Smokey's only allow up to a 35' unit, tip to tip. The WF is 34.
ToyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masondood View Post
Hiya Bob! I wasn't slagging the Aviator just observing that they shouldn't change their game, just take it to the next level if they want to appeal to full-timers. They came up with a world-beating design but missed the boat on the interiors and the size.
well since they have only sold 16 as of the date I bought mine in over a year , I would think the management of FR is not too pleased with the whole project so expansion would not be on my agenda if i were them
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:40 AM   #63

I think that the design and R&D dept hit their mark, its more of a case that sales and marketing didn't study where this unit would fit in the scheme of things in the market and who their target group would be. To begin with I would have targeted the Airstreamers and also FR should have come up with a "lifestyle" plan, as that's what your buying with an Airstream. It's interesting that any FR dealers that also sell Airstreams weren't allow to sell the Aviator as Airstream wouldn't allow it. That should tell you that Airstream was concerned. More advertising and shows would have helped to get the word out.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBoy View Post
I think that the design and R&D dept hit their mark, its more of a case that sales and marketing didn't study where this unit would fit in the scheme of things in the market and who their target group would be. To begin with I would have targeted the Airstreamers and also FR should have come up with a "lifestyle" plan, as that's what your buying with an Airstream. It's interesting that any FR dealers that also sell Airstreams weren't allow to sell the Aviator as Airstream wouldn't allow it. That should tell you that Airstream was concerned. More advertising and shows would have helped to get the word out.
As a member of the Airstream forums, I know most if not all would drag around a 50 year old Airstream in need of total restoration before they would buy anything else. Loyalty to the Byam way is very strictly adhered to, there are actually campgrounds that will only allow airstream products in. Believe me if they still made a 34' with a slide out and king bed that is the only trailer I would own, out dated as it may be. Forest River does not have that kind of longevity that you will see many 25-30 year old FR products at the local RV resort, I do however see a number of that vintage AS at Fort Wilderness on a regular basis. I bought the Aviator due to a rare addiction my wife and I suffer from, we cannot pass up free hotdogs and hamburgs ad Giant rec. world and feel obligated to buy something.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #65

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Its been a good week so far. I visited my Aviator at the factory to check on its progress. It is at the painters facility and being prepared to paint. Painter says he needs it about 2 weeks and after that it goes back to the build plant to get some items repaired then to QC and then I will be able to pick it up! YEPPEE!!!! Pro Custom Paint does some really nice work. They are now doing the Georgetown and Berkshire models for FR. Paint finish, that I saw, is smooth as a baby's bottom. Can't wait.......
well have you got yours back yet? mine spends its time between the storage facility and Giant for repairs, hard to understand how things can go wrong while its in storage, but it does.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #66

We will pick up the Aviator next Monday. Can't wait. It's finished with the paint and the new color looks great from the pictures they sent me !! Can't wait to see it in person. Brian is working on my repair list and seems to be going well. He called me today with a couple of questions to make sure he did what I was asking. FR better thank their lucky stars they have him, he's been exceptional to work with. They have even been tearing apart things to inspect to make sure it was done right and have found several missed items by production. He said he might be able to get me a plant tour of the Aviator facility, that should be interesting. He said they got my subwoofer working on the surround sound and have installed the router for the Sony pad to control various functions on the unit. So far so good, it's taken a long time but I've been so busy it has save me on storage costs!

I will report in when we pick it up and send you some pictures as well! Have you have any major items or has it been all little things to fix?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #67

just problems with the front door, problems seem to be caused more by Giant than FR, every time they fix something they screw up something else, this time they messed up my ceiling and tried to hide it, now it seems I will be getting a couple new ceiling panels.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #68

That sucks.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #69

that seems normal for them, when I had my 1st 5th wheel FR told me they had more complaints about them than any other dealer. At one point they refused to work on my 1st 5th wheel, told me to go somewhere else as I was too hard to please. Still being rather a slow learner I bought 3 more off them in the past 3 years and I still get treated like sh*t.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #70

Hello folks,

I've been reading through these post and glad to finally hear other WF owners comments and views. We purchased ours last November and so far its been fine. Yes, a few problems here and there but nothing I cant handle myself. After owning a Blue Bird Wanderlodge LXi for the past eight years this is a piece of cake as far as maintenance and repairs believe me!

I, like others, would have liked to seen a better interior for what they were asking for the unit ... but, it can be modified to fit your needs. I've installed a leather love seat recliner in the slide in place of that ... "ouch" I mean couch .As for the mattress ... a nice 6" memory foam topper my wife bought turned it into a very comfortable bed. Of course the weight was more so another gas shock was added to help lift the mattress to gain access to storage space under bed.

I would like to hear what others are experiencing as far as warranty issues. Its obvious from some post paint is an issue, but not much of anything else is discussed. Perhaps whoever reads this will share their issues and the resolve. I guess for me its ... looking at a pattern of on going issues from unit to unit, and it would certainly help others to keep an eye on these areas of concern.

Thanks for all the input. I was starting to believe I was the only one on the planet that owned a WF, of course I haven't been on the forum in quite some time. I'll stay in touch now knowing there are others like yourselves that have bought one of these very unique TT's I will enjoy sharing the experience and helping anyone any way I can. I would have loved to seen one built from the beginning. Owning a Blue Bird I knew everything about it from the chassis, to wiring you name it. I'd love to have schematics .... Oh well, I could go on.....
Old 07-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #71

Hi 1945,

Wow you have the latest serial number I have seen, being the highest number they have built to date is 1973. But all of these aren't WFs.

What brand and model couch did you buy and how did you get it in the TT? That's the first thing I want to do as we don't need the cold out bed.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #72

Quote:
Hi 1945,

Wow you have the latest serial number I have seen, being the highest number they have built to date is 1973. But all of these aren't WFs.

What brand and model couch did you buy and how did you get it in the TT? That's the first thing I want to do as we don't need the cold out bed.

Hello Toyboy, simple, American Signature: this unit: American Signature Furniture - Nolan Leather Dual Reclining Loveseat

Back comes off, delivery guys went right through the door tilting it sideways. The factory "thing" had to be disassembled! There was a weight difference of about 15 lbs if memory serves me right... there are modifications that need to be made to the composite floor in the slide area to support the recliner. I'll see if I can post some pictures of what I did.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #73

Sounds good, would like to see pics. Did you have them come to your house or did you take the TT to the store? What color did you pick and what was the price of the love seat?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #74

I had the slide empty they delivered to my place. Its the same one shown in the link I sent. Same price.. anyone wanting to do this needs a "wall recliner".

Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #75

Aluminum beams to distribute weight evenly. Used contact paper to front beam to match wood. Beams screwed to the floor on ends to prevent movement. End panels, "black" thin shelving board also covered with leather like contact paper screwed to beams. Couch put in place and centered by me and the wife and bolted to front beam to prevent movement. Then black trim added to front beam edge.

Note: beams need to be sturdy as not to flex, weight needs to be where original couch weight was ... on the ends of the beams. Recliner frame needs to line up with beams. Measuring, using the proper screws is important. My advise is don't set a recliner on the composite floor in the middle that floor needs to flex when moving the slide in and out and further more is not level, put a strait edge across it and you'll see. We have had this recliner set-up for about 8 months and it has worked well and very relaxing by comparison. It does not recline 100 percent due to the space but is much much nicer than what was there.

I'm not suggesting that anyone install as I have, I'm just sharing what I did. Careful consideration must be taken involving weight of persons, furniture, and hardware used to make modification. Totally there is about a 30 lb difference between new recliner and hardware in comparison to the original couch that was installed. I'm still looking for little drink holders for each side to fill in the spaces. No hurry I'll look around a bit. I'm leaving out some technical stuff ... but you get the idea!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #76

oops my bad on the link ... that's a chocolate couch ... mines black ... everything else the same weighs a little more than the original couch, I don't remember the numbers, but its close or I wouldn't have done it.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #77

AWF1945,
to date the following items have been a problem
front door misaligned, damaged frame
1x1 wood supports for table split
wrong fitting on outside hose
wrong color LED in kitchen
LED lights flash when fan turned on in bathroom
slide topper has something in it that is leaving rust stains on outside of RV
rubber closures on battery compartment do not stay closed
magnetic cabinet door striker plates not anywhere near the magnets
no water (very little) in kitchen sink
fabric patterns do not match on dinette back cushions.
at the price point that FR was setting for these that amount of defects is really unacceptable. My airstream had not 1 problem in the time I owned it. the cheapness of the fabrics and fixtures is amazing at 89,000 price point. the awning is much too small and should have been the size of the one on the back of the brochure, look at the spacing of the supports. The aviator was doomed from the time they produced the 1st one. the new aviator will pale in comparison to ours as they need to lower the price in order to keep this line, just look what happened to the spirit of st. louis. As far as trade in value, forget it, i just tried! Giant offered in the range of 35,000 to 38,0000 as they still have about 10 or so on their lot. I really expected more from FR for a trailer they wanted almost 90,000 for, if i were you I would have kept the wanderlodge, my wife loves them.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #78

Hey Bob,

I feel your frustration. I agree for the price things should have been flawless. However, that's not the case even with a million dollar bus. Trust me I would still have my Blue Bird had it not caught on fire due to the refrigerator. It was completely destroyed and I was so devastated I won't get another bus as a result. I'm trying to keep it simple from here on.

Some of the issues you listed are easy fixes: lights flashing adding resistors fixed that problem. Rubber hood latches were probably due to customers trying to open the hood with them latched and there stretched out. I replaced my for the same reason all is fine. The wife and I both discovered the patterns didn't match on material as you did and I did say something about it. I have had to align a few cabinet doors latches and magnets. Had to have the front windshield sealed for a leak. My hope is that like most other coaches I've owned, I can get the little bugs worked out and all will be well. I've owned a bunch over the past 30 years, this is the first TT.

My hope is that the structure will hold up and not fall apart given the conditions of the interstate system these days (some better than others)if it falls apart then .... well I won't get into that. You might look at it this way, we may have a collectable and you don't lose anything if you don't sell it!

As far as owning something that's going up and down the road there are going to be repairs needed from time to time things give out with use, but I'm with you ... out of the gate they need to be right. Personally I would fire whomever makes their furniture, BTW I did meet the owner and told him his furniture sucked ... should have seen the faces in the room

As for FR they have been very helpful in getting any and all issues addressed to this point and the head of warranty Brian is a fabulous and valuable guy to FR. I'm pulling this unit a lot I'll be the first to let everyone know as I go how its holding up. I do most all the repairs myself, I don't want the dealer touching it. Why would I have someone less qualified than me to work on it ... unless its major and needs to go back to the factory. Good luck with yours Bob.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #79

well you seem to have all the problems solved that mine has or had. Brian seem to have a good reputation with my dealer for warranty work also, hope he does not end up like Mike Burns, he was the warranty guy for class c a few years ago, bent over backwards to correct all the problems my Ridgeview had ( the Super C FR should have never made). After the factory rebuilt it and had it delivered back to me , they fired Mike. This is my 4th FR product in 3 years so I am well aware of the QC issues they all seem to have.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #80

Hey Bob, not to rattle your cage but a question pops into mind. If you don't like Giants service and you are disgusted with FRs quality, then why do you keep buying FR product?