Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #101

Looks very nice now all you need to do is paint your truck to match.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #102

I was down at the FR dealer in high river today. The price on the larger unit is down by 20K....if only I was ready now, but I am anxious to see what the 2014 models will be like!
Lovely Wife and Son, two terriers, and Ringo the cat!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masondood View Post
I was down at the FR dealer in high river today. The price on the larger unit is down by 20K....if only I was ready now, but I am anxious to see what the 2014 models will be like!
don't look too hard, the electra and spirit of st. louis are already moved to the pilot line with the wright flyer to either be eliminated or moved.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #104

That's too bad. I think they were onto something and a year of improvements could have resulted in a larger market share. I went looking as I said, and the Aviator has a lot of very good points. I'd be curious to know the product development protocol at Forest River. They have a built in fan base of folks on this forum who are very knowledgeable and it seems such a waste that they didn't (assumption) take advantage of this great resource to develop a trailer that could kick butts in the marketplace.

Lurking here on the forums as I do before pulling the trigger and buying, I have learned a heckuvalot from the folks here, and I believe FR could too.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #105

WARNiNG!!! If you like the features of the 2013, then BUY NOW!

When I picked up my unit this week in Elkhart, I was privy to seeing the 2014 prototype. I was the first person outside of FR to see the unit. While it is the size of the WF and uses the same fiberglass exterior, it looses most of the structural and interior features of the current model. While the 2014 was still in primer gray, it remains to be seen if it gets total paint or just decals. The new floor plan does not take advantage of the front windshield for the living area like the WF.

Unfortunitly FRs corporate has decided to meet a price point and not a higher end product and give up on chasing Airstream. Stock dividends take precedent. The new model will be in the $30s-40s range. The trailer structure itself has gone to a cheaper welded frame but has the same axles as current model. 5-5 1/2 thick walls are now 1 1/2 thick, much less insulation and sound attenuation. Still has glass roof. Windows are the same but fewer. Wood frame and aluminum instead of all aluminum frame.

However with all that said, I am really happy with the out come of my WF and the paint work and color is superb for an RV. Brian fixed the interior items and everything is working except the shower door handles fell off on the way home. We drove over some REALLY rough roads and everything held together well. All electrical is working as designed.

Brian and Mike (Mike owns Pro Custom Paint) are two really stand up guys and deliver on what they promise.

Bob, I look forward to meeting you at the next rally! I asked Brian if he would send me the email addresses of all Aviator owners and lets put together a rally in the future for Aviator owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3417551520.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	36872  
ToyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #106

Wow Toy, thanks for the info!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBoy View Post
WARNiNG!!! If you like the features of the 2013, then BUY NOW!

When I picked up my unit this week in Elkhart, I was privy to seeing the 2014 prototype. I was the first person outside of FR to see the unit. While it is the size of the WF and uses the same fiberglass exterior, it looses most of the structural and interior features of the current model. While the 2014 was still in primer gray, it remains to be seen if it gets total paint or just decals. The new floor plan does not take advantage of the front windshield for the living area like the WF.

Unfortunitly FRs corporate has decided to meet a price point and not a higher end product and give up on chasing Airstream. Stock dividends take precedent. The new model will be in the $30s-40s range. The trailer structure itself has gone to a cheaper welded frame but has the same axles as current model. 5-5 1/2 thick walls are now 1 1/2 thick, much less insulation and sound attenuation. Still has glass roof. Windows are the same but fewer. Wood frame and aluminum instead of all aluminum frame.

However with all that said, I am really happy with the out come of my WF and the paint work and color is superb for an RV. Brian fixed the interior items and everything is working except the shower door handles fell off on the way home. We drove over some REALLY rough roads and everything held together well. All electrical is working as designed.

Brian and Mike (Mike owns Pro Custom Paint) are two really stand up guys and deliver on what they promise.

Bob, I look forward to meeting you at the next rally! I asked Brian if he would send me the email addresses of all Aviator owners and lets put together a rally in the future for Aviator owners.
looks good, should have mine back next week, as far as email, you can have mine rschmidt34787@yahoo.com. As to rallies, unless its at Fort Wilderness I probably won't make it, in the past 4 years we had 5 RV's and the furthest we had gone is Fort Wilderness. As a matter of Fact we had the 36 CKTS delivered there last year as we were living there at the time and traded in our Motorhome on the 5ht wheel and had no means of towing it. after 4 months we bought another house and let the Fort so I had to buy an new F350 DRW to tow it home, than traded it in , now I have the F350 pulling my little Aviator !
Old 08-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #108

I am so glad I bought my 2013. I will be taking possession of it on Sat. I wanted to buy the high end unit due to issues I have had with the wood used in most TT. I had about decided to go with a living lite until we found the Electra which was a size that worked for us . . .
bridge707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #109

got mine back this morning from shop, opened slide and both slide seals fell off, just can't believe they used no adhesive on them, the quality just amazes me, Not!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #110

Obviously built on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #111

I am going to have to check, at least giant is going to send someone over to fix it as I am heading out to Disney. I am really going to give thought to getting RV number 6 soon, might have to try a Thor product as I have had enough bad luck with FR.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #112

I looked at a Thor Challenger 37' MH the other day and was impressed especially for the money. I don't know why people want to buy a diesel powered unit when a gas will do it. They would have to drive over 150,000 miles to break even.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #113

I need to be on your money tree list! Lol
Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #114

its almost fall for the money tree, the leaves are getting thin but I cannot depend on this thing remaining dependable past the warranty. I have owned it 2.5 months and got to use it once the remainder in the shop, now I know the slide seals are not a major issue but one would think they should remain in place for a little while before falling off.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #115

Yes you are correct. I noticed this weekend one of my seals was loose but it was just out of the track so with a little spreading of the seal lips it fit back in place. I used a little silicone on the lips to make sure they stay in the track. I had my shower door handles fall off during our trip but a little silicone glued them back on as well. I guess I better keep stocked up on silicone marine caulk! Lol
Old 08-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #116

Gonna try and go to Beverly Beach this weekend and leave them some money!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBoy View Post
Yes you are correct. I noticed this weekend one of my seals was loose but it was just out of the track so with a little spreading of the seal lips it fit back in place. I used a little silicone on the lips to make sure they stay in the track. I had my shower door handles fall off during our trip but a little silicone glued them back on as well. I guess I better keep stocked up on silicone marine caulk! Lol
I suppose my feelings are that an RV with the price tag that FR had on these should have had the best of everything, I mean really, mine had a sticker of 90,000 and so did yours, for a travel trailer that they thought would compete with Airstream? I had my airstream for just about 1 year, never had to fix anything or return to dealer.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #118

You are correct! I think they picked out good components it was the execution that stumped them?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #119

just talked to giant and received an email from Brian, they are thinking maybe a little adhesive might be the answer, who would have thought?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #120

Yeh I have found several things that had they put a small bead of silicone down and then applied the parts together and used their screws any potential problems would have gone away.