Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
Boat Builder

New Electra Owner

Hello folks...just purchased a 2013 Electra Classic Serial No.69 from the Dealer in Winter Haven. And yes, we got it at the much discounted price...thru no ability of our own. She wanted the classic look, I wanted fiberglass composites (my business) and we made a quick move on it before the house sold as it looked like they were going away quickly. Anyway, very pleased so far and will begin digging into her this weekend to see what I can find.
Sea-Born is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
Rivnut

Welcome aboard. The trailer is good, has lots of new features. I get stopped at every town wanting to look at it. I have some issues yet, which is why I missed the rally that started today. Read all the threads and if you have any questions, we all will help you. Hopefully we will be starting our own group since this unit will be a orphan group.
regards
Rivnut
Monterey,TN
AWF1972
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
cjearle

New Aviator Owner

Congrats on our Electra. WE just purchased our Wright Flyer. Heading to Oregon Friday to pick it up. Via Nevada to visit my son. Can not wait to get it. Good luck.
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Boat Builder

Having a ball playing with it so far. Spent all weekend goofing around. Looks like the first project will be adjusting the front cowl for a little cleaner fit.
Sea-Born
Georgia
AE1969
Sea-Born is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
Rivnut

New Aviator Owner

I didn't have an issue there until I put the hitch on, very close fit to open, put tennis balls in hitch to keep paint. Look at the kitchen cabinets for short screws mounting, have known to come down, put light dishes for a while. My gas mileage improved by 1.5 due to sleekness. front cap looks like locks in handle, but not, can't be locked due to propane and fire regs.
enjoy
Rivnut
AWF1972
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #6

Just bought mine too in Melbourne. Love it. Have only owned it a month and we are on our second camping trip with 1100 miles on it and climbing.
Southerly001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
cjearle

Driving now to get ours in Eugene, OR. Driving Alabama to Nevada to visit my oldest, then North to Eugene. We will camp our way back for 2200 miles. Excited.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #8

We are doing FL to Maine and back. In Mass now, very few problems.
Southerly001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #9

Congrats! We picked up our Electra this past Friday from Orlando Fla. It was the last one they had. We took it for a weekender in Ormond Beach. There are a few things that need to be addressed, but for what this thing is, how it looks, how it's constructed and lastly, what I paid for it, it will be worth it:-) there is nothing else that looks like this bad boy, or built like it. Not even the overpriced American icon, Airstream.
Naviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naviator View Post
Congrats! We picked up our Electra this past Friday from Orlando Fla. It was the last one they had. We took it for a weekender in Ormond Beach. There are a few things that need to be addressed, but for what this thing is, how it looks, how it's constructed and lastly, what I paid for it, it will be worth it:-) there is nothing else that looks like this bad boy, or built like it. Not even the overpriced American icon, Airstream.
not to put down the Aviator as I had a wright flyer for about 8 months, but there are a few differences between the aviator and the Airstream ( I also had a 2009 Safari ) 1. they still make them and parts will be available, 2. my Airstream never needed warranty work 3. you can resell an Airstream and not give it away. 4. Airstream is built by a dedicated workforce that takes pride in their work. I assume you got the last one Giant Rec. world had, as it took them 2 years to sell them off the price was really getting low.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #11

The only real difference between the Aviator and Airstream is the outer shell. Believe me when I say I was all about the Airstream until I looked at a few new ones. There was already broken items and cheaply built components. And at the time, the Airstream forums were abuzz with unhappy owners who shelled out big money! I am a member of that forum and was told by a factory rep that in shouldn't have looked at them until they were dealer prepped. Well if this is how the prideful works turn them out, then no thanks. That's too much money for an aluminum shell. As far as parts go, most RV's are built in Indiana using the same outsourced parts that they all use. At least the Aviator has some good upgraded components and NO particle board!! Unfortunately for FR, the Aviator will not attain the cult status and history that Airstream has over it's long history. Not taking anything away from AS, but for what I paid for my Aviator, I am one ecstatic camper:-)
Old 08-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #12

yes well those of us who paid 75,000+ and were than left orphaned with RV,s that Giant would not even trade in for more than 30,000 4 months later are not impressed. out of the 1st 4 on this site all have been traded largely due to not living up too the hype, I only paid 50,000 for my Airstream and traded it a year later for 43,000. I hope you remain ecstatic but I assure you the poor build quality will show before long and I hope when it does it is before aviator specific parts are no longer available. As far as looking at them before they are prepped, you should have seen my wright flyer when it arrived from the factory, parts hanging off, bugs baked on the A/C covers, and filthy inside and out, if you think the delivery people who drag them 1100+ miles without W/D hitch's or any concern as to what they run over care you would be wrong. anyway good luck, I think you may have got the last of the 75 units that will ever be sold, you should have bought mine , had every option and was only used twice, camping world sold it for less than 35,000 but than unless you had an f250 or better than it would have been too heavy for you.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #13

I wanted a Wright Flyer lol. Just couldn't find one close by. Personally, I think the RV industry as a whole needs to tighten up. Quality control like that wouldn't cut it in the auto industry. They better hope the Japanese don't get into the RV business lol. The dealer networks also need to tighten up. As I am a retired mechanic, I'll only bring mine in for warranty work if a major component fails. I'm a stickler for detail and work done right. I'll fix or improve mine to be like it was meant to be:-)
Old 08-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #14

I don't know....... The Japanese entered the American car market, and I have to say the American cars today are much better than they were 45 years ago. I was a kid in school, working in a garage back then, and an American car with 80K miles on the clock was just about done. It's not unusual to get 300K out of an American car, these days. It might do the RV industry some good to have some quality imported brands. I'd bet some of the junk would disappear.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #15
cjearle

Drove to Oregon to get ours . In Kansas now. Have a few problems with it but absolutely love our Wright Flyer. Well worth it . It is as you said a Bad Boy. It is attractive and a eye catcher. Very functional and comfortable. Love the reversible fans /exhaust. Easy to pull as well. Just love it!