Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #21

I'm in Corpus Christi and it's 97 deg. I'm looking for a 65/70 deg climate, just for a couple of weeks.

I did find the cavities that you referred to. I agree that it's a prob.

As for the remote lock/unlock, mine doesn't have the keypad on the doors so I don't think it has them at all but will look into it.
pantherhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #22

I wonder if the keyless entry was optional. Mine also came with an outside tv which I removed and put in my mother's house. I just couldn't see it lasting out there or us even ever using it. If you want to escape the heat camp on Minnesota's north shore of Lake Superior. There are lots of Southern rvers who stay at our favorite campground and enjoy the natural air conditioner the cold lake water provides.
I drove through your home town when we first got our last travel trailer back in 1998 on our way to spend Christmas on the ocean. I remember it was strange seeing Christmas decorations but no snow!
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #23

hopefully you all got the 2nd A/C , here in Florida i had to keep them both running in the Summer
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #24

I bought mine new in Florida. I have been very pleased with it except for the shower door handle falls off all the time. So far that is really the only thing. The little reading light by the bed came apart and I am waiting on replacement. It pulls very easily. It looks awesome. I can see where they messed up with the first price point. There is no way I would have paid $80,000. The interior is to cheap looking and is not worthy of that price point. I feel if they would continue this line again and try and keep it at price point they are selling now that it is reasonable and good value for the money. I feel they should have put leather and maybe a wood looking floor and it would have gone a long way in helping them sell them better. The front window covering is cheapy looking also and not very functional. More thought should have been put in that. I like everything else about it.
lorettayoung1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #25

I bought mine new in Florida. I have been very pleased with it except for the shower door handle falls off all the time. So far that is really the only thing. The little reading light by the bed came apart and I am waiting on replacement. It pulls very easily. It looks awesome. I can see where they messed up with the first price point. There is no way I would have paid $80,000. The interior is to cheap looking and is not worthy of that price point. I feel if they would continue this line again and try and keep it at price point they are selling now that it is reasonable and good value for the money. I feel they should have put leather and maybe a wood looking floor and it would have gone a long way in helping them sell them better. The front window covering is cheapy looking also and not very functional. More thought should have been put in that. I like everything else about it.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #26

welcome

Welcome to the group! With only about 70 Aviators built, their aren't many of us, but I hope people post enough to keep the thread at least somewhat active.
The aviator had quality control issues, but I really like the design and I think it will easily outlast the typical rubber roof RV. I enjoy making improvements to mine and spend a lot of time in it. I believe somebody on this thread even had their upholstery redone in leather!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #27

Smile New owner

We need to get our 70 owners together and get together. What kind of improvements have people made to their units? I would like to have some ideas. I just love mine so far despite the horror stories that I have read. Any ideas on how to make the front window covering look better? I sure get a lot of questions about my trailer when I am parked. It is an awesome looking trailer on the outside. Happy to own an Aviator!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #28

It would be fun to have an Aviator get together. It would have to be planned at least a year in advance though. Maybe somewhere in the middle of the country.

My improvements have been mostly correcting things that should of been done properly in the first place. I have a list on an earlier post. We will be camping a lot in the next few months and I hope to post more maybe with some pictures.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #29
Rivnut

new owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherhill View Post
It's good to find other Aviator owners. I am now, after the product intro failed, an owner for a Wright Flyer. We look forward to many enjoyable trips, hopefully without major issues. Any insight that can be sent my way is appreciated. My main interest is insuring its long life span. Mine came with a wiresless router. Does anyone know where they hide it? I have looked everywhere that I can think of with no success. It's become a treasure hunt. Almost at a point where I don't want help because I'm enjoying the search but I have a couple of things that I need to do with it. Best wishes to all.
AWF1972 rivnut
We just finshed 5k run out west, a couple issues being fixed now see you at the rally Aug 2.
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #30

South Dakota!

Just wanted to share a few photos of our trip to a prairie rodeo. The Aviator worked great and the batteries easily lasted 3 days with no recharging. Everybody enjoyed the open feel the big windows provide and how quiet the camper is inside. Next stop is the cool shores of Lake Superior!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aviator rear.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	56927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aviator side view.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	56928   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	56929   Click image for larger version

Name:	ccssrr.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	56930  
Old 07-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #31

Thinking of diving into a WF

Hi Aviator Owners, we have owned Airstreams but my partner is 6'4" and is tired of bumping his head on air conditioners and not fitting in the showers of Airstreams. So, we are seriously considering an Aviator WF. Having since bought yours are you still happy despite some of the QC issues that are mentioned in the threads here?

BTW, our brand new 2008 Airstream was FULL of QC/warranty issues. Leaks, doors to cabinets falling off or breaking, things not screwed in properly etc...
snowtosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #32

We have spent the last several weeks on and off camping in our wright flyer. I fixed and improved many things when I first bought it but since then it has been pretty trouble free. We really enjoy the aviator overall. The giant front windows are wonderful and really brings the outside in. The round dinette booth seats 5 quite easily. It converts into a rather large bed and is great for watching movies. We are camping on Lake superior right now and it has been quite cool so we have used the electric fireplace each evening. It looks and works better than I would have thought. There is good head room inside for tall people and the shower is solid fiberglass and works well but just like most rvs, it is probably a bit small for someone 6'4. The countertops are slightly lower than typical and the sink bowl is deep so washing dishes requires a little bending to accomplish if your taller. Shorter people would probably find it perfect. On the out side out Aviator has weathered well after being outside for almost two years. ( It sat over a year on the dealer lot) It cleans right up and shines like new. The full body paint (We have the grey/silver colored model) looks great, but being so big, keeping it from being scratched and rock chipped has been a problem. Overall, once the bugs are worked out I think the Aviator is great camper and we don't regret buying it at all.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
Just wanted to share a few photos of our trip to a prairie rodeo. The Aviator worked great and the batteries easily lasted 3 days with no recharging. Everybody enjoyed the open feel the big windows provide and how quiet the camper is inside. Next stop is the cool shores of Lake Superior!
Great pictures! I would love to camp in an beautiful area like that someday. Thanks for sharing.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #34

Thank-you so much for the review! Luckily, I am 5'1" so I will have no problem at countertop/sink... Roman will have to deal
Old 07-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #35
Rivnut

Getting to gether

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorettayoung1954 View Post
We need to get our 70 owners together and get together. What kind of improvements have people made to their units? I would like to have some ideas. I just love mine so far despite the horror stories that I have read. Any ideas on how to make the front window covering look better? I sure get a lot of questions about my trailer when I am parked. It is an awesome looking trailer on the outside. Happy to own an Aviator!
Lets find some middle spot and get the Owners together and discuss
our issues.
Rivnut
Old 07-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #36
Rivnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
I also have the wright flyer. It one of the first ones built with the serial # 1908. I think you are right about them figuring things out as they went and it would not surprise me if things are different on yours. I also thought the front cowl lift mechanism was not engineered properly. I have also thought about reinforcing shelving but maybe they are stronger than they look.
I hope not to have any water leaks, I haven't actually hooked up the water at my house but they did have it running when I did my delivery inspection so there shouldn't be any surprises. The good thing is, in theory at least, water leaks should do no harm!

A keyless remote was included with mine just like on a car. That seems to work pretty good. I haven't figure out the keypad entry yet, but I am not all that worried about it.

Colorado sounds great. Our maiden voyage will be in June to a South Dakota ranch rodeo. We also have a few weeks planned on Lake Superior. At some point I would like to escape the winter for a few weeks on Mustang island in south Texas. It would be fun to meet or camp with other owners. With only 70 built, the club is pretty small!
If you ever make it to Minnesota let me know.

I
.Lets get the owners group together, I'm for it, Would suggest Lanthrop state park, ?Walsenburg, CO
Rivnut s/n 1972 the last one...!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #37

I have been researching "marine" blinds that they use for boats and yachts that have curved windows. Maybe something like this
Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #38
Incheon, S. Korea

I thought this thread was going to be about a new trailer that my son and I could stand upright in...
Same ol' FR story. Sigh.
I guess I'm going to have to get a Spartan and redo it. (6'8" ceiling height)
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #39
cjearle

New Owner

We are going to make our final decision on buying the last New Aviator we could find. I believe the # is #1912. It is a wright flyer and in Oregon. We are very concerned after what we have read. They are willing to offer a 7 year warranty for us at no cost after expressing the concerns we have read. We fell in love with the camper and really struggling with the final decision. We did get them down on the price. But still concerned after reading this post. Any insight from anyone?
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #40

While no one really knows how well the Aviator will stand the test of time, with a seven year warranty I don't see how you can really go wrong. The rest of us RV owner could only dream of such a great warranty! There have been issues, but the great majority of components used in the Aviator are commonly used in many makes and models of rvs and are no more problematic just because they are in the Aviator. Some of my earlier posts talk about most of the issues I had. I was expecting problems and I fixed them all myself, but I can understand the frustration of those who paid anywhere near the MSRP and had to make frequent trips back to the dealer for repairs. As far as the main Aviator selling points, the large front windows have been great, the fiberglass roof has been leak-free and should last indefinitely. The wood-free walls, floors and ceiling have had no issues either.
We get lots of comments and compliments while camping and have been overall happy with our Wright-Flyer.