Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 03:37 PM   #1

Rooftops

Would anyone be okay with walking on their aviator roofs.

2013 Aviator Electra
2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
and a chihuahua named Daisy
SharkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #2

Yes I have walked on mine several times. It is very solid.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

Aviator Roof

The Aviator roof is solid as a rock. No problem walking on it. I spent many hours walking and crawling on it when installing the solar panels. Nowhere did it flex at all. Great place to watch a Nascar race
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:05 AM   #4

This is great to know, yall!

I was very impressed with your solar panels, mike. You may have said already but do they power all of the camper?

2013 Aviator Electra
2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
and a chihuahua named Daisy
SharkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #5

Solar System

Sharkgirl.
I have 600 watts of panels into a 50 amp MPPT controller, 500 amp hrs of batteries and a 5,000 watt modified sine wave 60 amp inverter and all run through a 50 amp auto transfer switch. The ATS figures out whether you are using shore power or inverter and switches accordingly.
There are those who will say you "need" a PURE sine wave inverter, but I have had no problems with mine. The price difference is huge. MSW 5,000 unit was $400 and the PSW 5,000 unit was $1,100. It works for me.
I can run anything in the Flyer on the inverter, just not all at once. The AC in the main room is 15,000 BTU and draws 12 amps. Can run it for about 4-5 hrs during the day when the solar panels are helping out. I don't think it would last that long at night with no help from solar system. I would need more batteries for that.
The microwave is used several times every day when traveling and dry camping. The panels keep the batteries topped off when in storage and boondocking. You can use all the 12vdc that you want without worrying about recharging. You don't need the converter anymore, Mother Sun will take care of that.
You will hear folks talk about using a generator even with solar. The only reason that I can think of for a gen, is when 115vac [shore power] is not available and you want to run your AC for any extended period of time. The ACs do draw a lot of power from your batteries. If you have enough batteries, it's no problem. My estimate would be 700 amp hrs or above. That is a lot of batteries!!
If you just want to keep your batts topped off, two X 100watt panels and a 30 amp MPPT controller will do nicely. You don't need an inverter. Inverters change 12 volts direct current [vdc] from you batteries, into 115 volts alternating current [Vac] to run your ACs, TVs, microwave, heater/fireplace, etc.
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND adding or replacing the batteries you have with high amp hr, deep cycle batteries of at least 125 amp hrs each. Auto Zone has them for about $125 each. They MUST STATE the number of amp hrs on the top of the batteries or they are NOT deep cycle. Don't buy automobile batts. There is no substitute for more amp hrs. Sooner or later, you will need them.
If you decide to go solar, use Renogy products from Amazon.com and by all means, use the MPPT controller and NOT the PWM controller. There is a 30% efficiency difference between the two and well worth the extra dollars.
Buy an MPPT controller LARGER that what you will need as you will most likely add panels to your system later on and don't want to buy another unit and be stuck with the old controller.
I'm happy to help you any way I can with you Aviator, but remember, I have the Wright Flyer version and not familiar with the layout of yours. Let me know if you need help. Kenhwy61 and I will figure it out.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof