Old 05-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #1

WF dinette table gas lift springs

So my dinette table in my WF needs assistance from me when I need to raise it up. Seems the gas springs are weak and leaking oil out. Here's the problem. The part numbers on the gas spring cylinders don't appear to be good numbers anymore. They're made by Airax of France. And the numbers don't cross reference to any like replacements. In researching of just getting a new pedestal, I came across one that looks very similar by a company called Dicor. BUT, cant seem to order the pedestal directly from them. Any other WF owners have this problem with the table going up on its own? If so, any fixes you'd care to share?
Thanks.

Naviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:13 PM   #2

I did take a look at my table mechanism but could find nothing more than you already know. My cylinders have a slight oily feel where the rod comes out but nothing to indicate any serious leakage. I can tell you that my table has always needed some assistance from me to raise since it was new and has led me to believe that is how it was meant to operate. May be another Wright-Flyer owner will chime in if their table operates any differently.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Table design

Just purchased a 2013 WF with low low hours. However, when lowering the table, it came off the very cheaply designed connection with the support brace underneath - glued to wood staves and secured with wood screws that barely entered the bottom of the table. No help from Forest River, so I can't really tell if this is a design issue or aftermarket repair gone cheap.
I saw your blog on the table and thought I would see if anyone else had a similar experience.
Jim E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #4

Jim, welcome to the forum. Forest River is no longer supporting the Aviators but there are a few Wright-Flyer owners here that can answer most questions. I have had most of mine apart doing improvements and know it well. My suggestion is if you are at all handy just fix the table yourself and make it better. You will find like virtually all RVs that many things were put together somewhat substandard. What really sets the Aviators apart is the composite construction materials used. They are very resistant to water damage and are a really solid trailer once you get the bugs worked out.

2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 05-30-2018, 09:44 PM   #5

Ken thanks for the response. We are total novices in the RV world and it made no sense to buy a product not supported by the manufacturer but we fell in love with the style and class of the Aviator in comparison to other trailers. 3 issues- Where do I get an Owner Manual; is there a stabilizer tow bar that fits the front of the Aviator given the front cover, and fixing the table. Any thoughts on 1&2?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:14 PM   #6

Jim, Most problems are pretty easy fixes so you should be ok without a warranty. I have not heard of any major issues. As far as an owner's manual, it came on a Sony tablet that was supposed to be included with your trailer. I attached a PDF with them for you. There is a little bit of adjustment you can do to the front cover that should give you enough clearance for your weight dist. hitch. I have a Reese that fits fine. Where are you located? Most Aviators were sold in the South. Not many out there and I have yet to see another anywhere I have traveled.

2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 05-30-2018, 10:25 PM   #7

Thanks Ken. Very helpful. We live outside Austin and intend to travel extensively in 2019
Old 06-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #8

Ken pretty much said it all. I currently own both the WF and Electra.
If you havenít already figured it out or seen it anywhere, make sure the table is DOWN, before traveling. Iíve had my table apart when looking for gas strut part numbers. Nothing shows up when searching the numbers. Not much to putting it all back together.
Also, make sure your tires are good!! The Chinese ďChina BombsĒ that came on these are known to blow up after a few years use. I replaced mine with Goodyear Endurance tires, made in USA. If you see any sign of dry rot or sidewall cracking, replace them ASAP!
Welcome the the cult and enjoy! Weíre here to help.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #9

Thanks. Can someone take a few photos of the underside of their table showing how it is supported structurally, and send to me? Its hard to believe it left FR glued to a few stakes with shallow screws. I need to rebuild it soon.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #10

Tow bar

Also - due to the fiberglass nose that covers the propane tanks and batteries, most stabilzer tow bars won't fit on the tongue. What have you guys purchased that fits and works?
Old 06-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #11

I attached a couple photos. The hood just clears the spring bar bracket when opening so I don't have to ever remove them. It is a Reese brand #54970 WD hitch. It is a little hard to see, but as far as the table goes I replaced the original flimsy support with 2x6s. I also added outriggers on hinges that fold down and support the table when it is used as a bed. Watching my teenager sit on the edge of the table/bed and it tilting from the strain convinced me it was necessary. The black angle piece I added under the lever is just to help hold it up. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	av hitch.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	174271   Click image for larger version

Name:	av table.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	174272  

2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 06-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #12

Iíll have to see what the brand is, but it uses low profile clamps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBB4DD70-B2A5-45D1-87C1-5497C74828BD.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	174282  
Old 06-01-2018, 06:45 PM   #13

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...4-00-1061.html

This is what I have.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:07 AM   #14

Here to help if you need it

Jim E, we've owned our Wright Flyer for about 3 years and with about 200 nights of use (or more) we have extensive knowledge of the in's and out's. We're in College Station so not that far from Austin if you need anything. It's a great trailer!
saltsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #15

We replaced our dinette mechanism with a marine table hydraulic lift pedestal. It works wonderfully now and needs no assistance.

2Cajuns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, lift