Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #1

$100 freight charge for trim???

We are replacing the dinette in our FR3 30DS with a desk, allowing me to work from the road (thus allowing us to be gone for longer periods of time). When you remove the dinette, there is no longer trim covering the entire leading edge of the slide at floor level.

I shopped around a bit trying to find something similar, but wasn't able to find anything nearly as chunky as what is installed. I contacted Forest River, who told us we had to go through a dealership. Contacted the closest dealership and the trim cost is $57.75 for a 9 foot section. A lot, but okay, it'd match, so I'd consider it.

Then they told me the couldn't tell me how much it would cost to ship until after it has been packed and weighed. The dealership said the price for truck freight is typically upwards of $100.

Ugh.

Unless we can find something similar, it looks like we will be replacing all of the trim along the slide at floor level (under the couch as well).

Any suggestions on how to find matching trim, or am I just better off pulling it all off and going with something else?
Old 04-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
Always Learning

Can they cut it? How long of a piece do you need?
Old 04-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You'd have to wait for it, but many dealers are able to wave the freight charge if you're willing to wait for their next RV shipment. The factory will throw the extra piece in a trailer headed to your dealer and the dealer gets it that way.

Problem is, depending on what your dealer's got on the lot, might be up to a year before they order more trailers.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:04 PM   #4

9' is the issue, can't go UPS/Fedex, or certainly USPS, but must go freight line... ain't cheap. Cut it in half and you can cut the freight in half.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by learjetta96 View Post
We are replacing the dinette in our FR3 30DS with a desk, allowing me to work from the road (thus allowing us to be gone for longer periods of time). When you remove the dinette, there is no longer trim covering the entire leading edge of the slide at floor level.

I shopped around a bit trying to find something similar, but wasn't able to find anything nearly as chunky as what is installed. I contacted Forest River, who told us we had to go through a dealership. Contacted the closest dealership and the trim cost is $57.75 for a 9 foot section. A lot, but okay, it'd match, so I'd consider it.

Then they told me the couldn't tell me how much it would cost to ship until after it has been packed and weighed. The dealership said the price for truck freight is typically upwards of $100.

Ugh.

Unless we can find something similar, it looks like we will be replacing all of the trim along the slide at floor level (under the couch as well).

Any suggestions on how to find matching trim, or am I just better off pulling it all off and going with something else?
Check with local cabinet makers, some of them can run almost any type of trim, even custom stuff. They might need a short length of trim to make sure they have the right cutter.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #6

Yeah, we had said 72", but I think we absolutely need 68 or 69". I don't know what the limit is for shipping FexEx or UPS.

Maybe if we head west this summer we can just pick it up at the factory on the way out... I just hate to wait that long.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDON View Post
Check with local cabinet makers, some of them can run almost any type of trim, even custom stuff. They might need a short length of trim to make sure they have the right cutter.
I'll look into that! I bought a door off of a local guy not too long ago... I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #8

My family was in the fancy custom kitchen business since forever.

As a finish carpenter as a kid the first thing we learned was measure twice cut once. Trim is ridiculously expensive. Shipping is also awful for longer than 6 feet, in the old days.

The designer did not order extra. $57 sounds cheap.

Replace everything with local trim or pay the man.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #9

Please make it yourself or have it made, so you can use actual wood this time! It'll look better and last longer!
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #10
Always Learning

If you only need 72", ask them to cut it and get a quote on the shorter shipping length.

Otherwise, Kaadk has a great point- manufacturers can often throw in some parts into a new rig and "ship" it that way. Takes longer, but not extra cost.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #11

think outside the box and have a local retired carpenter do it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #12

try Internationally shipping a warranty covered 5$ light (which was missing in the Toyhauler we purchased last July)

shipping from the factory to NB Canada on a box less than a lb in weight and the size of a land line phone = 45$ plus customs and border fee's for a $0 item.

I feel your pain.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #13

shipping cost

Shipping costs are brutal. We had hurricane damage to the underbelly and needed 1 panel and the starter strip. Cost of the pieces was $48 but to get it from the factory to the Dealer in Florida was $200.
I would suggest you replace all the trim in that area rather than waste money on the shipping.
CDNDAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
try Internationally shipping a warranty covered 5$ light (which was missing in the Toyhauler we purchased last July)

shipping from the factory to NB Canada on a box less than a lb in weight and the size of a land line phone = 45$ plus customs and border fee's for a $0 item.

I feel your pain.
That's insane!
Old 04-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNDAYDREAMER View Post
Shipping costs are brutal. We had hurricane damage to the underbelly and needed 1 panel and the starter strip. Cost of the pieces was $48 but to get it from the factory to the Dealer in Florida was $200.
I would suggest you replace all the trim in that area rather than waste money on the shipping.
That's definitely the way we are leaning.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by learjetta96 View Post
That's insane!
Yeah, it's the pain we feel up north here. I once had a $40 propane hose come to almost $200 in shipping.

a) $30 shipping to go from the seller to a shipper
b) $60 shipping to go from shipper internationally
c) $95 brokerage fees
d) est $15 in duties and taxes

Thankfully, I live in a border community. Instead I was able to ship it within the lower 48 for free to a parcel holding place, and then picked it up when I was in the neighbourhood on a camping trip anyways. And since I was in the US for over 48 hours, it fell within our allotted exemption on the return, so no duty either.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We ship via UPS almost daily 72" pieces in 4" tubes.
If you can get by with splicing, I'd have them cut it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:32 AM   #18

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #19
Do It Yourselfer

I was at our Local dealer the other day, when a 25/30 foot long section of Exterior side panel was delivered. About 8/10 inches wide.
It was shipped in a plywood box (to Length and width). Half inch Plywood sides with 2x4 frame.
Took a tow motor to unload it.
At the time I thought ... wonder what the freight was getting it here. Probably more then the cost of the panel.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #20

Go to Rvwholesalers and check there shipping cost
John bodey is offline   Reply With Quote