Old 09-12-2018, 06:20 AM   #1

12 volt outlet on dash fuse replacement

I added 2 individual 8 AMP circuit breakers to replace the blade type 7.5 amp fuses hidden up under the dash panel. I drilled 2 holes in the panel next to the 12 volt outlets.

Sorry my picture is sideways. Every time I post from my cell phone, my pictures are sideways or upside down. I guess I should post from my computer from now on .

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	186229  

Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:30 AM   #2

Why did you do this? We have noticed our fast chargers for our smartphones do seem to pop the fuses from time to time.

jimlitwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #3

On our maiden trip all that could go wrong did. No generator, no engine ac, etc, etc. We were trying to stay cool in the 120 degree California desert heat.

So we plugged in a 120 volt inverter into the 12v dc outlet to run a 120 volt box fan and 1 fuse blew. Later we plugged In the inverter into the other 12 volt outlet and a short time later the other fuse blew.

With the fuses a pain to get to, I decided to get two circuit breakers to replace the fuses. If we ever draw too much current in the future, I can reset the breaker instead of searching for the blade fuse holders.

Bob
Old 09-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
Lacey's Spring, AL

you can easily post from your phone, but FIRST... 'edit' the photo, even just resizing it a tiny bit, or cropping it, etc... for some reason, THIS edit allows it to suddenly work correctly when posting! Don't ask me why, but it's the same for imported photos from your phone to your computer to the site...weird.

also, the reason the fuses continue to break, which is what they are designed to do, is because you are asking it to provide more current/amperage than it is designed for. An inverter is going to certainly require more amps than a simple plug-in phone charger, etc.
Another solution is to purchase the Power Inverter that has alligator battery clips, connecting directly to the battery(s), instead of a 12v outlet. No fuses needed, and none to break.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Bob View Post
On our maiden trip all that could go wrong did. No generator, no engine ac, etc, etc. We were trying to stay cool in the 120 degree California desert heat.

So we plugged in a 120 volt inverter into the 12v dc outlet to run a 120 volt box fan and 1 fuse blew. Later we plugged In the inverter into the other 12 volt outlet and a short time later the other fuse blew.

With the fuses a pain to get to, I decided to get two circuit breakers to replace the fuses. If we ever draw too much current in the future, I can reset the breaker instead of searching for the blade fuse holders.

Bob
Wow, we have a 2018 30DS FR3 and have not anything that serious go wrong. But the phone charging popping the fuse is annoying! One wouldn't think that small a current would do that.
jimlitwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #6

Was the fuze your replaced also an 8 AMP fuze? Putting in a larger fuze than designed could cause an overload situation...
Old 09-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #7

The original blade type fuses were 7.5 amp fuses & they were a pain to get to, to replace them.

I swapped them out with marine grade resettable 8 amp breakers. I am guessing the 1/2 amp difference will not be a problem.

Now if they ever trip, I only need to press the button on the breaker to reset it.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Bob View Post
The original blade type fuses were 7.5 amp fuses & they were a pain to get to, to replace them.

I swapped them out with marine grade resettable 8 amp breakers. I am guessing the 1/2 amp difference will not be a problem.

Now if they ever trip, I only need to press the button on the breaker to reset it.
The two 7.5 amp fuses are on 12 awg wire. I replaced them with 15 amp fuses. A 7.5 amp fuse blew when i plugged in my GPS.

Solar Power & Battle Born batteries thread
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, fuse, 12 volt