Old 10-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
My father in law has an older MH with an Onan generator. Last year he had the same issues with the generator running for short periods then shutting down due to fuel shortage especially when running both air conditioners. He grew up in the era of pure gasoline and does not understand the alcohol component so he just parks it for 7 or 8 months and expects it to run just fine. To get back to the solution, one day after several fuel filters and much frustration I blew compressed air back threw the fuel line to the gas tank. I don't know what was in there but it solved the problem. He just got back from a 3000mi trip with no issues.

Good luck solving your issues
Thanks. We used an additive about every other 80 gal tank fill up but with no improvement. I'll check out the fuel line issue next.

Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
Iggy, I had looked into this earlier and this is how it was explained to me. The FR3 has a 4000w generator with air intake on the side. The vent on the door is in line with the intake. We have a 5500w on the Georgetowns with air intake coming up through the bottom of the unit, so the vent door doesn't work in our set up.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
I know its for a FR3 but wanted to hear more about it for reference only.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi2007 View Post
Thanks. We used an additive about every other 80 gal tank fill up but with no improvement. I'll check out the fuel line issue next.
Lexi2007
When driving and using the generator the oil lever is critical.
You really need to insure that it is at the proper full level while on a level surface.

Now I have heard other with Onan's shutting down while driving and the culprit was the road not being level. If the road leans the oil level may change and the oil sensor may sense low oil and shut down. This is a safety circuits and may be all that is your problem. It doesn't take much to shut it down on a curve or bumpy road.

When parked and level no issues. So maybe this is your issue and all I can suggest is make sure the oil level is at full mark.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #14

Generator problems

I also had some generator problems. Here's what I learned: these generators need a valve adjustment after the first 50 hours or so. The valves tighten up and you lose compression. Also, even if it looks like it is full of oil, it may not be. I had to add a bit myself. With both of these issues resolved we just completed our 5000 mile trip running the generator all the time and no issues with it at all.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Lexi2007
When driving and using the generator the oil lever is critical.
You really need to insure that it is at the proper full level while on a level surface.

Now I have heard other with Onan's shutting down while driving and the culprit was the road not being level. If the road leans the oil level may change and the oil sensor may sense low oil and shut down. This is a safety circuits and may be all that is your problem. It doesn't take much to shut it down on a curve or bumpy road.

When parked and level no issues. So maybe this is your issue and all I can suggest is make sure the oil level is at full mark.
Seriously, we checked the oil level every days, sometimes twice a day. The oil is right up to the point that if we added anymore, it would spill out. Still checking out other issues. Thank you though.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #16

After I installed the fuel pump/vent mod, everything has been trouble free for us. If in doubt, take that door panel off. Just two screws on one of the hinges and the door will slide right off the hinges. Stow the door and head on down the road to see if its the heat that is causing it to shut down. Might not look pretty, but will prove the point.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #17

Valve adjustment?

Never knew they needed adjustment, but all that proves is my lack of knowledge.

Indulge us all with any how's whys whatnots you have on doing this valve adjustment!

Obliged.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #18

Sure. My mechanic is certified in the. Onan generators
He explained that there is a breakin period and that around 50 hours he explained that the valves need adjusting. They tighten up considerably, and that causes the genset to lose compression
Mine got so it would die when you put a load on it such as the a/c. He popped the head, used a feeler gauge and loosened them up. The procedure took about 20 minutes, and the only part needed was a head gasket set, about 10 bucks as I recall. It has absolutely run perfectly since. Btw, my oil level looked fine, but it still needed a pint or so.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #19

Btw. This is a one time adjustment. Never needs it again
Old 10-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #20

Hey Lexi you received a lot of responses on the geny but did you ever receive any feedback from anyone else on the other issue you had about the clicking sound in the black box over the house batteries? I also have had the same problem. Sometimes it does it and sometimes not, so everyone else thinks I'm crazy (but that's another story). In the middle of the night I can hear it clicking every 8 seconds for hours on end. Then the next day it wouldn't do it, then a few days later or the next trip it would do it again Let us know what you come up with...thanks.