Old 10-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #21

Don't know Havasudave, seems like you might be putting your nuts on the chopping block to say never!

How about "it will go so long between adjustments it may as well be never". Awkward sentence, but you get the drift here.

Just bustin your chops bro!

Old 10-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #22

generator

Chops busted!

Old 10-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawffeeguy View Post
Hey Lexi you received a lot of responses on the geny but did you ever receive any feedback from anyone else on the other issue you had about the clicking sound in the black box over the house batteries? I also have had the same problem. Sometimes it does it and sometimes not, so everyone else thinks I'm crazy (but that's another story). In the middle of the night I can hear it clicking every 8 seconds for hours on end. Then the next day it wouldn't do it, then a few days later or the next trip it would do it again Let us know what you come up with...thanks.
Cawffeeguy, no one commented. We think it only happened to us when hooked up to shore power. Like you, it would do it for a day, then skip a day. I know we'er not crazy as our son who also RVs heard it as well. Sadly and predictably, our local repair place "wasn't able to reproduce the sound", nor were they any help on the gennie. Our solution was to put a small fan at the door to the bedroom on high to provide some white noise. Hope that part helps.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #24

And the mystery continues
Old 10-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi2007 View Post
Seriously, we checked the oil level every days, sometimes twice a day. The oil is right up to the point that if we added anymore, it would spill out. Still checking out other issues. Thank you though.

From the manual.
Too much oil can also stop the engine.
See symptoms
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	122722  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #26
RJJ

Quote:
Cawffeeguy, no one commented. We think it only happened to us when hooked up to shore power. Like you, it would do it for a day, then skip a day. I know we'er not crazy as our son who also RVs heard it as well. Sadly and predictably, our local repair place "wasn't able to reproduce the sound", nor were they any help on the gennie. Our solution was to put a small fan at the door to the bedroom on high to provide some white noise. Hope that part helps.

I plugged into a pedestal at a campground once and my transfer switch started clicking immediately. I unplugged from the 50 amp and then moved it to 30 amp with an adapter and it worked with no clicking. Not sure if that is where your clicking noise is coming from, but you may want to plug into a different receptacle next time you hear it. Hope this helps.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
Old 10-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasudave View Post
Sure. My mechanic is certified in the. Onan generators
He explained that there is a breakin period and that around 50 hours he explained that the valves need adjusting. They tighten up considerably, and that causes the genset to lose compression
Mine got so it would die when you put a load on it such as the a/c. He popped the head, used a feeler gauge and loosened them up. The procedure took about 20 minutes, and the only part needed was a head gasket set, about 10 bucks as I recall. It has absolutely run perfectly since. Btw, my oil level looked fine, but it still needed a pint or so.

So on this valve adjustment... has anyone else had to do this? This is the first I've herd of this. I feel like more information is needed. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums yo
Old 10-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Not saying this what is going on or the sound you heard. The relay is in the battery control center. Here is an excerpt from the Battery Control Center operational description:

"When the vehicle is parked and on shore power, when the converter brings the coach battery up to +13.2vdc, the interconnect relay
will close after the 15sec delay, charging the chassis battery as well. As before, the relay will open when the battery voltage goes below 12.7vdc."
Old 10-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #29

"intermittent clicking sound" Probably a lost cricket who managed to escape just in time to avoid the repair shop.

Seriously, yes, probably, the relay.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #30
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
So on this valve adjustment... has anyone else had to do this? This is the first I've herd of this. I feel like more information is needed. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums yo

I did some checking on this ever since havasu posted because we have over 140 hours on our generator. Please keep in mind I'm not trying to open a can of worms or get into a "pc" with anyone. That being said, nowhere in the service/maintenance manual does it say the valves should be adjusted after 50 hours, or ever. I also spoke with a tech at Cummings/Onan and he confirmed this. Unless there is an actual valve problem. But, not as a service. He also felt it was an unnecessary action by the mechanic.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote