Old 10-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #31

Wayne and sherry, what else can I tell you?

Old 10-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
I did some checking on this ever since havasu posted because we have over 140 hours on our generator. Please keep in mind I'm not trying to open a can of worms or get into a "pc" with anyone. That being said, nowhere in the service/maintenance manual does it say the valves should be adjusted after 50 hours, or ever. I also spoke with a tech at Cummings/Onan and he confirmed this. Unless there is an actual valve problem. But, not as a service. He also felt it was an unnecessary action by the mechanic.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I totally agree

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #33

Tightening of valves happens on all newly built 4 stroke motors like used in the Onan 4000.

Or any 4 stroke motor, after break in.

Buy a new high performance motorcycle and you can count on having to do a post break in valve adjustment, always thought it odd that most high performance cars don't call for any adjustment, there must be a reason.

So for the RV crowd with seemingly endless amounts of time to think about maintenance, adjusting the valves would be a harmless excersize - done correctly.

After chasing down the parts to perform my 175 HR service, not sure if the effort to chase the parts, the possibility of my ineptitude causing more trouble than I fixed and the time it would take would be well spent.

If Onan says no adjustment needed, I'm inclined to save my maintenance efforts towards all the other items on my long long lists.

Putting nearly 200 hours on our 4000, have yet to experience any failures when running the generator. Except for the time the oil cap decided to remove itself and spill oil on the ground, operation has been flawless. We haven't done much hot weather camping, preferring to RV in the off season and high altitude or coastal when it's super hot.

Really like the cool looking vent, and would install it if someone gave me one, but wouldn't seek out one to purchase. Anyone in FR Warranty listening?
Old 10-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #34

"So for the RV crowd with seemingly endless amounts of time to think about maintenance, adjusting the valves would be a harmless excersize - done correctly."

I think I'm one of that crowd. Don't know about endless time for an RV, but I do know that preventative maintenance, which is not limited to the required maintenance, avoids a lot of problems for an owner and reduces the likelihood of a failed trip.

There are classes on preventative maintenance and generators. But, you have to be a diehard DIY to take these classes like I did instead of having fun and staying on the road.

I would have to look, but I don't remember reading about adjusting the valves as part of the maintenance in the generator course.

Unfortunately, my wife has her list of endless cooking requests for me today. My wife refused to cook when she figured out I can make restaurant quality or better meals. However, she does help with the preparation and cleanup.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #35

Wink Clicking Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawffeeguy View Post
Hey Lexi you received a lot of responses on the geny but did you ever receive any feedback from anyone else on the other issue you had about the clicking sound in the black box over the house batteries? I also have had the same problem. Sometimes it does it and sometimes not, so everyone else thinks I'm crazy (but that's another story). In the middle of the night I can hear it clicking every 8 seconds for hours on end. Then the next day it wouldn't do it, then a few days later or the next trip it would do it again Let us know what you come up with...thanks.
Cawffeeguy, we had the rig in storage for 6 weeks or so but brought it home to use for extra sleeping room for company this weekend. Sure enough the clicking started,,,and stopped,,,intermittently. I arranged for our repair place to do a home visit and of course the dumb thing was dead quiet. Until I switched on the lights inside the rig and there it went. Just to be on the safe side, I made a sound byte on my smart phone but fortunately the clicking continued. The repair guy diagnosed it as some sort of a coil that resides behind the "breaker" panel. Hoping we can get it repaired or someone gonna get the couch and recliner this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #36

Thanks…it sure is perplexing, I still haven’t found or heard a solution yet either.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #37

Dang Click

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawffeeguy View Post
Thanks…it sure is perplexing, I still haven’t found or heard a solution yet either.
Cawfeeguy I had a long talk with my brother who works or forklifts and such. He seems to believe a part problem would result in a catastrophic electric failure somewhere inside the coach. He thinks it could be more of a loose connection going to or from the batteries, corrosion, or even something within the batteries. After we wiggled the cables coming out of the battery, it's been on shore power since Thursday and NO clicking. I'm thinking he may be on to something. What do you think?
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #38

I'll have to wait a while since its in storage right now and I don't have a trip coming up anytime soon...but I'll try it when I get it back out - thanks.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #39

"clicking" from the house battery compartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi2007 View Post
We just returned from a 4500 mile round trip and experienced two new issues. On about the 4th night from the return home, we started hearing an intermittent clicking sound, like something turning on and off. A little detective work indicated it was coming from the black box in the battery bay. We experimented when we got home, it did it whether on shore power or not, did not do it all the time and the one time DH tried to turn the batteries to disconnect, he didn't actually disconnect the batteries. Now it's at the repair shop and they have not been able to duplicate the problem [Of course not!] Is there anything else we can ask them to check before we bring it all the way home? Are there electric OBDCs like are available for cars and trucks? At least I think they are.

The other issue is inability to keep the generator running for more than about 15 minutes. Again the repair shop has not been able to duplicate. It occurred while on the road and while we were trying to keep the coach cool during the drive through the heat. We know it had oil, more than half tank of gasoline in the rig tanks, just had filters changed before leaving on the trip. It worked just fine in the driveway and during the first half of the trip.
Suggestions?
I am having the same "clicking" issue. It clicks twice about every 15-20 seconds. I crawled under for a look and the first click is coming from a terminal labeled "optifuze" followed by a click coming from the batter control box. Everything appears to be working okay. Did you find out anything concerning your issue? Thanks.
Scott
Old 02-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #40

You don't by any chance have solar panels. If so, did this occur during the day? It sounds like the BCC boost solenoid, which is located within the BCC black box. This solenoid will fire when the battery voltage goes over 13 volts or so and then disconnect when it goes below that threshold. It connects the house battery to the chassis battery. If it is this solenoid, you can confirm that since in one state you will hear a click when you press the boost start switch and in another there will be none since the solenoid is already engaged. Once engaged, it will stay that way for maybe 15 seconds to a minute.

Solar installations can hear this occasionally when the sun goes behind a cloud and the voltage coming from the solar charge converter drops below the threshold. It is really irritating!!!!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote