Old 10-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #31
Wayne and sherry, what else can I tell you?

Havasudave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #32
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
I did some checking on this ever since havasu posted because we have over 140 hours on our generator. Please keep in mind I'm not trying to open a can of worms or get into a "pc" with anyone. That being said, nowhere in the service/maintenance manual does it say the valves should be adjusted after 50 hours, or ever. I also spoke with a tech at Cummings/Onan and he confirmed this. Unless there is an actual valve problem. But, not as a service. He also felt it was an unnecessary action by the mechanic.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I totally agree

2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #33
Tightening of valves happens on all newly built 4 stroke motors like used in the Onan 4000.

Or any 4 stroke motor, after break in.

Buy a new high performance motorcycle and you can count on having to do a post break in valve adjustment, always thought it odd that most high performance cars don't call for any adjustment, there must be a reason.

So for the RV crowd with seemingly endless amounts of time to think about maintenance, adjusting the valves would be a harmless excersize - done correctly.

After chasing down the parts to perform my 175 HR service, not sure if the effort to chase the parts, the possibility of my ineptitude causing more trouble than I fixed and the time it would take would be well spent.

If Onan says no adjustment needed, I'm inclined to save my maintenance efforts towards all the other items on my long long lists.

Putting nearly 200 hours on our 4000, have yet to experience any failures when running the generator. Except for the time the oil cap decided to remove itself and spill oil on the ground, operation has been flawless. We haven't done much hot weather camping, preferring to RV in the off season and high altitude or coastal when it's super hot.

Really like the cool looking vent, and would install it if someone gave me one, but wouldn't seek out one to purchase. Anyone in FR Warranty listening?
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #34
"So for the RV crowd with seemingly endless amounts of time to think about maintenance, adjusting the valves would be a harmless excersize - done correctly."

I think I'm one of that crowd. Don't know about endless time for an RV, but I do know that preventative maintenance, which is not limited to the required maintenance, avoids a lot of problems for an owner and reduces the likelihood of a failed trip.

There are classes on preventative maintenance and generators. But, you have to be a diehard DIY to take these classes like I did instead of having fun and staying on the road.

I would have to look, but I don't remember reading about adjusting the valves as part of the maintenance in the generator course.

Unfortunately, my wife has her list of endless cooking requests for me today. My wife refused to cook when she figured out I can make restaurant quality or better meals. However, she does help with the preparation and cleanup.

Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote