Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #1

2 New Issues

We just returned from a 4500 mile round trip and experienced two new issues. On about the 4th night from the return home, we started hearing an intermittent clicking sound, like something turning on and off. A little detective work indicated it was coming from the black box in the battery bay. We experimented when we got home, it did it whether on shore power or not, did not do it all the time and the one time DH tried to turn the batteries to disconnect, he didn't actually disconnect the batteries. Now it's at the repair shop and they have not been able to duplicate the problem [Of course not!] Is there anything else we can ask them to check before we bring it all the way home? Are there electric OBDCs like are available for cars and trucks? At least I think they are.

The other issue is inability to keep the generator running for more than about 15 minutes. Again the repair shop has not been able to duplicate. It occurred while on the road and while we were trying to keep the coach cool during the drive through the heat. We know it had oil, more than half tank of gasoline in the rig tanks, just had filters changed before leaving on the trip. It worked just fine in the driveway and during the first half of the trip.
Suggestions?
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
edm

Generator

FR has now put a fresh air vent in the generator cabnet door to help keep the generator cooler. There have been many problems with generators over heating. Also the fuel pumps have been known to fail because of heat.
Good luck.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #3

I want to order a extra fuel pump for my 2015 30DS. What is the PN on the fuel pump l should order?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums yo
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
edm

fuel pump

The airtex number for the fuel pump is E11007 and can be purchased from Amazon. Price is 39.68 shipped.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm View Post
The airtex number for the fuel pump is E11007 and can be purchased from Amazon. Price is 39.68 shipped.

Thanks EDM

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums yo
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Not going to help now but use your smart phone to video tape it next time the issues comes back. I did that with a problem I was having with my microwave. The service tech was then able to duplicate the problem which turned out to be user error.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm View Post
FR has now put a fresh air vent in the generator cabnet door to help keep the generator cooler. There have been many problems with generators over heating. Also the fuel pumps have been known to fail because of heat.
Good luck.
I would like to know more about what you mentioned about the air vent in the generator door.
Who and where did you hear this from?

Like to know.
Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:50 AM   #8

Iggy

See this thread in the FR3 forum for the generator vent

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for....php?p=1267993
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:42 AM   #9

Generator

My father in law has an older MH with an Onan generator. Last year he had the same issues with the generator running for short periods then shutting down due to fuel shortage especially when running both air conditioners. He grew up in the era of pure gasoline and does not understand the alcohol component so he just parks it for 7 or 8 months and expects it to run just fine. To get back to the solution, one day after several fuel filters and much frustration I blew compressed air back threw the fuel line to the gas tank. I don't know what was in there but it solved the problem. He just got back from a 3000mi trip with no issues.

Good luck solving your issues
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #10
RJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I would like to know more about what you mentioned about the air vent in the generator door.
Who and where did you hear this from?

Like to know.
Thanks

Iggy, I had looked into this earlier and this is how it was explained to me. The FR3 has a 4000w generator with air intake on the side. The vent on the door is in line with the intake. We have a 5500w on the Georgetowns with air intake coming up through the bottom of the unit, so the vent door doesn't work in our set up.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
My father in law has an older MH with an Onan generator. Last year he had the same issues with the generator running for short periods then shutting down due to fuel shortage especially when running both air conditioners. He grew up in the era of pure gasoline and does not understand the alcohol component so he just parks it for 7 or 8 months and expects it to run just fine. To get back to the solution, one day after several fuel filters and much frustration I blew compressed air back threw the fuel line to the gas tank. I don't know what was in there but it solved the problem. He just got back from a 3000mi trip with no issues.

Good luck solving your issues
Thanks. We used an additive about every other 80 gal tank fill up but with no improvement. I'll check out the fuel line issue next.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
Iggy, I had looked into this earlier and this is how it was explained to me. The FR3 has a 4000w generator with air intake on the side. The vent on the door is in line with the intake. We have a 5500w on the Georgetowns with air intake coming up through the bottom of the unit, so the vent door doesn't work in our set up.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
I know its for a FR3 but wanted to hear more about it for reference only.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi2007 View Post
Thanks. We used an additive about every other 80 gal tank fill up but with no improvement. I'll check out the fuel line issue next.
Lexi2007
When driving and using the generator the oil lever is critical.
You really need to insure that it is at the proper full level while on a level surface.

Now I have heard other with Onan's shutting down while driving and the culprit was the road not being level. If the road leans the oil level may change and the oil sensor may sense low oil and shut down. This is a safety circuits and may be all that is your problem. It doesn't take much to shut it down on a curve or bumpy road.

When parked and level no issues. So maybe this is your issue and all I can suggest is make sure the oil level is at full mark.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #14

Generator problems

I also had some generator problems. Here's what I learned: these generators need a valve adjustment after the first 50 hours or so. The valves tighten up and you lose compression. Also, even if it looks like it is full of oil, it may not be. I had to add a bit myself. With both of these issues resolved we just completed our 5000 mile trip running the generator all the time and no issues with it at all.
Hope this helps.
Havasudave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Lexi2007
When driving and using the generator the oil lever is critical.
You really need to insure that it is at the proper full level while on a level surface.

Now I have heard other with Onan's shutting down while driving and the culprit was the road not being level. If the road leans the oil level may change and the oil sensor may sense low oil and shut down. This is a safety circuits and may be all that is your problem. It doesn't take much to shut it down on a curve or bumpy road.

When parked and level no issues. So maybe this is your issue and all I can suggest is make sure the oil level is at full mark.
Seriously, we checked the oil level every days, sometimes twice a day. The oil is right up to the point that if we added anymore, it would spill out. Still checking out other issues. Thank you though.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #16

After I installed the fuel pump/vent mod, everything has been trouble free for us. If in doubt, take that door panel off. Just two screws on one of the hinges and the door will slide right off the hinges. Stow the door and head on down the road to see if its the heat that is causing it to shut down. Might not look pretty, but will prove the point.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #17

Valve adjustment?

Never knew they needed adjustment, but all that proves is my lack of knowledge.

Indulge us all with any how's whys whatnots you have on doing this valve adjustment!

Obliged.
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #18

Sure. My mechanic is certified in the. Onan generators
He explained that there is a breakin period and that around 50 hours he explained that the valves need adjusting. They tighten up considerably, and that causes the genset to lose compression
Mine got so it would die when you put a load on it such as the a/c. He popped the head, used a feeler gauge and loosened them up. The procedure took about 20 minutes, and the only part needed was a head gasket set, about 10 bucks as I recall. It has absolutely run perfectly since. Btw, my oil level looked fine, but it still needed a pint or so.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #19

Btw. This is a one time adjustment. Never needs it again
Old 10-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #20

Hey Lexi you received a lot of responses on the geny but did you ever receive any feedback from anyone else on the other issue you had about the clicking sound in the black box over the house batteries? I also have had the same problem. Sometimes it does it and sometimes not, so everyone else thinks I'm crazy (but that's another story). In the middle of the night I can hear it clicking every 8 seconds for hours on end. Then the next day it wouldn't do it, then a few days later or the next trip it would do it again Let us know what you come up with...thanks.