Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

2014 FR3 Early vs Late

I am looking at 2 2014 FR3 units. Apparently the late units had a Larger Air Unit, Gas/electric Water heater, and LED lights on Awning. Are there other changes. How significant are these upgrades. There is $ 4,000 difference in price. Would appreciate advice. Bear
Bearister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #2

2014 FR3 Early vs Late

I purchased my My 2014 used in 15 at a considerable discount with 1200 miles on it.! My 2014 has a queen bed, not a King. Mine did not have led awning but I added after market for under $75. It has the bad headlights and I added aux headlights. It Did not have the bedroom tv, I added it, had the 13.000 btu ac unit (that has never been a problem for us in the East even during our trip to Badlands and Wyoming) Mine had a domestic toilet that was under recall, a plastic shower curtain with a fold in shower curtain , no electric in the water heater ( that I complained about but honestly has never been an issue either). A flip up bracket for the kitchen tv not a side hinge, the 8 pin trailer socket was mounted to the hitch at the lowest point not to the side and ultimately scraped. All these things I fixed myself some with mfg replacement parts have been updated now by FR at roughly the same price.

I had a real windshield gasket not the glue that has often caused leaks. Never had a problem with leaks from either the ac or the windshield. I've added the bedroom tv and upgraded the shower curtain, got a free toilet from domestic and installed it.

If I were not a handy tinkerer I would pay the $4K for the upgrades, especially for the King bed! If it doesn't have the king and you can add these things yourself you can do them yourself for less, but consider your cost of time and if you enjoy doing these things or not. That said, if you buy one of these you are going to learn to fabricate and alter / upgrade stuff.

Good luck and have fun either way!

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #3

Thank U

Can u tell more about headlights ? Also is it obvious if unit has the gasket seal on windshield ? I'm rather mechanical as I restore antique cars and know my way around a wrench. I'm told one can actually add a second AC unit for around $ 800.00 if needed. It was not clear to me. What did components cost u for upgrade. I like the people who have the early unit and that does come into play. The late 2014 unit is $ 66K and earlier unit is $ 62,500. I think that is decent pricing and Tnx to u I'm leaning to later unit. It also front stabilizers installed.
Bearister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #4

The rubber windshield gasket was used on the early 2014s and it will will have a seam where the two ends connect. The hot melt gasket will not. I'll take a photo tomorrow. Either way, If you buy a used one, tell the dealer you want to test the windshield for leaks first and have them blast the front nose cap with a garden hose while you check the inside.

As for the headlights, I don't think you can tell from the outside but the lamps on the 2014 are terribly under powered. If your head lights have the integrated LED ring there is a good chance they are the under powered ones. Owners have also reported that the factory never aimed them. So if you buy either coach, insist your dealer do that or get them aimed at an inspection station. In a new coach with under powered headlamps you could complain to FR that the lights are insufficient but in a used one (FR won't honor a warranty on a used coach- unless it's a recall or DOT safety issue) so you may have to pay for headlight upgrades There are posts in the forum about the lights. Some have convinced FR to send free replacements and others have negotiated partial payments. If the 2015 does not have headlights with outer LED ri GS you should have the good ones.

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #5

I bought my New 2015 Surveyor 294QBLE by FR, this past April 14, 2016 for $18,995 before taxes.Had LED light strip in the awning, I added a power jack.
zzzroc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzroc2005 View Post
I bought my New 2015 Surveyor 294QBLE by FR, this past April 14, 2016 for $18,995 before taxes.Had LED light strip in the awning, I added a power jack.
Congrats @zzzroc2005, but this is an FR3 thread so I don't think that helps the OP.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags