Old 05-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
2015 30ds

We are scheduled to take delivery of a 2015 FR3 30DS tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone can tell us any special things we need to be watchful of, or any known problems with this year and model.

Gatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #2
There have been a few previous post that have a laundry list to go through. A Google search should turn up something for you to go off of. My advice is to TAKE YOUR TIME. Turn everything on and off. Put the slides in and out. Make sure everything runs properly. Closely examine the fit and finish both inside and out, including the roof. For example, the was a 1/4" hole in the wall of our bath. There was rust on the rear bumper and the trim around our windshield was done poorly (ended up with a leak). Remember that mechanically you have warranty, but the fit and finish you only have one chance to find discrepancies. Hope this helps get you started.

Jay & Jane (Jazzy and Jewel, too)
2014 FR3 30DS
Twin Cities, MN

Live Aloha
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
Some day I'm going to make a longer post. My coach has been in a body shop for 11 weeks getting 11 crackled spots on the curb side fiberglass repaired with a comedy of delays of approval, negotiations, and two wrong shipments of decals from Forest River. This repair is only one of 22 warranty items I've had with my 2015 FR3 30DS since taking delivery in March 2015.

You should spend >>hours<< going over that coach inspecting every system and every inch. And, make sure you drive it and find some bumps.

A short list: Crackled (above), Hide a bed needs four magnets, If LR TV swings left, will open underway, Stair frame failed (not the stairs), Taillights (a) cracked due to improper screw head size, (b) 3 screws missed the body, (c) 1 screw stripped, and (d) one edge barely covering/sealed to body, Screen door had 3/4" gap in one corner, Outside TV mis-wired for DVD, Gray tank leaks. There's a longer list....
2015 FR3 30DS
2010 Ford Escape Toad
Kadiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Hello Gatch, welcome, and (eventually) you will come to love your with any new RV it does take time and patience the first season to work out all the kinks and 'learn' your own unit. I agree with Kadiddle to dedicate lots of time to go over your unit carefully...and getting out in the field camping will be the only way to truly 'shake down' your RV. I very much encourage you to read all the posts of improvements other FR3 owners have made...I have incorporated so many of their suggestions, I've lost count!!

That said, my biggest problem with my FR3 to date wasn't even a Forest River problem but a Ford problem. My 2015 FR3 30DS rides on a late-production 2014 F53 Ford chassis. By 2000 miles, both the left and right front wheel bearings (including spindles, hub assemblies, gaskets, brake linings, etc) had blown out (while driving - a harrowing experience - it feels just like you have blown a tire). Both instances were repaired by Ford under warranty but you can imagine the hassle having to tow this twice, the down time, interruption to plans, etc. I also went ahead and had the front end aligned (~$125) and that made a really nice difference in the steering/stability I've experienced. I've now had multiple trouble-free outings already this season and I feel confident enough finally to do that 3000 mile trip we have planned for this summer.

Good luck with your new unit and keep us posted. Happy camping!
Jim & Beth
Indianapolis, IN
2015 FR3 30DS
2013 Honda CR-V
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:06 AM   #5
Junior Retiree
Have a 2014 and I know improvements were made in the 2015 model, but here's a few things I ran into:
- overhead bunk slipping off magnets while driving. Adjustment done by Dealer no further problems.
- stairs collapsed. Check if on recall list.
- plumbing stack under kitchen leaked, not glued in factory.
- awning motor quit, was under recall, Dealer did not know.
- backup camera failed, wiring to control box issue.
- windshield leaking.
- DVD wired incorrectly.
- Radio failed.
- Front tire excessive wear, get an alignment, Forest River might pay.
- Driver side slide guide roller (front) chewed up. Appears screw heads on slide cut into roller, have Dealer countersink screws if protruding.
- storage door locks rusting
- and a few other minor finishing issues.

Spent a lot of time in the Dealer's shop during the first year, but don't get discouraged, just keep at it until all the bugs are cleaned up. For me, Forest River and my Dealer stood behind the product and I'm very pleased with the end result.

2014 FR3 30DS
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Canuck2584 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will continue reading the forums and slowly check every thing out. I bought the unit used with 9,000 miles on it. So hopefully all the bugs have already been ironed out.
Gatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
We also bought ours used and I'd double check the rear sway bar to make sure its bolted up. Ours, and most others, will find a bolt or two missing. They back out from the factory. We just went through all the systems making sure everything works and haven't really had any issues that I couldn't fix. We've had the stairs motor go out on us which really has been the only issue. Double check the tread on your front tires. Compare them with the back and you might notice quite a bit of wear, which will means its never been aligned with the box on the chassis.

KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote