Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #1

2015 FR3 DS30 Slideout Gear Box

2 weeks ago I posted how my bedroom Slide gearbox went out and I fixed it on my own after ordering a new gear box from Dyers. Not 14 days later, my gearbox on the main living room slide goes out. I know it's the gearbox and not the motor because the slide comes in, just now out.

There must be a 2 year life on these gearboxes.. it can't be a coincidence to have 2 duds.

And my warranty would require me finding an approved repair shop, wait on the part, and bring my RV in for who knows how long at peek season. I've already booked all these places and refunds are rare. Plus I rent my house out AirBNB while away so I have nowhere to stay while being fixed.

Is there a way to get Forrest River to just ship me the parts for free since I can do the work on site?
gomatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #2

I Have had great success with getting them to ship the parts allowing me to do the work. I am under warranty and if that is true with you call the warranty number, get a hold of the person working that model and hopefully you will get the same help as I have.
good luck,
Titan 50 gal fuel tank
Air Lift 7500 lb bags
changing it up a bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #3

Ditto. My 2014 has a lippert step motor inner nylon gear grind and after asking for a new motor to install myself FR warranty sent one the next day!
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #4

I should also note that this was explained as an exception because the Kwikee steps had already been replaced once as part or a recall. And once I told them the issue of the grinding and that I was willing to replace the motor myself they were way more responsive.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomatthew View Post
2 weeks ago I posted how my bedroom Slide gearbox went out and I fixed it on my own after ordering a new gear box from Dyers. Not 14 days later, my gearbox on the main living room slide goes out. I know it's the gearbox and not the motor because the slide comes in, just now out.

There must be a 2 year life on these gearboxes.. it can't be a coincidence to have 2 duds.

And my warranty would require me finding an approved repair shop, wait on the part, and bring my RV in for who knows how long at peek season. I've already booked all these places and refunds are rare. Plus I rent my house out AirBNB while away so I have nowhere to stay while being fixed.

Is there a way to get Forrest River to just ship me the parts for free since I can do the work on site?

Where did you order the gearbox. Im having the same problem at 2 years.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #6

@firesurf.. Dyers Online.

RV Supplies, RV Accessories, RV Parts, Camper Parts, 5th Wheel Hitch

Item
BAL R25076 Slide Out Gear Box

Sku

That was the right part for me.
gomatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

@gomatthew... If you're planning to replace the LR slide motor yourself, be sure you can get the slide out. It's much easier to replace with the slide out. It took 3 of us to push our slide out when our motor/gearbox went out (2 to push on slide, 1 to push button).

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #8

Agree 100% if it moves at all even if it requires pushing..much easier to get it at least 1/2 out if not all the way out. Now when you have it all the way out and release the motor....you will need to support the slide on the outside if not it will tilt on you. I used a 2x12 and several jacks to support the slide level when i replaced my motor on the LR slide. (the bottom will want to slide inwards when the tension is removed to swap out the motors).

Ive had to replace both of mine but this is due to objects in the way causing the motor to strip (drawer on one and a water bottle on the other).

The BR is easier for my 25DS then the LR. On the BR of mine i just open the overhead cabinet and remove the back panel. plenty of room to work. On the LR i had to remove trim and then boards covering key sections of the motor system. And then the amount of space is much tighter to work in. Its doable and the next time it will be easier having done it once before.

Keep your cables tensioned properly (which requires all the same work) and keep objects out of the way during slide movement.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomatthew View Post
@firesurf.. Dyers Online.

RV Supplies, RV Accessories, RV Parts, Camper Parts, 5th Wheel Hitch

Item

BAL R25076 Slide Out Gear Box

Sku

That was the right part for me.

Thanks for the info that looks like the correct part. The problem im having is the slide wont go out. I have to push really hard on it to start moving. Then when i come to bring it in it sounds like it is struggling big time and stops all together. I give it a break and it will pull it in but struggling big time again. Is this what you encountered?
Old 08-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #10
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Our LR slide went out while we were in Columbia Falls, MT. I called a mobile RV repair. He came out, we were able to get the slide out. He then got all the info off the motor/gearbox and called our ESP company and worked everything out for repairs. The part was overnighted and the repairs were done the next day by 7pm. All it cost us was the deductible. We were then able to continue our trip with no interruption.
I see many people on here say they had to go to a service facility for repairs. Keep in mind that most extended service plans will work with mobile repair guys as long as they have a license. That's all our ESP, GS, asked the repair guy for.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #11

Who do you use for your ESP. I have heard people with lots of problems getting things covered.
Tsmac43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #12
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsmac43 View Post
Who do you use for your ESP. I have heard people with lots of problems getting things covered.
We have Good Sam ESP

Old 08-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #13

Fixed both slides. Thanks for the help gents.

Tags
fr3, slide