Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
AD2

2016 28DS Valve Stems and Inflation Access Problem

I am getting ready to dewinterize the unit and head out for the first trip. I checked (or tried) to check the tire pressures. The fronts and inside dual was no problem as FR installed a valve extension on the inside tire that I can access . The problem is the outside rear wheel. The valve stem is near an access hole in the rim but it is not in a position that I can get any type of pressure gauge on it. My long handled offset contacts the rim before I can align it with the stem and a standard head gauge will not fit. I have the same problem with the inflator head. I tried valve extensions but that made it worse as the tires are very close.
Has anyone else solved this problem? I have a little time left but I would hate to have to remove the outside tires just to air them up.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:59 AM   #2

You need some valve extenders. I have these, and they work, just a little tight with the simulators.

Pacific Dualies 18135 135 Degree Valve Stem Extension
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #3

Extenders

My FR3 has the same problem. My dealer told me it was either take off the wheel caps to check and fill or have them put on special extenders. When I dropped it off for waranty work Tues I told them to put the extenders on as I don;t want to be messing with removing the caps every month.

The problem seems to be in Fords use of 3 inch metal valve stems on their rims. On my Thor I had one that kept coming loose as I drove resulting in a flat tire. So far on the FR3 I haven't had that problem.
Richard Tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #4

I didn't want to introduce a failure point by adding screw on extenders. I had "dually valves" extenders installed by a location tire shop. This required all the tires to be remounted. The chrome extenders eliminates the braided extension and provided the connection for my pass thru tire pressure monitors. Not a low cost upgrade.

Dually valves $120
Remove old valves an remount tires $200
Tire pressure monitor approx $175

Peace of mind: priceless.!
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote