Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 38
2016 32DS slides not working off battery

Hi everyone, I searched the forum but didn't seem to find this particular issue. I have a 2016 32DS and the slide outs used to work fine off the batteries but lately they have not been working off the batteries. Once hooked to shore power or generator, they work fine.
The display panel in the hallway shows full charge and even after being hooked to shore power for a week (which means I should be fully charged) they still refuse to work off batteries.
Other things work fine off the 12v when not connected to shore power. Lights etc so I know 12v circuits themselves are fine.

Is there something obvious I'm neglecting to check?
Thank you all
__________________

mjessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Jackthe3rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 9
Make sure that ignition is turned off completely - if is key is in any other position....slides won't deploy (at least mine won't).
__________________

__________________

Jackthe3rd
2015 FR3 30DS
Jackthe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackthe3rd View Post
Make sure that ignition is turned off completely - if is key is in any other position....slides won't deploy (at least mine won't).
OP said they work fine when on shore/genny power so ignition is not the issue. Do you have a volt meter to check battery voltage when the slide switch is actuated? It appears your issue is a battery one. Lights are not a good indication of a low battery voltage. With shore/genny power the converter is supplementing a low battery charge.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjessie View Post
Hi everyone, I searched the forum but didn't seem to find this particular issue. I have a 2016 32DS and the slide outs used to work fine off the batteries but lately they have not been working off the batteries. Once hooked to shore power or generator, they work fine.
The display panel in the hallway shows full charge and even after being hooked to shore power for a week (which means I should be fully charged) they still refuse to work off batteries.
Other things work fine off the 12v when not connected to shore power. Lights etc so I know 12v circuits themselves are fine.

Is there something obvious I'm neglecting to check?
Thank you all

What exactly is the "full charge" state on the batteries? A green Led light may be a representation of value but the electronics of the slide system may demand more, even if just a few tenths of a volt. Very possible those batteries were damaged before delivery and will not come back to full capacity. I always operate slides on shore power or main engine operating. Very large surge load for 2-4 slides and not usually necessary to stress the batteries that hard.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING
 
drivmsafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjessie View Post
Hi everyone, I searched the forum but didn't seem to find this particular issue. I have a 2016 32DS and the slide outs used to work fine off the batteries but lately they have not been working off the batteries. Once hooked to shore power or generator, they work fine.
The display panel in the hallway shows full charge and even after being hooked to shore power for a week (which means I should be fully charged) they still refuse to work off batteries.
Other things work fine off the 12v when not connected to shore power. Lights etc so I know 12v circuits themselves are fine.

Is there something obvious I'm neglecting to check?
Thank you all
There are 2 12V fuses in the distribution panel for the slide rooms. 1 a 20amp for slide room 2, the other a 25amp for slide room 1. I'm not sure if these work off battery only and are overridden when on shore or gen. power but, it might be worth a look to see if one is blown.
__________________
Smooth Roads, and, Drive 'em Safe

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,100
Hold your emergency start switch to start and try the slides. That will put your coach and chassis batteries in parallel. I know they work off the converter and this may be just a cross check for your battery condition.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
Curiouser and Curiouser
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Keizer, Oregon
Posts: 141
Not sure if this is helpful, but on my 30DS when on battery only, in order for the sliders to extend, the ignition key must not be turned all the way clockwise but instead to the stop just before the last stop counterclockwise. Sort of like the full counterclockwise position is the car equivalent of ACC.

Often I find myself turning off the motor and then go to put out the sliders and nothing happens. I go forward and turn the ignition to the next clockwise stop and the problem is solved.
__________________
Finch
2016 FR3 30DS
Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 38
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. This is all good info to have. Today when I got to the campsite, I made sure the key was not in the ignition and the slides worked off the batteries. I cannot say with certainty if I had the keys in the ignition before when they were not working. I know for a fact the engine was not on, but if simply having the keys in the ignition causes them to not work, I'm really hoping it's as simple as that. I will update the thread after a few more tests to let you all know how it goes. Again thank you so much for your help.
mjessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjessie View Post
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. This is all good info to have. Today when I got to the campsite, I made sure the key was not in the ignition and the slides worked off the batteries. I cannot say with certainty if I had the keys in the ignition before when they were not working. I know for a fact the engine was not on, but if simply having the keys in the ignition causes them to not work, I'm really hoping it's as simple as that. I will update the thread after a few more tests to let you all know how it goes. Again thank you so much for your help.
If the ignition caused them to not work off the batteries (there is an ignition lockout for the slides) they would not work at all regardless of what power configuration you were in. Is this a Paul Harvey tale?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If the ignition caused them to not work off the batteries (there is an ignition lockout for the slides) they would not work at all regardless of what power configuration you were in. Is this a Paul Harvey tale?
That is correct but what may have happened is this:
1. Arrived to campsite
2. Leveled with ignition running (as per the instructions).
3. Turned ignition off (left keys in)
4. Walked to back and tried slides....no go.
5. Decided ok well I need to hook up power and since I'm now getting out of the RV, took keys with me because i need my key ring to unlock the door in the back where the power cable is.
6. Hooked up power
7. Operated slides off shore power.

Makes sense to me but only time will tell if I can consistently continue to operate them off the batteries.
__________________

mjessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, slide

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.