Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

2016 FR3 30ds CURIOSITY

We have the 2016 FR3 30ds. Can anyone tell me for sure what is under the king size bed and is this space accessible? I can see in the pass thru storage under the bed the ceiling drops also. I would suspect a large tank of some sort. I have the diagrams previously off the forum of wiring, plumbing, heating and vents, but no location of tanks and their plumbing. Any tank location diagrams would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMPDK View Post
We have the 2016 FR3 30ds. Can anyone tell me for sure what is under the king size bed and is this space accessible? I can see in the pass thru storage under the bed the ceiling drops also. I would suspect a large tank of some sort. I have the diagrams previously off the forum of wiring, plumbing, heating and vents, but no location of tanks and their plumbing. Any tank location diagrams would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I have the 32ds (not sure if it is the same). If you remove the matress you should be able to unscrew the plywood cover. There is not really any room in there for storage.

On ours, a portion of the space is used for wiring and the other portion is being used by the lower storage. Our water tank is somewhere between the frame and the housing unit if I recall, not under the bed. Grey and Black are under frame.
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

Just the passthru storage area from what I can tell. The water tank is in the same bay as the water heater is and the black/grey tank are in the storage area just forward of the passthru storage area. Feel free to take a tape measure and take a measure. I bet its close, though I haven't measured it. Ceiling drops because that's the foot of the bed where you walk in front of the cabinets.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #4

Thank you linchat and KansasFR3, For some reason I couldn't get that visual picture. Even after you explained it I had to think about it for a while. I GOT IT NOW! Some days the mind takes a few days off. Seems to be more often lately. LOL thanks for your help.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #5

I have the 30DS and want to know if anyone has found a better mattress then the one from the factory?

Also when in the bed it feels like you are sleeping on a down hill slope. To stop this feeling I put a layer of dry wall over the plywood and it seemed to level it out some.
Larry Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Roth View Post
I have the 30DS and want to know if anyone has found a better mattress then the one from the factory?

Also when in the bed it feels like you are sleeping on a down hill slope. To stop this feeling I put a layer of dry wall over the plywood and it seemed to level it out some.
Factory mattresses! lol. The worst! Funny though, my dw and I both are "ok" with the mattress our 32ds came with. You can use a standard bed mattress if you like, the size should be standard. Our 32ds has limited space between end of bed and drawers, so a stiff mattress would make it harder to pass. The flexibility of the cheap mattress helps to keep that area a little easier to traverse.

In our old rv, we just used an inflatable which was fine.

Just out of dumb curiosity, have you removed the mattress an put a level on it. Maybe you feel that way because it is actually happening. Is this every trip, are you in the same location for a long period of time.

After leveling, maybe the jacks are sinking and the level has been lost. We usually put stackables under the leveling blocks as a dealer once told us that if the level jacks sink it could possibly bend the jack. Also creating a wider suface area for the jack to sit on decreases the chance of it sinking and knocking out your level.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #7

The wife and I also have found that the factory mattress was acceptable not perfect but acceptable for now. We did add on a 3" memory foam topper. Made all the difference in the world. We intend to put in a sleep number bed down the road.
Check your coach level. I noticed when I put a bubble level down on the floor in front of the bathroom and centered the coach from there it made a big difference in sleeping and the feel of a more level coach. Good luck and safe travels.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Roth View Post

There is no question... the bed slops down in ours too. Towards the foot of the bed. I believe it's because of the slide out.
The bed frame is not notched over the floor of the slide out so the difference is the thickness of the plywood.
One of these days I'm going to pull the bed out and fix that "box frame" the mattress sits on so it will level out the bed.
We actually slide on it throughout the night...

I thought it was just mine.
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:12 PM   #9

Mattress

Just wanted u to know that I put a layer of drywall on top of plywood so it is better
Old 04-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #10

I cut it up in smaller Passover it was easy job
Old 04-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #11

Smaller pieces
Old 05-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #12

Has anyone installed the road-master rear sway bar on their 2016 30ds? Which kit did you need? Did you need the extra long u-bolts?

Old 05-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMPDK View Post
Has anyone installed the road-master rear sway bar on their 2016 30ds? Which kit did you need? Did you need the extra long u-bolts?
I'd open up a separate thread for this topic if want more responses. But have a look into Hellwig 7215 rear sway bar (front is 7217). It'll save you some pennies. It included everything you need for installation including longer U-bolts. Not that the Roadmaster doesn't, just not familiar with that particular kit. We have a 2015 30DS.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
I'd open up a separate thread for this topic if want more responses. But have a look into Hellwig 7215 rear sway bar (front is 7217). It'll save you some pennies. It included everything you need for installation including longer U-bolts. Not that the Roadmaster doesn't, just not familiar with that particular kit. We have a 2015 30DS.
Did you do the installation, how was it?
Old 05-03-2016, 11:18 PM   #15

We put in a Bed in a box memory foam mattress. 11 inches is the Max on a 30DS that will still slide under the cabinets when retracted. Made to size with cool foam option medium firm.

We love it.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #16

The bed was the first thing to go for us. We purchased a generic memory foam mattress at the local furniture store. Much, much better. For those considering an extension to the bed frame, make sure you don't make it too long or it may hit the cabinets and cause the slide motors to bind up. I left mine a couple inches short of the end of the mattress just to be on the safe side. Not only does it not hit the cabinets, it also saves the shins/knees when walking around the bed - no plywood corners sticking out.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchat View Post
Did you do the installation, how was it?
Yeah, I rather do the work if I can on the RV. Hardest part is removing the old U-bolts (I just cut them off) and torquing down the new U-bolts. I think it was north of 200 ft-lbs, which is a handful lying on your back. Once you get the new base plates mounted under the axles, its pretty easy after that.