Old 02-18-2018, 08:35 PM   #1

2017 fr3 30ds

I am going to be looking at a 17' FR3 30DS this week. Been following some of the threads and checking some of the postings you folks have on your FR3's to get an idea of any potential problems. Does anyone have any pointers of what to look for on these units.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
I am going to be looking at a 17' FR3 30DS this week. Been following some of the threads and checking some of the postings you folks have on your FR3's to get an idea of any potential problems. Does anyone have any pointers of what to look for on these units.
The windshields can leak & the slide gearboxes go bad rather quickly. Id 100% get the extended warranty

gomatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #3

We have enjoyed ours and put 14,000 miles on last year. We have had small issues that we had repaired under warranty, but nothing major like some other fellow FR3 owners.

We have had broken screws on the slides where the cable bracket attaches to the slide room wall and on the drip edge above the door. The front roller on the main slide broke and scratched the slide room front wall. Just take a peek through the front seal to inspect the roller. Forest River Tech Support just recommended removing the roller. Our dealer cut it off and had no further problems. Ours did not originally come with the kitchen sink covers or drop down counter extension as later models in 2017 did. I had them installed under warranty.

Everything is fixable, but just make sure you touch, open and operate everything. If able climb under and inspect and touch all undercarriage. I found the front park brake mount cable on the frame loose. Easy to just tighten.

Probably the question to ask the dealer is has the current Forest River Technical Service Bulletin been applied. It is a roof side radius cover inspection/repair that takes 12 man-hours. Do not want to have to bring it back to the shop before you get started.

Bottom line, we enjoy ours for the dollar investment. The 30DS has a good floor plan with the king bed that the mattress does not fold and the full couch sleeper if you expect guest. We are planning a trip now to Disneyworld for 7, so the space will be nice. I think you will enjoy it. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Good luck.
GT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #4

Well, we went and looked at a lightly used 2017 and a new 2018 model with a 10K$ price difference between the two units. Liked the layout in them so now we are figuring out where we stand with trade in value on a 2016 5th smaller 5th wheel, cash on hand and if we can finance the package. Sure do like them but may need to bump down to a class C.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #5

I have an FR3. And never again ..
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #6

Blackrock, I am with you. Coaches get expensive real fast. Really have to analyze the reason for the change since your TT is so new. We wanted the security of a coach and the freedom to move around and travel with family. We have had them all and the Class C's are really nice. Our decision for a Class A was based on not wanting to climb out of the cockpit of a Class C anymore and the Main bed in the DS30 was a King size that was useable while we travel or parked without opening a slide. Plus it was in our $ range and was able to work a reasonable deal on our F350 and Lance Slip-in Camper. It is preference and what works for you. Other considerations are that with a coach you may need to tow a vehicle which might be an additional cost and the gas mileage will sure be less. On the used 2017, I would have to ask why they have a used one to sell. Take your time and shop.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #7

2017 fr3 30ds

Having just walked our local annual RV show here in Austin last weekend, my wife and I concluded that the decision to buy a new 2016 FR3 30DS for $76K just under two years ago, was a good call.

Have we had issues with it, sure, mostly the living room slide, but also a few other minor things. We got these all knocked out in the first few weeks, and thankfully the last year has been trouble free. We've put about 14K miles on it, and really enjoyed it.

No question this is a lower end class A coach, but it was our first RV, and we just found all the class C's we drove to be too claustrophobic.

I've done some upgrades....sway bars, fantastic fans, satellite TV, but other than these, everything is just fine for us.

We'll upgrade somewhere down the line (wife wants washer/dryer ), but until then the FR3 will work just fine.
bmmarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:10 AM   #8

bmmarly, we fully agree and enjoy ours also. Wife also would like the washer/dryer option, but just completed a 65 day Alaskan trip and laundromat's worked ok. I did notice in the FR3 Mod thread that someone has added a washer/dryer in a 30DS in the right rear storage compartment. Possible future project. Take Care!
Old 02-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #9

You definitely want to add something like a Blue Ox Tru Trac to reduce the sway caused by the wind or semis on interstates. I would also recommend an extended warranty based on all the threads I've read.
anolefan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
H3N

We had a 2015 FR3 30ds which we just traded in on a Georgetown XL 369ds. We loved, LOVED our FR3 and only traded it in because we needed a washer/dryer. Like many folks we made some improvements on the FR3: china toilet, oxygenist (sp?) shower head, 3 fantastic fans w/roof covers, safe t plus steering stabilizer, and EMS. We performed all required maintenance, tightened loose screws and kept the door’s lock fully lubricated and thus happy. That’s it. Everything worked and we enjoyed every one of the 22,000 miles. What a great cottage on wheels!
But one trip to Newfoundland during moose hunting season in which a group of hunters brought in bloody/muscle/bone covered clothes right behind us while we were doing our laundry convinced us that we needed our own washer/dryer. Well, that and physical limitations
The FR3 was our first RV and clearly wasn’t our last. Good luck with whatever direction you take.
2016 Ford CMax Engeri plug in hybrid ďKona CarĒ (toad)

H3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3N View Post
We had a 2015 FR3 30ds which we just traded in on a Georgetown XL 369ds. We loved, LOVED our FR3 and only traded it in because we needed a washer/dryer. Like many folks we made some improvements on the FR3: china toilet, oxygenist (sp?) shower head, 3 fantastic fans w/roof covers, safe t plus steering stabilizer, and EMS. We performed all required maintenance, tightened loose screws and kept the doorís lock fully lubricated and thus happy. Thatís it. Everything worked and we enjoyed every one of the 22,000 miles. What a great cottage on wheels!
But one trip to Newfoundland during moose hunting season in which a group of hunters brought in bloody/muscle/bone covered clothes right behind us while we were doing our laundry convinced us that we needed our own washer/dryer. Well, that and physical limitations
The FR3 was our first RV and clearly wasnít our last. Good luck with whatever direction you take.

I'm a newfie! Hahaha
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #12

I had 2016 fr3 put 34,000 miles in two years coach performed great mechanically a few issues with normal things that go wrong with most motorhomes had to have the roof replaced for the money I think it was a good unit I did trade up to a legacy diesel pusher due to the mileage I put on it I do have to say that the drivetrain performed well
anthony mazziotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #13

My Vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
I have an FR3. And never again ..
I'll second that.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
My new 2018 FR3 30DS had a loose dash that bounced up and down. Also the cab AC didn't work. The dealer said the manufacter didn't epoxy the dash to the frame. On the AC I took it to the Ford dealer and it cost me $108 just to have them tell me it wasn't on their side. The dealer said the thermister on the house side was bad and replaced it. The overhead cabinets don't have hold opens so I am installing them. There are no ceiling fans so I had dealer install some in place of the vents. It does sway a bit when driving so I am having dealer install rear stabilizer.
Hope this helps.
Woody51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #15

Thank you everyone for your input. We just made a 800 mile 4 night trip with out 5th wheel and figure it will do us for a while yet.

Tags
fr3