Old 09-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #1

2017 FR3 32ds Check your Sway Bar Hook-up

Just got the beast out to wash and get it ready for the Texas Trip. After changing the oil and filter in the generator, I looked at the rear sway bar and it was completely UN-HOOKED from the axle. Only had one bolt and one bracket left. I had done the CHF about 5000 miles ago and DID use loctite on those bolts. Guess I should have backed out the front and rear U brackets and done those bolts also. Please take a minute and check the front and rear sway bars on your FR3. Parts ordered from FORD and will get those installed and LOCTITE them SUCKERS in this time.. Should handle a bit better after the parts are installed..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180924_114220.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	187427   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180924_114201.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	187428  

Orider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orider View Post
Just got the beast out to wash and get it ready for the Texas Trip. After changing the oil and filter in the generator, I looked at the rear sway bar and it was completely UN-HOOKED from the axle. Only had one bolt and one bracket left. I had done the CHF about 5000 miles ago and DID use loctite on those bolts. Guess I should have backed out the front and rear U brackets and done those bolts also. Please take a minute and check the front and rear sway bars on your FR3. Parts ordered from FORD and will get those installed and LOCTITE them SUCKERS in this time.. Should handle a bit better after the parts are installed..
Did you check to see if this is covered under you Ford 3yr/36k warranty?

Solar Power & Battle Born batteries thread
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:28 AM   #3

It is ALL covered by Ford, but there is not a Ford Truck plant close by that can handle this rig with a lift. I tried several Ford dealers and they would not do it.
Orider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #4

The exact same thing happened to our 2014 FR3, which turned out to be a 2012 Ford F 53 chassis, which was then subsequently covered under an official NHSTA recall for bolts that were too long for the sway bar brackets. Even if you used Loctite they would still come loose because you cannot tighten bolts to a high-enough torque setting for them to stay inside the captive threads attached to the frame.

Ford covered our repair under recall, your mileage may vary with a 2017 model year FR3.

Everyone who owns an FR3 needs to look at their sway bar mounting torque and replace the bolts with the shorter length bolts specified by ford in the recall.
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
It is ALL covered by Ford, but there is not a Ford Truck plant close by that can handle this rig with a lift. I tried several Ford dealers and they would not do it.
I donít have it handy but Ford has an 800 phone number for RV chassisís. They can direct you to a Ford dealer that has a large bay. My Ford car dealer can handle any RV up to 36.5 feet long.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Did you install the rear sway bar yourself and if so, was it a tedious job?
bootsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #7

Unfortunately sway bars have a tendency to work their way loose or simply break. It's just one of those things you have to keep in mind for periodic inspections.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:32 PM   #8

Same thing happened to me ! New bolt and loctite. I will check torque now before every trip !

Frameman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, fr3, sway