Old 03-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #1

2017 FR3 Roof

Just found out today from Brian Meeks <BMeeks@forestriverinc.com> and I quote, "The decking under that roof is no more than ľ inch thick. And because we donít recommend installing anything on the roof Iím afraid I donít have a method to suggest. If you have any more questions please feel free to let me know." This was in response to my question to him about best methods to install solar.

Now I am afraid to go on the roof at all. I am thinking I will lay 3/4 by 1 foot by 4 foot boards down for weight distribution if I need on. (like snowshoes)

Also looking at using semi-flexible solar panels and gluing them down directly. Does anyone have thoughts on doing this with a rubber roof?

smfranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #2

all because of this new roof design (17)?? that can't be. if so, that is a horrible oversight by FR. i've been on the roof of a 16 30DS and NEVER felt deflection or anything that would suggest possible structural overloading, grant it, stay off the roof as much as possible and yes try to distribute your weight over as much surface area as possible.

Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #3

can't be right...

installed a SK-1000 on my 2017 29DS. and did not have problems. assume the installer had to get up there...

b
bamagrad1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #4

The deck is a sandwich made up of a thin luan board (1/8" is my guess) on top of a framed roof with foam core. I'm 250lbs and its just fine. I've attached this document before, but this is the basic layout on a 30DS. This construction is pretty typical of RVs IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR3 30DS roof layout.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	131712  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #5

I Agree with Kansas. I took the factory tour last summer and watched the luan layers get glued to a bowed frame with many support rafters. Then foam. Unless the 2017/18 models were cost reduced the roof structure is pretty sound.

I am 220 and installed solar and Dish dome ( 2014 30DS) and never felt it buckle. I wouldn't dance up there but it should not be soft.

Now don't get me started about the vinyl coating roof material!
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #6

Thank you for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technorick View Post
....I am 220 and installed solar and Dish dome ( 2014 30DS) and never felt it buckle. I wouldn't dance up there but it should not be soft.

Now don't get me started about the vinyl coating roof material!
How did you install your solar (attach to roof) and are you happy with how it turned out?

smfranks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof