Old 08-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #1

2018 FR3

Good morning all. This is my first post as a new FR3 owner. My wife and I bought our 30DS in August 2017. Due to two back surgeries we were unable to use until this summer. We spent 30 days traveling the East Coast. Had an amazing time. I have been reading the posts on this model Rv and would like to add a few of my own concerns. We love the layout of this unit but as far as the build both from Forest River and Ford a lot needs to be desired. The V10 engine is a little under powered for this class A motor home. She struggles to keep the speed that you would like to cruise at. The slightest hill and you would immediately need to downshift to keep pace. When you come to a downhill the transmission downshifts to the point that the engine sounds like itís going to explode. We traveled during the heatwave that hit the East Coast and the Dash AC could not keep us cool upfront. We even tried to put a curtain across the cabin area to try to keep the cool air up front. The doghouse and the firewall got to temperatures of 180į. I found out that the AC unit is undersized for the cab. There is a lot of noise in the cabin that you need to spend some time trying to figure out where itís coming from and how to take care of it. The wind noise coming from the passenger window was due to the two slits closest to the outside mirror that I believe are drain vents for rain. I put tape over those two and the noise disappeared. As for the screen door I placed tape around the interior bottom portion because the kick panel just laid in the slots and rattled. Iíve had it in the shop twice for two recalls. The windshield motor shade and the roof needing to be resealed. We opted for the residential refrigerator with the double doors up and down. The high limit temperature switch activated halfway through our trip. Thankfully we were visiting a friend and was able to use their refrigerator to store our food until I fixed it. I called a service company and they told me to take a strong magnet and hold it over the switch until the red light went out and thankfully that worked. My hot water heater also went on the fritz but I believe that was my mistake as I forgot that my model uses both propane and electric and I left the electric on full-time. The motherboard eventually burned out. Luckily it was a cheap fix and there was a Camping World nearby for the part. We also had a problem with the living room slide. It would not move out. At first I thought it was the switch but it turned out that the wires going to the relay was stretched too tight when the unit was built and due to the constant shaking from the bumps in the road the contacts became loose. This was not easy to get to as the motor was not attached to the slide and you had to squeeze above the slide to get to them. Now talking about the suspension, when we decided on our model we had to order our motorhome and decide on some different options. I wish they gave you an option for a suspension upgrade. I would have chosen a spring set up like sumo rather than the leaf springs. Due to a sway issue I installed a chassis track bar in the rear. It made a ton of difference. Like I said we love the layout of the unit but to have to do a ton of upgrades adding power and torque and doing suspension we may be looking at a new motor home. We will be going to the Hershey Pennsylvania RV show this September. Hopefully we will see something or speak to someone about our FR3 and make a decision. If anyone has made any upgrades to their FR3 I would like to hear about them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9DD558DA-741A-4D22-A2FA-21F504A72C3B.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	485.6 KB
ID:	212260  
jkme00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3