Old 07-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
28DS Purchase Questions

First off, a big thank you to everyone that posts information on this forum. We have done a ton of research into MHs and this forum has been a huge help.

We are looking at purchasing a 2016 FR3 28DS. We really like the coach (we have been to a couple different dealers in central Ohio to look at them in person a few times) and it has everything we want. We were originally looking at used but the price difference is small compared to all the improvements they have made over the years. We plan to do a lot of dry camping (we go to a lot of dirt track and NASCAR races) with some campground trips when we have time.

A couple questions I was hoping for some feedback..

1) Did anyone purchase an extended warranty if the dealer offers? I see a lot of small problems on here that I think I can handle with all the info here. I just didn't know if anyone advises the extended warranty from their experience.
2) Is it worth haggling with a dealer to get some accessories installed instead of trying to knock a few bucks off? This will be our first RV purchased new and I wasn't sure how most dealers are. We stopped at a couple CWs and felt like we were just another warm body thru the door. So we are leaning towards a local smaller dealer.
3) We are upgrading from a 1989 28 ft Coachman C class (huge upgrade we know!). Looks like the opinions on driveability are mixed on here. Is there a huge difference in handling compared to an older c- class?

Any other advice for first time potential FR3 owners is greatly appreciated!! Also any other feedback in regards to the 28DS as well.

Looking forward to becoming FROGs 🐸

RaceChaser0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
A newer 2015 will have updates and improvements that our older FR3s did not. So you are already ahead of the game. Shop for models that already have for example
1 side opening TV in kitchen
2 exhaust fans not just crank opens
3 sliding shower doors

That will be an indication that it's a newer model. We (the forum) have been the beta testers and have taught the builders what works and doesn't. Make a list of the things you read about here and don't trust the dealer to check them
For you. Check them yourself ore delivery.

As for price, don't pay list. Dealers typically sell for 30% off sticker. Shop online and see the discounts offered. List prices of $110k typically sell for $80k.

The topic of extended warranty is too long to cover here. After reading pros and cons on many Rv forums its 50/50 and comes down to your comfort level.

Remember your chassis is ford warranted for 5 years and ford offers towing too that is subbed out to coach net. So if you were thinking of joining Good Sam just for towing you already get towing from your ford chassis warranty for 5 years or x miles.

Lastly. Once you take delivery make an appointment with your local ford truck dealer. Have them realign the front end. And adjust the headlights and check the rear brackets that hold the rear sway bar are secure.

Technorick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Good job Technorick. You covered just about everything.

Ask for discounts and price break and see where they go. Never hurts to ask.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote