Old 01-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #1

2nd AC unit install

I tried to add this to other "2nd AC unit" post, but I guess the forum has a limit of bringing up post that are older than 181 days.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just finished installing my xmas present, Atwood 15k unit with heat pump in the rear vent spot. Wasn't too bad. Only thing different than most previous installations was the addition of a 3 way light switch. Turning it ON, enabled the AC unit to run when on generator/30 amp power. Turning it OFF, enabled the external extension plug to be plugged into a separate 20 amp outlet, bypassing the power distribution panel. This will allow me to turn on the rear unit while driving down the road instead of the front AC unit if I choose. I have my doubts that it'll run the Dometic 15k unit and the Atwood 15k unit together. But for today, 62F out, it did. lol. Only a 100F+ day next summer will tell the truth. Anyways, just wanted to share the addition of the 3 way switch in case someone wants to add that mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rooftop AC.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	127830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior Rear AC.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	127831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical Bay.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	127832  

Old 02-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #2

KansasFR3 I am curious about the cover and thermostat I see. I am assuming that you did not connect into your ductwork. It appears this cover allows air to flow directly in the bedroom and the thermostat is mounted to the cover. Is this correct? If so is there a specific cover you had to order? I am considering this mod this summer. Also did you have any concerns about the roof supporting the AC in the vent location? Thanks.

yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #3

How do you find that Atwood unit to be as far as noise and power draw. Was told that they are quieter than the Domestic units and they draw less power.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #4

@yensidcamper, the interior cover that you see is a "non-ducted" ceiling kit. It has a fold down thermostat and a remote control. I originally wanted a ducted unit, but since the wife got this one as a present, there was no easy way to return the unit. The upper unit has a different part number depending if you choose a ducted or non-ducted unit since there is some difference within the electronic circuits.

Example (Non-Ducted):
15031 Upper AC unit (Black)
15021 Lower Ceiling trim

Example (Ducted):
15033 Upper AC Unit (Black)
15022 Lower Ceiling Trim

I find this place has the cheapest prices out there, though the wife used Dyers RV.
https://www.my12voltstore.com/Produc...15021&CartID=1

Wasn't too concerned about weight since I walk up there (250 lbs) and I was able to get a roof layout from FR showing the supports. It was a too bad of an install and glad its done. Also, to @ResQfrog point, So far, running both AC units together on a 80F day was like 22-23 amps from what I remember. That's obviously going to increase in 100F summer. So far, the Atwood was around 10 amps on high fan/max cool. But I expect it to be less than 13.9 amps stated later this summer. We'll see. I'm considering building a rack on the bumper to hold a Champion inverter 3100 generator that we have and having it all powder coated if I can't run both on the 4kw genset. And the current bumper is already showing signs of rust in Kansas!

As far as being quiet, the Atwood is about 51db on High, 45db on low, whereas the Dometic is 53db on High and 51db on Low. So its a little bit quieter on High, but quite a bit quieter on Low setting. I wonder how a ducted model would differ.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FR3 30DS roof layout.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	130669  
Old 02-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #5

Kansas got any pictures of where you ran ceiling wires to unit, and what did you have to do to roof vent hole to prep.
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The roof vent hole should be just a matter of removing the existing vent and installing the AC in it's place. The hardest part is removing the Dicor to acces the vent screws and getting the unit on the roof. Can't help with the wiring.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl17 View Post
Kansas got any pictures of where you ran ceiling wires to unit, and what did you have to do to roof vent hole to prep.
I originally had a MaxxFan installed with eternabond tape. So rather than pull up the old stuff, I just put down another layer to make it smooth after cutting out the roof vent. If you still have the factory vent, you can just unscrew it and remove the butyl tape and then install the AC directly on the roof membrane. There is a foam gasket on the bottom side of the AC unit that will compress once tightened down.

As far as running the wiring, I just cut through the ceiling foam to gain access to the duct work. Then ran the wiring through the ducting to the back wall. Drilled a hole through the ceiling to pick up the wire route that already exist behind the fascia boards. Once behind the drawers, I drilled a hole in the floor into the compartment below. It was interesting to see that the floor is a foam sandwich structure. Not just a sheet of OSB plywood. See attached pictures for some more details.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vent removed.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	130844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent Prep.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	130845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	130846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring2.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	130847  
Old 03-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #8

Got it Thanks
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:15 AM   #9

Thanks so much for the great information!
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #10

I'm confused about running the wiring through the ducting. I assume you mean along side the ducting and not through the ducting?

PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote