Old 04-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #41
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
...Oc Check your mail.TURBS
Checked and replied.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #42
Site Team - Lou

I would like to know what model water heater is "autosensing" the heat source used.

As far as I know, there is no model that does this.

The source of water heat (gas or electric) is USER selected, Gas, Electric, or BOTH. The two "sides" are independent and work alone.

If electric is selected "ON" and propane is selected "ON" both systems will be used concurrently to heat the water. EACH system has its OWN thermostat. They are "set" to the exact same temperature.

If you add cold water to a temperature stabilized tank, BOTH the electric and the propane turn on. This is a great way to use the water heater for faster recovery during showers when shore power is available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Wiring Diagrams.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	75329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat cover.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	75330   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130302_101325_zpsc8860eb7.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	75331   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC - Water heater thermostat.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	75332  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Yes it was a FR product. A 2011 Salem travel trailer. It was a Surburban WH. What model, I don't know.
If you're telling me you've not seen a WH that is propane/electric, I don't know what to tell you. Most have this type.
Yes, I have seen many Suburban combination propane/electric heating element models, as they have been on my travel trailers I have owned dating back to 2003. The operation of such is in the link I provided earlier on.

Suburban's electric switch and much more

I (as well as many others following this) just haven't seen (nor heard of) the model Suburban you are describing. This is what has our curiosity up, trying to learn something new...as in an autosensing model or one with the slide switch you describe.

I always try to post anything new or the owner/operation manuals in our library here on the forums. I just have never seen this in any of the previous Suburban manuals so far.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:06 PM   #44

You folks are correct; I was wrong. I have a Suburban SW6 DE water heater in my 2015 FR3 30DS. I found the outside switch, it was in the "ON" position, so when I connected to shore power it ran on both gas and electric. When I disconnected from power and with the generator off it ran on propane only. It wasn't auto-sensing, it just appeared that way to me.

I certainly want to thank all the folks that provided input to this post. I don't believe I would have checked it out otherwise. I didn't even realize that outside switch was there.

I boondock a lot, so it isn't unusual to run pretty low on water. I turned that outside switch to the "OFF" position so that i don't accidentally destroy the element.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:18 AM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Kicker View Post
You folks are correct; I was wrong. I have a Suburban SW6 DE water heater in my 2015 FR3 30DS. I found the outside switch, it was in the "ON" position, so when I connected to shore power it ran on both gas and electric. When I disconnected from power and with the generator off it ran on propane only. It wasn't auto-sensing, it just appeared that way to me.

I certainly want to thank all the folks that provided input to this post. I don't believe I would have checked it out otherwise. I didn't even realize that outside switch was there.

I boondock a lot, so it isn't unusual to run pretty low on water. I turned that outside switch to the "OFF" position so that i don't accidentally destroy the element.
This is what I was afraid was happening. I am so glad you got it figured out before the electric element was destroyed.

The Suburban water heater (with the outside electric element switch) is one of the more confusing items, and often overlooked in PDI's.

Suburban's electric switch and much more

I also want to thank you for posting the model number of the Suburban water heater you have. That let's us know what is currently in the FR3 DS, for future reference and recommendations to the operation of.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:09 AM   #46
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not the water heater that we've not heard of but the way you describe the automatic control switching from propane to 110v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Kicker View Post

Unless drivmsafe has some new type of WH, I'm assuming he made the same mistake.
The only auto changeover in RVs I know about, is on the fridge and the propane tanks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Unless drivmsafe has some new type of WH, I'm assuming he made the same mistake.
The only auto changeover in RVs I know about, is on the fridge and the propane tanks.
Totally spitballing here, but I am wondering if perhaps an aftermarket electric heating element was added to a propane only water heater...... like a hott rod or lightning rod.

Let me do some research and see if the controls for any of these add-ons may have the slider switch drivmsafe is describing.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #48

I love discovering things about my coach. So this weekend using full hookup, I had the best hot shower using the city water inlet. So why isn't the water the same temp when using the water from the holding tanks. I must be missing something.

AngioTech55 2015 FR3 25DS
Old 05-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #49
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngioTech55 View Post
I love discovering things about my coach. So this weekend using full hookup, I had the best hot shower using the city water inlet. So why isn't the water the same temp when using the water from the holding tanks. I must be missing something.

AngioTech55 2015 FR3 25DS
Hmmm. Shouldn't have any effect.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #50

I guess I will just have to contact the factory. I must have a defective thermostat. My hot water will not stay hot and that's the only thing I can think of.

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater