Old 07-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #1

30DS Pocket Door?

We just picked up a new to us 2014 30DS last week and had our first trip out this week. My question revolves around the pocket door that closes off the bathroom for privacy. My door has a latch/catch to hold it closed, is my picture factory or was this added by the previous owner?

If it's factory in my mind it makes zero sense in it's operation, the finger cutout is hidden until you open the door, you have to grab the little catch piece (which for a small child is practically useless) once open there is no part on the opposing wall to fasten the door for privacy?

I'm thinking I could move the latch/catch part to the door and the other part to the frame (opposite of picture) and then find a mating catch part for the opposing wall to use what I have already. Or, totally do it the way it's suppose to be with a recessed latch on the door which would come out and offer a way to pull the door open and then on the mating wall mount a "barn door" style lock to add privacy or a catch that could be opened from either side like a magnet catch so a child could not lock themselves in?

Any thoughts on this?

I traded a 2000 28' Tiffin Allegro in on the 2014 FR3 (we need more room for the grand-kids/parents to sleep) and find somethings I had on the Tiffin lacking on this newer rig and I would like to add IE a way to close off the main bedroom other than opening the bathroom door. Planning on adding a pleated folding door for privacy in the bedroom. It's not a very wide opening to do this though.

After my first trip out I am pleased with my trade/purchase but some things are going to need to be upgraded/added to our liking . . . I really enjoy the MOD thread gave me so many ideas!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door latch.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	145612  

brucepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #2

They mechanism on my 16 30DS is different. But I agree on the bedroom door issue. I was thinking of doing a sliding door. I'm think of having it slide towards the shower. It should allow for a big enough door I think. I was going to see if I could just order a pocket door in the right color then get some barn door hardware style mount.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #3

30DS Pocket Door?

I may be stating what you already know, and if so I'm sorry. The latch is intended to store the door open while driving. Yes on 2014 models it's factory and yes they should have provided another half latch on the switch panel wall side to lock it closed. I've never seen one in any of the hardware stores so I added a hook and eye. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1500848661.224977.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	145836

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1500848710.354396.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	145837Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1500848757.371779.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	145838

Is. My door latch locked open with about 2 inches of grab space. Enough to reach the recessed finger cup.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #4

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1500848948.239512.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	145843. Better pic.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the pics! See now that application of the lock makes sense for holding the door open as you can also gain access to the finger cutout.

So my setup was moved from the original location more than likely I will assume.

I'm going to look into some other options and I'll report back once I make something else work. I (well my wife) has a few other projects that need to be done before this door (like shelves in the cabinets). The door is only an issue when we have little guests which is only a few times a year for the most part it's just her and I.

As a side-note; I'm getting some great ideas from all the previous posts people have made on their FR3's! I liken the FR3 as a "Class A starter kit" to be modified by the end-user to fit their individual needs
Old 07-24-2017, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepts View Post
We just picked up a new to us 2014 30DS last week and had our first trip out this week. My question revolves around the pocket door that closes off the bathroom for privacy. My door has a latch/catch to hold it closed, is my picture factory or was this added by the previous owner?

If it's factory in my mind it makes zero sense in it's operation, the finger cutout is hidden until you open the door, you have to grab the little catch piece (which for a small child is practically useless) once open there is no part on the opposing wall to fasten the door for privacy?

I'm thinking I could move the latch/catch part to the door and the other part to the frame (opposite of picture) and then find a mating catch part for the opposing wall to use what I have already. Or, totally do it the way it's suppose to be with a recessed latch on the door which would come out and offer a way to pull the door open and then on the mating wall mount a "barn door" style lock to add privacy or a catch that could be opened from either side like a magnet catch so a child could not lock themselves in?

Any thoughts on this?

I traded a 2000 28' Tiffin Allegro in on the 2014 FR3 (we need more room for the grand-kids/parents to sleep) and find somethings I had on the Tiffin lacking on this newer rig and I would like to add IE a way to close off the main bedroom other than opening the bathroom door. Planning on adding a pleated folding door for privacy in the bedroom. It's not a very wide opening to do this though.

After my first trip out I am pleased with my trade/purchase but some things are going to need to be upgraded/added to our liking . . . I really enjoy the MOD thread gave me so many ideas!!!!!!

Name:	IMG_2259.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	145938Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2260.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	145939Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2261.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	145940Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2262.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	145941
Here's what came on my 2015 30DS. Works great!
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisurelarry View Post
Attachment 145938Attachment 145939Attachment 145940Attachment 145941
Here's what came on my 2015 30DS. Works great!
That's what my 16 has too. It's just being worked on, again... So I couldn't get pictures.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #8

Thanks for the pics, looks like they are making production changes along the way.

Probably going to be a Winter project and just deal with what I got for the rest of our RV season.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #9

What bathroom vent cover did you use?

Tags
door