Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #1

5 star tuning

has anyone installed the 5 star tuners on their FR 3???? thinking about investing in one to control early downshifting and to -hopefully- get slightly better fuel economy.
Lfrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

I'm looking into that myself. The shift strategy from the factory is lame. 5star's website has some confusing language that just does not sound right. From everything else I read, you are not going to get much out of the engine but the trans correction is worth it. Please let us know what you find...
Old 08-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #3

I would also be interested in anything that would stop our FR3 from downshifting just to go over an overpass while traveling on a level road. It's ridiculous how quick it is to downshift for no good reason!
vacationlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:23 AM   #4

Think you are right , not much for the engine but would help with shift pattern. Read several letters from buyer that really liked it, but got best use out of it for shift patterns.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:30 AM   #5

if you find out any more on it , please let me know also. Seems high priced, just to be able to leave the cruise control on. Looks like about all it does is what your foot can do with the gas pedal , with cruise control off. Looks to me what it does is just to keep the cruise control form downshifting so soon. Think might be something the factory (ford) could do with a reprogram for the factory computer.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Lfrazee,
I agree with your assessment. I have been "foot shifting" to compensate for the poor programming. My problem is that it is physically difficult to do. On the + side, my fuel econ. is up over 8 average and the noise level is down as well.

I was remiss in my earlier post as I forgot to copy this link for an alternative to 5 Star...
Programmer SCORCHER Tuner; Ford GasÂ*Vehicles 99-14 V6/V8/V10 77-43006 - aFe Power
They are $345 on Amazon & Carid, $303.60 at raceconsultingagency but their website is non-functional.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #7

I installed the 5-Star Tune at the beginning of Summer in my 2015 FR3 30DS.

There a lots of hills around here and my objective was to be able to leave the cruise control on without that horrible downshift for very slight inclines.

I can confirm that it works very well. The downshifts make sense and actually makes use of fourth gear. I use CC a lot more now.

What I have noticed though is that I have to push on the pedal more to achieve a downshift or maintain speed when not using the cruise control. It takes a bit of getting used to because it's almost like having a dead pedal when approaching a hill. Once you get used to it, it does work very well.

I regularly travel a road with a lot of rolling hills. The shifts are much more pleasant with uphill runs typically being in fourth and rarely in third gear. They used to make the engine sound like it wanted to come through the doghouse. I can push on the pedal, get just one downshift and actually pick up speed on most hills when not on CC, so there is a slight power difference at around 2000 rpm.

I did notice a mileage increase, but it isn't substantial. Mostly because I can use CC on the freeways around here that have gradual inclines. Used to be that I had to use my foot to get it to stay in CC.

I would say that you can achieve the same thing with intelligent foot control, but I really enjoy not having my foot on the pedal all the time when driving.

I can truthfully say that I would do it again.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #8

Thanks guys for then information may have to check out the other two tuners wish someone would come forward that has used them
Old 09-02-2015, 06:22 AM   #9

Using the 5 Star tuner and programming on our 2013 Coachmen Pursuit and found the drive to be much smoother. 5 Star does not make the tuner, they program the download on it. We have 9000 miles on our unit so far. Two trips to FL one with and one with out the tuner. Found the shifting to be better and the sudden down shifts to be much less with the tuner. Mileage was about the same. Also have to trips to Goshen, IN for the FROG Rally one with and one without. Again the drive was more enjoyable with the tuner. Go to Irv2 forum's and watch for a group buy. That's what I did. Saved a few dollars. You can also find more information on the 5 Star tuner there.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote