Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #1

A/C leaking FR3

Anyone here have issues with A/C leaking in the MH....had it checked out 3 weeks ago, and they said that they ran it all day and it didn't leak.....I run it for 4 hours and I have a flood....how do you add a video?

Rita
RDANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #2

Clean the ac filter, then report back to us if it is still leaking
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:16 PM   #3

Yep. Most likely 'sucking' in condensation. I always keep the filter clean and run on medium to prevent this.
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #4

a/c

Cleaned the filter before we started it up.....ran it at 74 on Medium.....leaked 15 minutes again after I started it up..
Old 08-31-2018, 03:00 PM   #5

Have you checked to make sure your drain holes are not clogged and causing the water to drain into the camper instead of off the roof?
Old 08-31-2018, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDANGER View Post
Cleaned the filter before we started it up.....ran it at 74 on Medium.....leaked 15 minutes again after I started it up..
Mmm. Perhaps condensation coming back in from under the seal? Take off ceiling cover and give all 4 bolts a full turn or 2. I did this as well

Could also be cracked or damaged styrofoam 'drainpan'?
Old 09-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #7

Make sure the coach is level I am told everything a/c doors refrigerator roof drains all are built around the coach being level
frankie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:53 AM   #8

If you are referring to it leaking when it's not raining, here is a post from the FRS Face Book page. Great Page and info!

For those of you with an FR3, any model, that have a problem with the AC unit dripping water... I sent an email to Attwood/Dometic AC folks and this is what I got back one hour. Send an email to their support Center, from their web site, and ask for part # 3315930.010. It is a new inside cover and filter that will stop the leaking and make the air much colder. I sent that email today, and when I responded to say thanks, I was told the parts would be sent to my house on Monday. Just tell them what yo have and that it drips, and you can also get one or 2 sent out to you. There will be an additional part that they will send out to cover up the screws, in about 4 weeks they said. Some folks got those replaced at the FROG rally in Goshen this week. I found out about this too late for the techs to do it. Good Luck...
This is the FaceBook Page,
Forest River FR3 Class A Motorhome Owners Group
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:58 AM   #9

thank you for the info....could you please send me an email address for Dometic??

Rita
Old 09-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #10

The best way to connect with Dometic is to go their web site. Dometic.com and scroll down to contact then. There is a quick for to fill out with your info and what you are contacting them about. They are very quick to return messages.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortMi View Post
If you are referring to it leaking when it's not raining, here is a post from the FRS Face Book page. Great Page and info!

For those of you with an FR3, any model, that have a problem with the AC unit dripping water... I sent an email to Attwood/Dometic AC folks and this is what I got back one hour. Send an email to their support Center, from their web site, and ask for part # 3315930.010. It is a new inside cover and filter that will stop the leaking and make the air much colder. I sent that email today, and when I responded to say thanks, I was told the parts would be sent to my house on Monday. Just tell them what yo have and that it drips, and you can also get one or 2 sent out to you. There will be an additional part that they will send out to cover up the screws, in about 4 weeks they said. Some folks got those replaced at the FROG rally in Goshen this week. I found out about this too late for the techs to do it. Good Luck...
This is the FaceBook Page,
Forest River FR3 Class A Motorhome Owners Group
WOW, I emailed their site and they responded and sent the part (no cost to me) in 3 days. Great customer service!
The only problem is there are no instructions on how to install it. It says to use tech but that isn't possible for a few months. I hope I can figure this out. Does anyone have a clue? I wish there was a video. Thanx in advance. Happy FR3 travels.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMPDK View Post
WOW, I emailed their site and they responded and sent the part (no cost to me) in 3 days. Great customer service!
The only problem is there are no instructions on how to install it. It says to use tech but that isn't possible for a few months. I hope I can figure this out. Does anyone have a clue? I wish there was a video. Thanx in advance. Happy FR3 travels.
Email them back and ask for install instructions.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Email them back and ask for install instructions.
Thanx for the replay. That is what I did. I ask for a PDF if possible. If I get one I will post it for others.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMPDK View Post
Thanx for the replay. That is what I did. I ask for a PDF if possible. If I get one I will post it for others.

Any luck with the instructions?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #15

I just installed it myself. I'll do a write up asap, it was easy
Old 10-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRv View Post
I just installed it myself. I'll do a write up asap, it was easy

I would like to see your write up also

Kentucky Bob
Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #17

Hi All,
Update on the install.

I contacted Dometic and requested 2 of the part # 3315930.010.
customersupportcenter@dometic.com

The items were sent out right away along with an email that they are working on a trim piece because this one is a bit smaller than the original.

Install...
Removed 6 screw covers and square nut screws from old vent cover and it pops off.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1144.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	189540

Used 13mm ratchet, then after a few turns, a screw gun to remove the 4 long bolts securing the black plastic cover.

Name:	IMG_1137.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	189541Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1145.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	189542

After inspection I built up some of the foil, about 1 1/2 inches where the new vent will contact the left and right sides of the wall. This would be to prevent air from slipping by.

Name:	IMG_1148.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	189543

Attached the long angled baffle to the short one on the main bracket. The tape is on the short one, peeled it and stuck it on.

Name:	IMG_1147.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	189546

Placed up large opening forward and reinstalled the 4 long bolts that attach to the upper unit. My understanding is there should only be 5-7 lbs of torque since you do not want to over compress the foam gasket. This also lets you tighten as the years go by and the gasket naturally compresses.

This is where I am not sure if the white insulation goes on the front or the back of the baffle. I cut and placed on the front side because there is a bit extra on each side which I felt would help hold everything in place.Attachment 1Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1141.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	189547

Pop out the filter and vent from new cover carefully with a flat head screwdriver.

Name:	IMG_1150.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	189548

Place with large opening forward and screw into place with supplies square head screws.

Name:	IMG_1151.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	189549

I did use 4 of the original screws to secure the vent to the ceiling. I am not sure this was needed.

Snapped in the filter and vent.

It does seem like a larger flow of air with the vent open and with a larger intake I hope it will address the issue of the air pressure holding the condensation water in and not preventing it to drain.

I can not test if it has fixed the issue since it has dropped into the 30’s in New Jersey.

Waiting for the trim piece that they will be sending to cover the 6 holes.

Hope this helps!

Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	189544  
Old 10-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #18

GREAT WRITE UP
Thanks for putting this together.

One question though. What trim piece for covering what 6 holes ?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 10-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #19

What is the part number for the trim piece ?

Bob
Old 10-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #20

The company said when they are designing the trim piece and sending them out to everyone who received the kit. You can see them here.

Name:	IMG_1143.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	189559
The original six holes from the old cover will be visible since the new one is smaller.
Ken

Tags
fr3, leak