Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2018, 11:25 PM   #1

A/C Water leaking out of inside vents.

Both of my Atwood a/c units are dripping water out of return vents Has anyone had this issue? 2018 FR3 DS.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2158.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	163559Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2162.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	497.1 KB
ID:	163560
GM_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:34 AM   #2
AD2

Yes, mine also. Cleaned the removable plastic air filter and that helped. I have checked inside and out and cannot find a leak. Only happens when the fan is on high and filter has some restriction.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #3

Yes.

Happens to me too. Installed brand new unit, still going on. Indeed restricted airflow and fan on high, the fan will suction the condensation out of the styrofoam drain gutter, that normally funnels the condensation outside and onto the roof. Trying to pitch the rooftop unit with the front slightly higher than the rear will help. Calibrating your Lippert leveling system in a way that the entire bus is slightly pitched towards the back will have the same effect.

In other words, these Atwood units suck.
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRv View Post
Yes.

Happens to me too. Installed brand new unit, still going on. Indeed restricted airflow and fan on high, the fan will suction the condensation out of the styrofoam drain gutter, that normally funnels the condensation outside and onto the roof. Trying to pitch the rooftop unit with the front slightly higher than the rear will help. Calibrating your Lippert leveling system in a way that the entire bus is slightly pitched towards the back will have the same effect.

In other words, these Atwood units suck.

I agree they suck! I'll give that a try and see if that helps. Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD2 View Post
Yes, mine also. Cleaned the removable plastic air filter and that helped. I have checked inside and out and cannot find a leak. Only happens when the fan is on high and filter has some restriction.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #6

Roof drains are blocked. Drain pans are overflowing. Remove covers and look for blockage.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #7
Isata-3 FW

First Action

First remove and clean the air filter. That’s most often the problem.
After that...good luck.
Jack McCord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #8

AC leak

On my Coleman ac , ( when you remove the inside cover)the long screws that hold the ac to the roof were slightly loose. A few more turns stopped my leak. I believe you don't want to over tighten.
jimsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #9

Same problem

It turned out to be three things. The ducts can get squeezed. This will not let air flow well on high. The second problem was a cardboard block or shield needed taping to keep warm air from mixing with the cold. The final issue was a sensor to turn AC on and off was miss located. Unit would freeze up then as ice melted it leaked. Three years getting it to stop. Good luck with yours.
dwa1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
Isata-3 FW

Wow!

You were lucky to find and correct all that. Thanks for sharing a happy ending.
Jack McCord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa1000 View Post
It turned out to be three things. The ducts can get squeezed. This will not let air flow well on high. The second problem was a cardboard block or shield needed taping to keep warm air from mixing with the cold. The final issue was a sensor to turn AC on and off was miss located. Unit would freeze up then as ice melted it leaked. Three years getting it to stop. Good luck with yours.
Ducts on ours are wide open. Not really duct, but rather channels cut out of the Styrofoam insulation.

The Atwoods in FR3's are really sucking condensation back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Roof drains are blocked. Drain pans are overflowing. Remove covers and look for blockage.
No blockage...
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:38 PM   #12

The problem is the installers broke the styrofoam condensate pan. it cant be repaired .The ac's will need to be replaced. to prove this out, remove the 6 screws holding the plastic cover to the ceiling . you will see a large sign telling installer to keep hands out of the return air plenum. look at the styrofoam pan and i bet you will see a big chunk of the side wall of the styrofoam missing. the pan is not a replaceable part and the complete ac has to be replaced. if you can look up some of my previous post, you will see pictures i posted of the busted condensate pan.
Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:17 PM   #13

Thanks ! I’ll pull the cover and check. I’ll let you know what I find.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #14

I took off the cover and tightened four bolts that secure the airconditioner...stopped my leak
lazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Bob View Post
look at the styrofoam pan and i bet you will see a big chunk of the side wall of the styrofoam missing. the pan is not a replaceable part and the complete ac has to be replaced. if you can look up some of my previous post, you will see pictures i posted of the busted condensate pan.

I have repaired a similar Styrofoam part on a window AC unit at my home. If one can gain access, use the non-expanding "Good Stuff" foam in a can. Depending on access, build a backing "form" with Duct Tape across back of break or missing section. Then carefully build up a layer of foam in the gap. Work on getting first pass/layer in back of gap and let cure. Finish with subsequent layers on top until patch is complete. Remove excess with serrated steak knife if necessary.

The Non-Expanding foam for use around windows and doors is the stuff to use. Cures a creamy white. The expanding foam used for insulating large areas expands into areas you don't want it. This stuff usually cures with an orange/brown color.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #16

Mine was doing the exact same thing. Took outside cover off 10 times. No blockage. Had 2 techs look at it they couldn't find anything. I finally cut out two small portions of the filter to let in more air. So far no more problems.
AllenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #17

It seems to be a normal occurrence as it happens to me as well especially on humid days. I tightened the bolts holding the unit and blah blah. Nothing worked except a pan under the drips.
Seriously, when it happens, turning the unit on high for a while cuts down the leaking but it’s been a common complaint by a lot of people.
Edmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #18

We had the same problem again this week; high temps and high humidity outside and water dripping from the AC vent/filter area. What I have found to work is cleaning the filter and periodically running the AC in "Dry Mode" per the Atwood Manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Atwood Rooftop AC Ducted AC-1361 AC-1511.pdf (1.36 MB, 98 views)

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5 w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 70, 2020 - 32, 2021 - 16
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #19

Thanks for the info. I’ll give that a try! I’ve owned several rv’s and never had issues . We live in Louisiana where we always have high humid conditions . Thanks

Tags
leak, vent, water, water leak