Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill16 View Post
I thanked Fonzie, but I would prefer a location on my way back East because of time constraints. I am presently in Williams Lake heading to Stuie and then back home. Have to get the grandkid back in time for school.

Bill
Are you north or south bound in Wns Lake and where is Stuie?? I know BC well but not thus place.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:12 AM   #22

Stuie, BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
Are you north or south bound in Wns Lake and where is Stuie?? I know BC well but not thus place.
In another life and many, many years ago, I lived for a few years in Bella Coola, BC. Stuie is East of Bella Coola on Hwy. 20 in Tweedsmuir Provincial Park and is close to the bottom of "THE HILL". Hwy. 20 runs between Williams Lake and Bella Coola. The road crosses the Chilcotin Plateau and eventually descends down a very steep hill with numerous switchbacks into the Bella Coola Valley. It is one of the most scenic drives in British Columbia. However, those attempting it should be warned that there still an unpaved section between Anahim Lake and the bottom of the infamous "HILL". Best time to travel is during the Fall especially through the colourful Chilcotin. There is a Lodge at Stuie and to give you a small taste of the area here is the link to it; Tweedsmuir Park Lodge | Where Luxury and Wilderness Meet

Here is another link showing Bella Coola; https://bellacoola.ca/about/image-gallery/ If you scroll down through the image gallery there is one of "The Hill".

Enjoy......
kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #23
2020 Bershire 34QS

An UPDATE

Thanks for all the comments. Firstly, we survived the "Hill" into Stuie/Bella Coola. I left the FR3 in Williams Lake and took the car.

Now, for the slide issue. I did as someone suggested and contacted Forest River. After a bit someone returned my call and suggested I could stop by ElkHart to get it fixed. That was until I gave him my vin number and he found out I wasn't under warranty and then he blew me off, essentially saying, go to a dealer and get it fixed. After having paid Chemo the alleged RV repairman $100 to tell me the motor was bad and he couldn't fix it, I decided to limp back to the US with the slide stuck in.

Now I'm in Mitchell SD and today the bedroom slide motor just crapped out. The same issue: it grinds gears and will not go out, but I think I can get it in.

It's been a miserable trip with all the problems including the outside door lock hardware in the door falling out and now sometimes I cannot get the door open without great force, or I have to pull the handle out a little to get it to close. Plus, the TV antenna fell off when I hit a bump; the window pull on the kitchen window fell off; assorted pieces of molding are falling off and one time I overfilled the fresh water tank and then went to dry camp. When I arrived at the camping site the tank was empty. Brought it to a repair shop and the tech said the overflow pipe siphoned the tank because it was installed to low. Not a good sign for a 15 month old unit.

My wife and I are considering what to do next. She wants to abandon the FR3 and go purchase a Winnebago. I'm not there yet, but I'm questioning my decision to buy this thing. Unfortunately, I made the decision based upon the fact that Forest River is a Berkshire Hathaway Company and not the product. For those considering buying an FR3, run the hell out of it for the first 12 months. Open and close the slides several times a day. Put as many miles on it as you can before the warranty runs out and don't do like I did and bring it in for each warranty issue. Wait until you accumulate several, otherwise the dealer will keep you waiting every time they order a part. During my 12 month warranty, the FR3 was in the shop for 4 months.

Bill

PS: If I do trade it for a Winnebago, should I have the problems fixed or trade as is?
MrBill16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:19 PM   #24

No doubt in my mind that you will get more if everything works like it should.

Any dealer will knock off the parts and labor to repair and perhaps a little more.

What you need to do is figure is it worth the cost to you.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #25

Really sorry for your troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill16 View Post
An UPDATE

Thanks for all the comments. Firstly, we survived the "Hill" into Stuie/Bella Coola. I left the FR3 in Williams Lake and took the car.

Now, for the slide issue. I did as someone suggested and contacted Forest River. After a bit someone returned my call and suggested I could stop by ElkHart to get it fixed. That was until I gave him my vin number and he found out I wasn't under warranty and then he blew me off, essentially saying, go to a dealer and get it fixed. After having paid Chemo the alleged RV repairman $100 to tell me the motor was bad and he couldn't fix it, I decided to limp back to the US with the slide stuck in.

Now I'm in Mitchell SD and today the bedroom slide motor just crapped out. The same issue: it grinds gears and will not go out, but I think I can get it in.

It's been a miserable trip with all the problems including the outside door lock hardware in the door falling out and now sometimes I cannot get the door open without great force, or I have to pull the handle out a little to get it to close. Plus, the TV antenna fell off when I hit a bump; the window pull on the kitchen window fell off; assorted pieces of molding are falling off and one time I overfilled the fresh water tank and then went to dry camp. When I arrived at the camping site the tank was empty. Brought it to a repair shop and the tech said the overflow pipe siphoned the tank because it was installed to low. Not a good sign for a 15 month old unit.

My wife and I are considering what to do next. She wants to abandon the FR3 and go purchase a Winnebago. I'm not there yet, but I'm questioning my decision to buy this thing. Unfortunately, I made the decision based upon the fact that Forest River is a Berkshire Hathaway Company and not the product. For those considering buying an FR3, run the hell out of it for the first 12 months. Open and close the slides several times a day. Put as many miles on it as you can before the warranty runs out and don't do like I did and bring it in for each warranty issue. Wait until you accumulate several, otherwise the dealer will keep you waiting every time they order a part. During my 12 month warranty, the FR3 was in the shop for 4 months.

Bill

PS: If I do trade it for a Winnebago, should I have the problems fixed or trade as is?
I have been following your (mis)adventure and it is sad and maddening at the same time. You should not have to deal with this sort of unreliability with a nearly new motorhome. I expect some on here will tell you it's part of the adventure of owning an RV. That's certainly one view but it's not the part I enjoy. Others will tell you to just take it to Goshen. That's fine if you have the time and get a slot - but it fills up so quickly (I wonder why). Lot's of folks wanting to get their broken RV's fixed for free. Not my style.

If I ever own another RV, it won't be FR and it won't be brand new. Too many quality issues with most brands (supposedly) and too much depreciation the first year or so.

Hope you enjoyed the Corn Palace in Mitchell. Interesting place. Did you stop at Wall Drugs on the way? Safe trip home and good luck getting your issues resolved.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #26

Had this happen to my bedroom slide on my FR3 2014 30DS

google search P22307 motor

Usally can find them on Ebay or other classified adds for $125.

I bought 2.....one fore the broken unit and one to carry just in case. Havent needed the 2nd unit.

Takes 1-2 hours to swap out. First time will be hardest. Figuring out what all and how you remove the interior parts of the cabints/trim to access the motor. This is also access to tension the cables which you need to do eventually.

Dont get too stressed out. Also you can push the slides in/out usually just a part of the gear breaks. With some help they can still be used.
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:53 PM   #27
2020 Bershire 34QS

The final Chapter

Sorry I didn't close this off earlier, but I wanted to wait and see if the slides would break again.

Forest River came through. Upon our return to home base, I received an email from the Company telling me to go to the dealer and have the issues fixed. Lo and behold, all is working now. It did take the dealer 3 months to do the work, but FR paid for it all, even though out of warranty. BTW, I no longer use the selling dealer for service.

This year we traveled to Goshen for the FROG rally and had the headlights changed. Other than that I've had no new issues. While on the factory tour, we found out that FR got a bad batch of slide motors a year or so back. They replaced them in their inventory and onsite units, but didn't know which sold units had the bad motors. Guess we were one of them. The wife is happy again and was greatly impressed by the service provided by FR at the rally. I'm happy too!

We're now looking to move into either a Berkshire or Legacy DP. Isn't it amazing how some good customer service pays off.

Thank you Forest River for fixing my coach.
MrBill16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:11 PM   #28

Great Update. Yeah it seems the slide system needs o be adjusted some point after you buy and star using it. Both of mine evenually broke...due to human errors....but ive since been able to replaceall and get it working right

I will say he bedroom small slide you can usually push in/out. The bigger slides weigh a lot more. I couldnt move the main slide on mine but could the bedroom.

Anyways a great resolution to the problem.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Fraserway RV Centre
747 Cliveden Place
Delta, BC V3M 6C7
604-850-1976

RV For Sale Canada - Dealers, Dealerships Parts & Accessories

Fraserway RV Centre
30440 S. Fraserway
Abbotsford, BC V2T 6L4