Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #1

AC Breaker re wire question

We are continuing to have the ac trip and have been using a fan to keep the breaker cooled....helps some but we need to do the re wire

I am away from my rv and have a few questions.

Re: 15 30ds. I know I have the 30/20 shared.

To move the acdo I have an open slot to use and then need a new 20 amp breaker ? Essentially leaving the 20 open on the dual breaker?

Any link to what I need so I can buy and take with me to fix?

Thanks folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
antilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #2

Interesting. Why is the breaker getting hot?? Is something overloading it?

Yes, it is possible to change breakers and or move loads. But if you have an overload, changing the breaker will not solve the overload
Old 07-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Have you turned off all the other breakers to see what the amp draw on that one is?

Have you checked the wiring for loose connection(s)?
Old 07-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #4

Haven't checked the load or quality of connections....the main and 20 have tripped probably 20 times so I want a new breaker and to check the draw once moved.

Trips on generator or shore power so I expect to find a loose connection.

Just curious if there is a blank spot to move the one too. And i have read moving it has solved others problems.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #5

So I have my breaker box open right now for this same issue. There is about 3 slot from what I remember available than what is currently there. I ended up getting another Square D 20/20 HOMT circuit breaker from Lowes to move the AC onto. Once the cover is removed, snap in your new breaker on the end and move the wire over to that circuit. Then you should be good.

Shop Square D Homeline 20-Amp 1-Pole Tandem Circuit Breaker at Lowes.com
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #6

We experienced repeated A/C breaker tripping last summer. We made sure the water heater electric switch was OFF, and we put the fridge on propane. That helped.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:54 AM   #7

Many years ago, when I was upgrading the converter in my ole Toyhouse, I also added a couple breakers to the AC portion of the panel so I could split off a couple of the loads that were on one breaker.

I have no idea what your panel looks like, but this may give you some ideas.

Scroll down to post # 5 .

12 Volt Converter Upgrade - Electrical - Toyota Motorhome Discussion Board

Old 07-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #8

Some pictures and detailed information on how to do this beaker task sure wood be most helpful.
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #9

Make sure your disconnected from shore power/Gen is off.
Just remove the cover.
Install new 20/20 tandem breaker. It just sits on the bottom rail at a 45 degree angle, then push in on the top until is snaps into place.
Move the black wire from the old 20 amp pole (mine was for the AC unit) over to the new CB.
On the breaker cover, you can snap out the new circuit breaker spot that your going to use. Reinstall cover and your good to go.

You'll notice there is one more free spot to use if needed in the future. And actually, there is only 2 free slots prior to this install, FYI. Very simple task. Just sucks laying down on the floor under the foot of the bed. Then again, ours is a California King foam mattress, so it sticks out a little more than normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit Breaker.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	114742  
Old 07-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #10

Thanks everyone!!!! I have it moved and wished I would have done it a long time ago..... I will let you know if it helps. We are also having generator issues when driving in the heat so going to try the fuel pump replacement and to insulate the line.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by antilley View Post
Thanks everyone!!!! I have it moved and wished I would have done it a long time ago..... I will let you know if it helps. We are also having generator issues when driving in the heat so going to try the fuel pump replacement and to insulate the line.

Good deal. Just did mine a couple days ago, so hopefully it works out. On the fuel pump, I'll be creating a new post probably this weekend. I installed a secondary fuel pump on the frame rail that our Onan dealership said they typically do in these situations. I also emailed FR asking to purchase the generator vent cover from the 2017 models, and they shipped me a free one! So I'm going to cut out an opening on that panel and get that installed as well. Hopefully that'll resolve our gen shut down in the heat. Will post pics later of the install.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #12

Interesting. Can't wait. I love my FR3. But momma does not like getting hot . And we boondock a lot!

Tags
breaker