Old 02-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #11
PDG

Good thought but I think you are right about power management and being careful. I think it would be difficult to achieve. Adding any additional amperage drain to an already tight spec would be challenging. I have tripped the breaker running the AC, microwave and the TV all at once. I'm not sure but I don't think we have any wiggle room with our 30 AMP service.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #12

to pdg think you have a good idea, it will be late april before I can proceed- would like to know in detail how your project goes and if you run into any snags
Thanks
Piloto
ps I am not real good at electrical and need all the help I can lol

Old 02-10-2015, 01:02 AM   #13

I recently purchased a 2015 30DS. I'm on my first trip using it and had couple issues with the facilities breaker tripping. I did make some additions to it which I totally blame.. I installed a washer/dryer. I was using it for the first time and the whole thing snapped.. My question. Is, why is the DS a 30AMP instead of a 50? I've read plenty of comments of people having the same issues, mainly with ACs. I'm very new to this and have no experience at all so pardon my questions.. Can you just add a 50 amp to the system? At the end the RV will use as much as it needs.. But seems as if 30 AMPs are not enough.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:58 AM   #14

One reason is the generator size would have to increase from a 4kw to a 6kw adding weight and cost.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #15
PDG

If you add up all the appliances the FR3 comes with as standard they add up to or come close to the 30 amp capacity of the coach. The AC I believe draws 20 amp or close to it by itself so using the AC, microwave, TV, coffee maker, a fan, toaster etc, all at once could easily exceed or come close to the 30 AMP capacity. The reason coaches with two AC's are 50 AMP service is each AC draws a lot of AMP's on its own. Adding another AC or an appliance like a washer dryer would require either an additional independent circuit or very careful power management on your part making sure you do not exceed the 30 AMP capability of the FR3. This means only running the AC or Washer Dryer but not both at the same time. I am interested where you installed the Washer Dryer unit in the coach? You must have been very creative because space is at a premium.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaavedra View Post
I recently purchased a 2015 30DS. I'm on my first trip using it and had couple issues with the facilities breaker tripping. I did make some additions to it which I totally blame.. I installed a washer/dryer. I was using it for the first time and the whole thing snapped.. My question. Is, why is the DS a 30AMP instead of a 50? I've read plenty of comments of people having the same issues, mainly with ACs. I'm very new to this and have no experience at all so pardon my questions.. Can you just add a 50 amp to the system? At the end the RV will use as much as it needs.. But seems as if 30 AMPs are not enough.

Thanks.
I don't know if this would require a separate post, but where did you put your washer/dryer and could you post a pic? thanks.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #17
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I thought I once read in the rules at a campground, that connecting to (their) power post, your camping unit can not exceed the manufactures identified power usage (CG's protection). I know 30amp breakers at the post are used 100 times more than a 50amp breaker (Had to run a 30amp extension cord to the adjacent post for power. At the time I didn't have my reducer).
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG View Post
If you add up all the appliances the FR3 comes with as standard they add up to or come close to the 30 amp capacity of the coach. The AC I believe draws 20 amp or close to it by itself so using the AC, microwave, TV, coffee maker, a fan, toaster etc, all at once could easily exceed or come close to the 30 AMP capacity. The reason coaches with two AC's are 50 AMP service is each AC draws a lot of AMP's on its own. Adding another AC or an appliance like a washer dryer would require either an additional independent circuit or very careful power management on your part making sure you do not exceed the 30 AMP capability of the FR3. This means only running the AC or Washer Dryer but not both at the same time. I am interested where you installed the Washer Dryer unit in the coach? You must have been very creative because space is at a premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsWhoDat View Post
I don't know if this would require a separate post, but where did you put your washer/dryer and could you post a pic? thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
I thought I once read in the rules at a campground, that connecting to (their) power post, your camping unit can not exceed the manufactures identified power usage (CG's protection). I know 30amp breakers at the post are used 100 times more than a 50amp breaker (Had to run a 30amp extension cord to the adjacent post for power. At the time I didn't have my reducer).

Thanks for answering my questions. I will create tomorrow a post as requested on everything I've done so far to my Fr3 pictures included.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #19
PDG

Finally completed adding 2nd AC unit

I finally completed adding the second AC unit to my 2014 FR3. I did have help with this project as I needed more expertise than I felt capable of. I installed a new Dometic Brisk II 15,000 BTU up front in the main cabin and moved the existing 13,500 BTU to the rear bedroom. First picture is a roof shot taken from the rear ladder of the FR3 where I keep it stored showing both AC units mounted in place.

Next picture shows the inside of the vent assembly removed with just the fiberglass cover remaining.

I drilled a hole from the vent wood frame inside the ceiling toward the TV cabinet with a 12" bit snaking the 3 wire electrical wire through the ceiling and grabbed it through a pilot hole right behind the molding of the cabinet.
(3rd picture) This picture is looking back inside the cabinet behind the molding.

Once the cable was pulled through the ceiling (4th picture) we pulled the cable along the inside molding and drilled a front corner hole looping the wire through the wall between both closets.

The 4th picture shown is looking up inside along the front molding, behind TV opening before I smoothed flat and cable wrapped.

4th picture is a hole made to get the cable between the rear closet wall. The wall paneling was then removed and opened to fish the cable down to the basement. (picture 5).

After cables strung through basement floor the wall and molding were pin nailed back together and you can't even tell it was opened.

Picture 6 is of the basement and the installed breaker box. I chose a "Square D" 20 amp breaker box with a 30 amp pigtail to connect to an already paid for 30' extension cord. This way I can store the extension cord in an unused area without taking up valuable basement storage, especially in this pass through area. I probably will install a hook to hold the pigtail out of the way when not in use.

The last picture is of the finished bedroom ceiling with the ceiling assembly installed and it all worked.

This configuration requires two cords to be connected to the power pedestal. I will use the 50 amp pedestal outlet to power the coach using a 50 to 30 AMP converter bone. And will connect the bedroom AC unit with the 30 amp extension cord to the pedestal's 30 AMP outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof view two AC units -2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	71039   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside vent with snaked wire.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	71040   Click image for larger version

Name:	behind TV molding .jpg
Views:	136
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	71041   Click image for larger version

Name:	cable strung to inside wall between cabinets.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	71042   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside closet wall string cable to basement.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	71043  

Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker box with plug to 20 amp extensin cord.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	71044   Click image for larger version

Name:	installed ceiling assembly.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	71045  
Old 03-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #20

Thanks for the pics and instructions hope to have money to install a 13500 to my rear soon- my front is a 15000 now.

Tags
air conditioner