Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #1

Adding a Brake Controller to FR3 28ds

Hi,
I purchased a brake controller for my 2015 28ds fr3 motorhome based on a recommendation from another FR3 owner. I cannot find the adapter behind the speedo/gauges or underneath or around the steering column. My FR3 came wired with a 7 prong adapter for my trailer. The 7 prong adapter powers up the trailer lights.
Is it possible they did not run the wire with the adapter to behind my dash or can somebody provide me a tip on where to find the controller adapter? Please call me at 307-670-0510.
Thanks,
Bob
Dolce2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #2

Hi Again,
To add to my question, does anybody know of a resource I can call who is familiar with the FR3s and can advise me on if the FR3 came equipped with a controller adapter?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce2017 View Post
Hi Again,
To add to my question, does anybody know of a resource I can call who is familiar with the FR3s and can advise me on if the FR3 came equipped with a controller adapter?

Is this on a Ford chassis?
Old 07-01-2018, 08:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Hi Again,

If it is a Ford, go to this thread where I posted pics on finding the controller harness.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ctor-3992.html
Old 07-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi,
I purchased a brake controller for my 2015 28ds fr3 motorhome based on a recommendation from another FR3 owner. I cannot find the adapter behind the speedo/gauges or underneath or around the steering column. My FR3 came wired with a 7 prong adapter for my trailer. The 7 prong adapter powers up the trailer lights.
Is it possible they did not run the wire with the adapter to behind my dash or can somebody provide me a tip on where to find the controller adapter? Please call me at 307-670-0510.
Thanks,
Bob
My FR3 came with a brake controller. It is installed on the right above the gas pedal.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks,
Bob
Believe it is behind instrument cluster, may be necessary to remove instrument panel, very easy. Or look up along steering column.

Instead of trying to get under dash with the doghouse and seat in the way it is fairly simple job to remove drivers seat and pedestal. Four bolts on floor at base of pedestal, bolts will not drop through to ground.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #7

Thanks, i found the connector. The connector was under the steering column and plugged into a connector that lead to a series of 5 wires that were taped together and stuffed up above the steering column. It was hard to find because the connector was not connected to the series of wires instead of being an open connector. Bob
Old 11-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks, i found the connector. The connector was under the steering column and plugged into a connector that lead to a series of 5 wires that were taped together and stuffed up above the steering column. It was hard to find because the connector was not connected to the series of wires instead of being an open connector. Bob

Can you share a photo?

Thank you,

Antone
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:24 PM   #9

I don’t have a picture as I installed this summer. I could FaceTime wth u and help u find the connector if that will help. Text me at 307-670-0510 and give me a couple of times . Bob
Old 11-09-2018, 12:30 AM   #10

Quote:
I don’t have a picture as I installed this summer. I could FaceTime wth u and help u find the connector if that will help. Text me at 307-670-0510 and give me a couple of times . Bob

Wow, thank you Bob, that’s quite a kind offer. I will try this Saturday. My FR3 is stored a few miles from home. I need to replace a light anyway, so that gives me an excuse to head over there. If not, perhaps 11-17? I have to pick it up for our Thanksgiving holiday trip that day.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #11

So I found the harness easy peasy. Just required a little flexibility. Question now is where did you all mount the controller?

[ATTACH]191654
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1366.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	191654  
Old 11-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #12

I mounted left of the steering wheel, just fits and out of the way.

Tags
brake control, controller, fr3