Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

Adding Clothes Rod to Front Closet

So far we really love our 30DS. Having a closet by the front door is nice, but a clothes rod would make it much nicer. With the thin/flimsy walls, putting one in could be tricky. In the back closets there are the hanger strips, which are awesome. I'm wondering if these could be added, somehow, to the front closet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMaster View Post
So far we really love our 30DS. Having a closet by the front door is nice, but a clothes rod would make it much nicer. With the thin/flimsy walls, putting one in could be tricky. In the back closets there are the hanger strips, which are awesome. I'm wondering if these could be added, somehow, to the front closet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I like the idea of some kind of rack attached to the top part of the closet. Saw a wire basket with a hanger rod attached. Could install if the closet ceiling is strong enough. Going to examine this, will let you know.
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #3

Thanks. We're trying to think of anything we can.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Motoring

If you want to use it for just coats. You could add some coat hooks to the door side. They can be 3m adhesive. If you want to hang clothes, you may want to tale a shirt hanger and see how it would fit before installing a rod. I turned mine into a pantry by adding in shelves. I also added a shelf in the cabinet next to the microwave and this weekend shelves in the large but useless medicine chest

Good luck
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto69 View Post
If you want to use it for just coats. You could add some coat hooks to the door side. They can be 3m adhesive. If you want to hang clothes, you may want to tale a shirt hanger and see how it would fit before installing a rod. I turned mine into a pantry by adding in shelves. I also added a shelf in the cabinet next to the microwave and this weekend shelves in the large but useless medicine chest Good luck
Do you have pictures? Thanks
Old 11-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

The so called medicine cabinet is also a project I'm working on. I too would appreciate any pictures you could share.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Motoring

Okay, I park at a storage facility and I didn't get a pic, but...

For the pantry. I purchased:
Qty. 2-48" shelf tracks
Qty. 2 pair’s 8" shelf track brackets (1 pair for each shelf – start with just 2 for now you can add another later if you think you want it).
Qty. 2 Laminate Shelf boards (You have to re-measure, but it’s the smallest size that will fit the closet width and the depth of the 8” shelf bracket.

All this stuff is at your big box store in the shelving section. Google Shelf Track and you’ll see what I’m describing.

We stopped at two shelves and decided that we may add a 3rd if we need it, but the floor also serves as your first shelf, for canned goods and heavy items.

Here’s how you mount it. Take your time before you drill and double check your measurements. Measure the height from the floor to the counter (I think it was 27 and ¼ inches) from the bottom of the closet to the middle of your kitchen counter. This is your main anchor put the largest size wood screw you can fit here. Move the shelf track up so that the middle screw hole is at the mark for your counter. I drilled the hole very slowly and kept checking where it came out on the other side in case I miss measured. Luckily I never saw the drill bit because it was in the counter as planned. Set her in there good with the wood screws into the counter.

I put in another set of screws in the bottom, you’ll see these are in the cabinet and won’t be visible. I was going to use a nut and bolt, but never did see where mine came out (under the cabinetry) I just put a small wood screw in for support and left it alone. Same thing happened at the top, the screw went into the work where the TV opens up – you couldn’t see it or get to it to put a nut on, I just used a wood screw for top support. I would have been comfortable with seeing small bolt on the kitchen wall, but the screw was just hidden somewhere in the TV cabinet. I just left well enough alone.

For the shelf by the microwave I used a small strip of wood horizontally to lay a shelf on and a super strong epoxy (you have to mix). I glued these horizontal strips on (hold for 6 minutes let set overnight) and cut a piece of laminate wood to fit, clipped the corner for the cord.

In both of these setups you have to cut the laminate shelves to fit your space. Table saw is great if you have it. You could do it with hand saw, kind of dreadful though. Chop saw is a little tough you’ll need a bit of hand saw as well or jig – that’s what I had to use. I’ll post pics in a few weeks when we’re out for Thanksgiving.

Hope this helps. Post some questions.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Motoring

Medicine Cabinet:
Have not built this yet, but here’s my plan. I’ve measured the opening width, height, and depth.
I’m going to build 2 sets of shelves smaller than the opening.
Think of four pieces of poplar wood framed into a square 14” inches wide X 12” height and 5 ¾ deep. The opening height is actually 19” but I’m lowering my height 7” so the top of my square will be the top shelf.
Basically build a square 14 X12 X 5.75. I’ll also insert a shelf in the middle the middle. You could really add dividers and shelves in any configuration you want.
I’ll build two of these and place them into the medicine cabinet. To stabilize them, I’m going to screw them together and put a spacer on the bottom.
I haven’t built this yet, but I think this is the easiest way to go. Because it’s a small shelf, I’m not planning to buy laminate boards, without a table saw they’re hard to cut. I’m just going to stain these shelves.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #9

I'm not sure if what I'm picturing, is what you're saying. I have gotten a couple of rough ideas and will start thinking them through. There is a lot of potential.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Professional Curmudgeon

Simply use a couple strips of plywood, about three inches wide that go from the bar down to the floor. They don't have to be very thick, and you can glue them to the existing walls. The weight of the rod and coats/clothes will be supported by the wood going to the floor, rather than the wall.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #11

More logical suggestions! The Mrs and I were debating the best way to do something like that. I was thinking a two part epoxy to secure the wood.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #12
Professional Curmudgeon

Two words:
Liquid nails
Old 11-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #13

Hadn't though about liquid nails. Used that 10 years ago to put in a tub surround and that's still holding up nicely.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Simply use a couple strips of plywood, about three inches wide that go from the bar down to the floor. They don't have to be very thick, and you can glue them to the existing walls. The weight of the rod and coats/clothes will be supported by the wood going to the floor, rather than the wall.
I like your idea, will need to consider. Thanks
Old 11-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
Professional Curmudgeon

The strength of Liquid Nails can also be it's greatest weakness. If you think you might want to return the space to original later on, you might consider something less adhesive, such as clear silicone.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
Motoring

Pantry pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3665188005.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	42966   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1823333369.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	42967   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3764862086.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	42968  
Old 11-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Pantry pics
Thanks for the pics, going to work on ours on Sunday. Have some ideas as well...
Old 11-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #18

Thanks for the pix indeed! That looks great. I'll show the Mrs and she'll tell me what my opinion is! These are some awesome ideas!
Old 11-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Okay, I park at a storage facility and I didn't get a pic, but... For the pantry. I purchased: Qty. 2-48" shelf tracks Qty. 2 pair’s 8" shelf track brackets (1 pair for each shelf – start with just 2 for now you can add another later if you think you want it). Qty. 2 Laminate Shelf boards (You have to re-measure, but it’s the smallest size that will fit the closet width and the depth of the 8” shelf bracket. All this stuff is at your big box store in the shelving section. Google Shelf Track and you’ll see what I’m describing. We stopped at two shelves and decided that we may add a 3rd if we need it, but the floor also serves as your first shelf, for canned goods and heavy items. Here’s how you mount it. Take your time before you drill and double check your measurements. Measure the height from the floor to the counter (I think it was 27 and ¼ inches) from the bottom of the closet to the middle of your kitchen counter. This is your main anchor put the largest size wood screw you can fit here. Move the shelf track up so that the middle screw hole is at the mark for your counter. I drilled the hole very slowly and kept checking where it came out on the other side in case I miss measured. Luckily I never saw the drill bit because it was in the counter as planned. Set her in there good with the wood screws into the counter. I put in another set of screws in the bottom, you’ll see these are in the cabinet and won’t be visible. I was going to use a nut and bolt, but never did see where mine came out (under the cabinetry) I just put a small wood screw in for support and left it alone. Same thing happened at the top, the screw went into the work where the TV opens up – you couldn’t see it or get to it to put a nut on, I just used a wood screw for top support. I would have been comfortable with seeing small bolt on the kitchen wall, but the screw was just hidden somewhere in the TV cabinet. I just left well enough alone. For the shelf by the microwave I used a small strip of wood horizontally to lay a shelf on and a super strong epoxy (you have to mix). I glued these horizontal strips on (hold for 6 minutes let set overnight) and cut a piece of laminate wood to fit, clipped the corner for the cord. In both of these setups you have to cut the laminate shelves to fit your space. Table saw is great if you have it. You could do it with hand saw, kind of dreadful though. Chop saw is a little tough you’ll need a bit of hand saw as well or jig – that’s what I had to use. I’ll post pics in a few weeks when we’re out for Thanksgiving. Hope this helps. Post some questions.
Thanks!! This is exactly what I want to do to our little closet!! Cowboy Bob, please take note of this my love!!

I'd also like to see the pics of the medicine cabinet when you get that done!

Thanks again!!
Pammyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Magic View Post
Thanks for the pics, going to work on ours on Sunday. Have some ideas as well...
So did not find 8" shelf brackets so going to hold off. I did install three Command Coat Hangers for now. Once I find my brackets, will install tracking. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-20154285.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	43055 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2085572619.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	43056 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4278509147.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	43057