Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #1

Adding dash brake light

Just finished adding the readybrake and emergency braking to my jeep toad and it seems to be working well. Took longer than expected of course. There is an indash LED monitor light you can add that runs from the ready brute up to the dashboard. Is there much to this installation?

I haven’t dealt with the dash before and can’t find any videos. How hard is it to tap into 12 V power for this on the dash? Any suggestions?
CSroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
LBJ

Hi CSroo,

I installed a similar system on my rig. I used the power from the radio. Setup wasn't too hard. I ran the wire inside some split loom tubing to protect it and ran it down the frame and used zip ties to hold it in place. Once I got to the drivers seat area I found there was a rubber boot where other wires had been routed. I poked a hole and routed the wire inside. For power I just used the power from the radio. It is a mess of wires under there and not too many good places to zip wire. I just did the best I could to keep it tidy.

I love having that light there, it is very reassuring to see it come on.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Old 02-02-2018, 10:16 PM   #3

Brian, I think it’ll help a lot. That’s what I needed to know. I’ll update you when I’m done. Thank you
Old 02-02-2018, 11:56 PM   #4

I setup two lights. The one indicating the RB engaging, and one triggered from the road brake switch. I like to also know then the actual brakes are on.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #5

Did mine pretty much like LBJ did his. I ran the wire to the light up the side of the dash console and tucked it down between the glass and the console so that I could mount the light in the center of the dash. That way, with my MH rear camera tilted just low enough, I can see the light come on. Of course, I'm not checking it all the time. When I first hit the road, I look to see if it comes on when I brake the MH, then I don't really pay much attention to it again.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #6

I have a light on my dash that tells me if the brake light signal from the toad brake pedal is on. (Not the tail lights powered by the motorhome but rather the original toad brake signal.) I think it is extremely important to know if the brakes in the toad are actually applied AND, MORE IMPORTANTLY, have disengaged when they are released else the system could be 'riding the brakes'.

Whatever braking system you have (Mine=Blue Ox Apollo), letting the added braking system tell you when the brakes are engaged might not be the correct status. In my case, the Apollo could move (it's located on the floor in back of the brake pedal), cause the brakes to apply/drag, and not be activated. I happen to use a 4PDT switch to go between toad and motorhome signals in the toad. Some use diode blocks or separate bulbs. If you do use the original toad brake signal, find the signal before any of the toad modification components.

Can't help on dash wiring - I have a Velcroed light for the toad brake. It is a rat's nest behind there and +12VDC is hard to come by. I've tapped the brake controller cable and the Aux power connectors on the center console.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #7

Ready Brake Light

I installed my light from the Ready Brake on the left side of the dash by the air vent. Drilled a small hole to mount it and ran wires down to fuse panel. I used a fuse box tap into the interior lights fuse at fuse panel. Works perfectly but be aware it is bright at night so don't put it where it will annoy you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lite.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	692.4 KB
ID:	161593   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	161594  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #8

Thanks for those details. That’ll help
Old 02-11-2018, 03:19 AM   #9

What’s really interesting is Here in Canada we aren’t required to use a brake buddy... we just hook and go. We’ve been through the Canadian Rockies towing a Suzuki grand vatara With no extra breaking system. And absolutely not a hitch
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light