Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #1

Air Conditioning

Anyone else having issues with the AC unit not being able to keep the unit cool once temps are above 90 outside? We've had the AC breaker trip multiple times and it's unable to keep the RV cooler than 10-15 degrees cooler than the outside temp, at best. There have been times when it was 97 outside and it was 93 inside. I have a weather station monitoring inside and outside temps. I've taken it back to Mike Thompsons RV twice now and they claim that they cannot duplicate the problem so they can't diagnose it. I'm not sure what to do next. Any feedback would be appreciated. I have a 2015 FR3, 30 foot model with a 15K BTU AC unit.
MaltnHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Not to get into an A/C class, but have you any means to measure temperatures directly at the AC? For instance, can you measure the temperature coming directly from the AC either at the closest vent, or if you have the cool dump feature, open it and take a supply side measurement. This should tell you if it is working at all and if it is, with continued monitoring you might find the compressor cutting off and with the fan continuing to run, you might think it is "on". Also, A/C does two things, remove humidity and cool the air. If you are in a high humidity area, getting indoor temps down can take a while. If you find the compressor is cutting out while the fan is continuing to circulate warm air, you could have a bad run capacitor, bad compressor, or low refrigerant charge.

I have a 36 foot 5'er with two A/C's one 15K BTU and one 30K BTU. Even with both of them on, it takes a while to cool down. Especially since the DW like to have the door open. Have you considered another AC?
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltnHops View Post
Anyone else having issues with the AC unit not being able to keep the unit cool once temps are above 90 outside? We've had the AC breaker trip multiple times and it's unable to keep the RV cooler than 10-15 degrees cooler than the outside temp, at best. There have been times when it was 97 outside and it was 93 inside. I have a weather station monitoring inside and outside temps. I've taken it back to Mike Thompsons RV twice now and they claim that they cannot duplicate the problem so they can't diagnose it. I'm not sure what to do next. Any feedback would be appreciated. I have a 2015 FR3, 30 foot model with a 15K BTU AC unit.
The biggest complaint is yours. They do not size them with a heat load and size. They just put them on. 15,000 btu is not even a ton and a half. The insulation makes it even worst. Remember the insulation value compared to a house. If you did the heat calc's your find that your undersized. They do make a 24,000 btu but they seems not to put them in ,just the RV industry as a hole. Your lucky they didn't put in a 13000 instead. When you calculate a home. To make it simple you use 250 sq. ft. per ton. And that is with R-16 insulation. So you can tell how much your really under the cap. to keep you comfortable. I know that is not what you want to hear but they are the facts.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #4

I have the exact same coach year and model as yours from the same dealer bought in May this year. I experienced the breaker tripping twice when it was 105 degrees outside in Santa Nella. It took a couple of hours to cool the coach down which is normal at that temperature but eventually it was so cold I had to turn it off. I now run the generator on the highway with the coach air and the cab air on to to pre cool the coach down before arriving in temperatures above 90 degrees. I find that to be an excellent way to keep my cool. The generator uses about 9/10 of a gallon per hour of running time.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #5

Air Conditioning

No tripped breakers but in July we went to Myrtle Beach and no way the AC could keep up. To the point we were worried about our pets. I have the 2014 30DS.

Luckily, we live north, however I will never buy another Motorhome with only 1 AC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #6

Yeah, in May we were in Joshua Tree and when we came back from our hike we found the breaker tripped and our 3 little pups stuck inside at 97 degrees! Good thing we came back when we did.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Can a second AC be installed? Is it prepped for that?
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #8

I have written a very long post about our struggle to get our AC problem resolved. It's called "why won't FR work with our dealer" or something like that.

While our AC can run all day now without tripping the circuit I don't know how effective it will be in cooling the unit in very warm temps.

Private message me if you want more details or can't find my post.

auntieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #9

I do not see how 1 A/C is going to keep that rig cool. With slide outs and the temps you need to get another A/C installed, its not that expensive and well worth it. As others have said don't purchase a RV with 1 A/C you won't be happy.. We have 2 in our GT 378XL and during the summer months both run to keep ours around 74 inside. If you have the quick cool feature open that up and should help cool you down some and use a fan to move and circulate the air.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieshoes View Post
I have written a very long post about our struggle to get our AC problem resolved. It's called "why won't FR work with our dealer" or something like that.

While our AC can run all day now without tripping the circuit I don't know how effective it will be in cooling the unit in very warm temps.
Here's the post:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rse-65868.html
Old 11-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #11

We have the same coach, with the same issues, and have looked into getting a second A/C. We've been told that if we do, we'll lose the vent in the bedroom and it would be on a separate system, which doesn't bother us much, since there are openable windows back there anyway. In the meantime, we're running the house A/C for a little while on the generator before we reach our destination. That coupled with the front A/C seems to cool it down fairly well.
Landshark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #12

So I've been looking into it and we'd have to run wire and install a new breaker in the panel for another AC unit. On top of that, the existing generator wouldn't be able to run both AC's at the same time.

Had I known this we wouldn't have bought this rig. A friend of my wife's bought the same rig and has had the same issues from the same dealer, and now is in contact with an attorney to see if there are any legal options. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Has anyone put another AC unit on the FR3 yet? If so, what was the experience and outcome?

2015 FR3 30

Old 11-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #13

I managed to survive at Road Atlanta for Nationals in 93* heat, 80% humidity, sitting on blacktop. Contrary to popular belief, the A/C CAN keep up, but there are some things you need to do to help it along. Things like:

1. Positioning the RV to manipulate how the sun hits it, if possible. For instance, we were parked in the pro paddock facing north. We rolled the awning out in the morning to keep the sun off the side of the RV

2. Keep the shades closed. Use vent insulation pads.

3. Close the bathroom sliding door and open the dump flap. Yes, this will limit you to staying mostly in the living area and out of the bedroom.

Even in this case, the living area was comfortable, and by the time the sun set, we could switch back to the vents and the bedroom/shower area was comfortable again. No point in cooling space youre not using...
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner