Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #1

Amp Meter Installation

I am new to this Forum, but not new to motorhomes, my new FR3 is my 5th MH. On previous MHs I had an amp meter so when I was plugged into shore power I could see how much I was using,, ie, so if the microwave was going I would look to see if there was enough juice to start the toaster. My FR3 did not come with an Amp Useage meter, has anyone installed one?

Love the floor plan and many other things on this MH, but have had to add several things like, solar panels, tranfer box, inside switch for water heater, air horns, separate switch for awning lights, fans and fan covers, stabilizer bars, window awnings and a few more things. Guess thats what happens when you downsize from a 42 foot deisel pusher!

Thanks
Jill in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Most install a Progressive Industries PMS which gives you volts, amps, frequency, surge protection and circuit status. Lots of threads on the subject.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #3

Thanks so much !, will check on previous threads
Old 05-29-2015, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill in Oregon View Post
I am new to this Forum, but not new to motorhomes, my new FR3 is my 5th MH. ...

Guess thats what happens when you downsize from a 42 foot deisel pusher!

Thanks
Just being Nosey, but why did you decide to downsize? Most people here are in the process of continuous upgrade, so I am just curious.

Also, welcome to the forum!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

I use my MH mainly for going to dog shows. Hopefully in the near future for some fun traveling too.
I've gone from a 22 foot Winnebago Chiefton (quite a while ago) to a 32 Itasca to a 40 foot Monoco to a 42 foot Damon Tuscany with 4 slide,, called it the Queen Mary, haha,
once set up it was wonderful, but for me just too much maintenance (seems like if it didn't get driven for a month or so, it had to have something done in service before going on a trip) plus when you have that much room, you tend to over pack,, 50 trips to load everything and 38 trips when I got home of unused stuff! So the FR3, though slightly barebones compared to what I've had, is nice, drives really well, can acutally be turned around in my drive way and because of the what we call "the loft" that is always down, the dogs can be up there and not take up floor space.
And right now, gas is cheaper than diesel.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #6

Diesel is cheaper than gas in CA. Diesel is barely over $3 and gas is just under $4.

2015 FR3 30DS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MaltnHops is offline   Reply With Quote